Page 1 of 2
Christmas? I want to spend around $200-300. Do you have any suggestions for guitars, too?
Amazon has good deals sometimes. GuitarCenter and Musician's Friend (owned by GC) have specials frequently as well. From what I understand the high end stuff (Taylor, Martin, etc) never goes on sale though, but you won't get any high end stuff even on sale for only $300, so no biggie.

I'd highly recommend the Taylor Big Baby. It's a 15/16 Dreadnaught with a great Taylor neck. You can get them for $420 or so new, but used you can often find them for $250 or less. I saw one awhile back on Craigslist for $200, think that was the lowest. It's going to be a classic. 20 years from now people will still be playing these guitars and loving them. I think it's the best guitar I ever played under $500.

If you want to go cheaper there is Epiphone. I like their guitars and think they are great values for the money. I played a PR-150 awhile back that was amazing.
Last edited by TobusRex at Jun 23, 2016,
The 4th of July is right around the corner. This assumes of course, you're buying new, you'll be buying from Musician's Friend, and you'll be shopping in the USA.
there is no "best time"...there is always any sale anywhere...you just have to investigate...and it ofe course depends on in which Country you are living...
I forgot to mention that I want a 7-stringer. Which acoustic-electrics do you recommend with 7 strings?
In that price range, it's gonna be hard to beat a Yamaha. As for 7-strings, I have no idea who if anyone makes 7- string acoustic or the price. Whatever you get, make sure it has a soild top.
Quote by NostraHistoria
I forgot to mention that I want a 7-stringer. Which acoustic-electrics do you recommend with 7 strings?
And I forgot mention, "good luck with that"....

Taylor has a 7 string, list price $2899.00 https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gs7

Incidentally, a quick Google search turned up quite a few 7 string offerings. So the question becomes, "was your 'dramatic pause' posting tactic, simply an attempt to astonish and impress us"?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 23, 2016,
Never even seen a 7 string acoustic so I can't help you there. My "best deals" were always bought used in like new condition on CL for 1/2 of retail price. Tough to beat that anywhere.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
at your price range, i don't think one exists, and even at a much higher price, it isn't gonna be easy. maybe you can find a used ibanez AEL207E for not too much above your budget.
http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_ag_page15.php?year=2015&cat_id=3&series_id=90&data_id=61&color=CL01
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
. . . at your price range, i don't think one exists, and even at a much higher price, it isn't gonna be easy. . . . .

I agree. I wish you luck.
patticake

After I made my original post, I did research on Google. That Ibanez seems to be one of only two I could find. Dean makes one, too. http://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=819998188085
Quote by NostraHistoria
patticake

After I made my original post, I did research on Google. That Ibanez seems to be one of only two I could find. Dean makes one, too. http://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=819998188085

the dean's a good find, but the problem is it's a thin body. if you want to play it acoustically, it's not going to have much depth of sound or bass. if you only plan to play it plugged in, you can probably adjust your amp or eq to improve things.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I have played a few Dean and Ibanez AE acoustics and thought they were godawful. It's been a few years so maybe they have improved but compared to Yamaha, Seagull, Breedlove they were weak sauce. Choose wisely.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
3am when the power is out

Just curious, but what do you want a 7 string acoustic for anyway?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jun 25, 2016,
To accompany my 7 string electric guitars. The life of 6 strings are numbered.
Quote by NostraHistoria
To accompany my 7 string electric guitars. The life of 6 strings are numbered.

A lot of people accompany 7 string guitars with 6s. It sounds like you just don't know how to integrate the two properly without playing the acoustic the same way you would play an electric. As for your statement about 6 strings being numbered...

99.9% of guitar music is played on 6 strings. Probably about the same percentage of guitars have 6 strings. The percentage of guitar players that have never played a 7 string is likely in the very upper 90s and the vast majority of them have little to no intent of ever playing a 7 string.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Cajundaddy
I have played a few Dean and Ibanez AE acoustics and thought they were godawful. It's been a few years so maybe they have improved but compared to Yamaha, Seagull, Breedlove they were weak sauce. Choose wisely.

while i agree, the OP wants a 7 string guitar for $300 or under. the dean comes closest, but the ibanez could be had for that used, and it's going to sound better as deans aren't great to begin with and this one is a thin body.
Quote by Skeet UK
I only wish I could find a used 7 string. They are really hard to find. It looks like I will be waiting for years.
you might be. are you searching on ebay and reverb?
Quote by Skeet UK
If you are fine with a nylon string, try looking for a Russian guitar. In Russia, classical guitars typically have 7 strings tuned DGBDGBD. There's no reason why you couldn't string it like a regular 7 string and it might net some search results that wouldn't come up for "7 string guitar." Also after listening to the songs on your SoundCloud page... yeah, I wouldn't be concerned with how the acoustic sounds because your distorted guitar sound will make anything sound like a million bucks in comparison. Might want to consider working on that before you worry about adding acoustic guitar into things.
Quote by patticake
you might be. are you searching on ebay and reverb?

I looked at both. I only found one used one on Sam Ash, but it is gone now.
Quote by theogonia777
If you are fine with a nylon string, try looking for a Russian guitar. In Russia, classical guitars typically have 7 strings tuned DGBDGBD. There's no reason why you couldn't string it like a regular 7 string and it might net some search results that wouldn't come up for "7 string guitar." Also after listening to the songs on your SoundCloud page... yeah, I wouldn't be concerned with how the acoustic sounds because your distorted guitar sound will make anything sound like a million bucks in comparison. Might want to consider working on that before you worry about adding acoustic guitar into things.

I record straight into an audio interface from my JCM 900's preamp.
A big part of the sound of a guitar amp is the speakers and cabinet (even in a combo amp), which provides a natural low pass filter that makes the sound listenable. You really should be miking the amp instead of doing a DI otherwise it is going to sound... the way that it sounds now, which is very bad. If you absolutely have to DI for whatever reason, at the very least run a cabinet simulator in your DAW. It won't sound as good as the amp miked, but will at least sound loads better than what you have now. Honestly if you are not going to be miking your amp, you might be better off running a whole amp simulator plugin.
You are not the first one to tell me. Can you give me some suggestions on which ones to get? I never researched them.
Thanks. Whenever I get some free time, I will experiment.
I was able to find the Ibanez used for $292 with shipping included. Do you think I should get it or just wait until more companies make 7 string acoustic-electrics for cheaper prices? It is bound to happen, right?
Quote by NostraHistoria
It is bound to happen, right?

Outside of Russian classical guitar, there is almost zero demand for 7 string acoustic guitars and there won't be in the foreseeable future.
Quote by NostraHistoria
I was able to find the Ibanez used for $292 with shipping included. Do you think I should get it or just wait until more companies make 7 string acoustic-electrics for cheaper prices? It is bound to happen, right?

i'd say it's very unlikely to happen. there are less 7 string electrics being made now than a few years ago, and at no time in my over 4 decades of playing acoustic has there been a demand for 7 string acoustics.
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by patticake
i'd say it's very unlikely to happen. there are less 7 string electrics being made now than a few years ago, and at no time in my over 4 decades of playing acoustic has there been a demand for 7 string acoustics.
Are you sure at sometime in the future, a manufacturer won't be strapped for cash flow, and put out a half dozen models of 7 strings just to snag that $200.00 or $300.00 from our TS.

And with that said, I checked YouTube for some videos of Nightwish & Xandria. (They're pretty "brootal", at least to my aging ears). Try as I might, I could only count 6 strings on any of their guitars. Did see a 5 string bass though, (I think).

Meh, maybe when all us old "dinosaurs" die off, it will be a 7 string world.
I can get it used for $261.37. What do you think?
Quote by NostraHistoria

is the seller reliable?
Quote by Skeet UK
Yes. It is one of the big brick and mortar companies we all know.
Quote by NostraHistoria
I'm kind of baffled as to why you want our opinion as to whether or not you should buy this.. As the old saying goes, "there isn't anyplace around here like this place, this must be the place". Ergo, what exactly are you other choices in 7 strings, at your budget? That was a rhetorical question. I know the answer, and it's "none", at least as of today).

Thus far, you've kept as in suspense, (albeit temporarily), as to even what kind of guitar.

Proposed an absurdly low budget based on the type on instrument.

Then explained to us how, "the 6 string guitar's days are numbered".

With those points brought to light, I don't believe I know enough about guitars to make a recommendation, nor am I willing to be blamed if any deal on a used instrument goes sideways. Particularly one done sight unseen through the internet.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 26, 2016,
Ibanez AEL207E
What do you even plan on doing with it? I know that you said you want to accompany your electric 7 strings, but what specifically are you doing where you need a 7 string? Generally speaking, bands that use 7 and 8 string electrics tend to still only play 6 strings if they use acoustics.
Enjoy it, and add acoustic tracks to songs to diversify them. I never had an acoustic-electric guitar before. I only have had two classical guitars.
But what I'm saying is for what you plan on doing, do you really need a 7 string? Because with an acoustic guitar if you don't absolutely need a 7 string, then it probably is not really worth limiting yourself in terms of options when a 6 string could do everything that you need. Like if you are adding acoustic guitar to songs, do you need a 7 string for that? Do you need a 7 string to be able to just enjoy the guitar? Do you get what I'm asking? I'm not trying to convince you that you shouldn't get a 7 string acoustic. I'm just saying that, given the limited selection, particularly in your price range, you should really think about whether or not you need a 7 string because you really might not.
After I bought my seven string guitars, I really regretted getting a six string guitar earlier in the year. Once you go to seven strings, you only want to use seven string guitars.
Page 1 of 2