Page 1 of 2
i think this could be interesting and generate some talk.

so what tone are you hooked on at the moment?

can be from a recording, from your fingers, through your amp. what are you into at the moment?

discuss.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
for me i am hooked on my hermida zendrive and pigtronix philosopher king and to my musiicman HD130 212.

it is very alive, it just sparkles right for me at the moment. a little gain on tap on the OD, running it with reverb through the amp. the compressor is awesome and nice for leveling out some stuff for fast hybrid picked leads. i prefer the compressor off unless i am doing that though, i like the dynamics that the zendrive feeds the amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Lately, I've been hooked on Electric Wizard's tone. Specifically Funeralopolis, been stuck in my head for weeks.

Also the tone of a Les Paul with beefy strings in drop A and B standard. Takes that throaty tone they have and turns it into a guteral roar. Run it through some light overdrive and play some minor chord formations, my favorites being Dm Am and Em. Maybe throw in a C major formation. Also single string patterns with those chords
Last edited by Liaztraht at Jun 23, 2016,
Liaztraht electric wizard is awesome. Good tone too.

I was stuck on the Rockerverb pushed with a zvex mastotron. Instant doom tone.

I built a fuzz the other day that is the thickest fuzz i have ever used. Absolutely destroyed compressed nastiness.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The John Mayer pushed clean and the Tom Quale clean from his pedal board video fairly recently
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
P90's into a SLO
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
P90's into a SLO

I haven't ever tried a slo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I built a fuzz the other day that is the thickest fuzz i have ever used. Absolutely destroyed compressed nastiness.

I've built a fuzz before. But the circuit was too noisy for loud use. Considering doing a Devi build. The hyperion sounds so sweet.
Quote by Liaztraht
I've built a fuzz before. But the circuit was too noisy for loud use. Considering doing a Devi build. The hyperion sounds so sweet.

I have the schem and have enough components for quite a few of them. I want to do a zvex sho too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I have the schem and have enough components for quite a few of them. I want to do a zvex sho too.

Honestly, now I'm really digging the idea of that tone. Drop a l.p. into a hyperion into my supreme with the tdynamics turned down a bit for some saggy output transformer compression...
Look up "bazz fuss" you can build one in probably less 30mins. Its a single transistor single volume pot simple fuzz that is pretty bitchin'. I have built a few different versions.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I'm hooked on the sound of a les paul neck pickup with the volume and tone backed off just a little, into a not quite clean amp - set so that there's a little bit of grit in the sound when I pluck the string a bit harder. it's such a sweet tone, and most of my amps can do this type of thing really well but the normal channel of my AC30 with my homemade colorsound overdriver clone boosing the treble and bass (working like a 'pre-gain' top boost) generally does it best.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Gear: I guess my Green Rhino as a slight solo boost, though I've been hooked on it for years now. Any amp really, though right now I'm using it on my XXX crunch channel.
Bands: The most recent work with a tone I'm hooked on is the new Deftones album, though as far as guitar tone specifically goes it's similar to the last few releases.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 23, 2016,
I'm digging the tones I've been getting out of my Crate Vintage Club actually. Particularly the neck pup tones. I've posted this here before but here's a quick clip of it:

https://soundcloud.com/guitarbytes/crate-vc30-lead-neck-pickup

Also, older plexi tones that sound like the amp is about to explode:

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Look up "bazz fuss" you can build one in probably less 30mins. Its a single transistor single volume pot simple fuzz that is pretty bitchin'. I have built a few different versions.

I've looked into that, also a one knob fuzz variant like a meathead or a BAT ritual.
well I've been working on a good blues rock tone for both my Strat and my BC Rich Eagle. tough going so far as I'd like to not sound exactly like my influences but still come up with tones for each that could work for them as well as original material.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

DOD/Digitech has a new fuzz coming out that is total doom in a box. thought Electric Wizard as soon as I heard dmo
Quote by monwobobbo
DOD/Digitech has a new fuzz coming out that is total doom in a box. thought Electric Wizard as soon as I heard dmo

I will have to check it out. What's it called?
I know they have one designed in part by BAT.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Jun 23, 2016,

This is what I am now. People change.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I tend not to shift from one particular taste to another as quickly as an hour.

But basically anything with Systematic Chaos on it has a pretty godlike guitar tone.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I can't pin a specific tone or even good reason, but lately I've been dialing the gain on my amp back in favor of a bit more clarity. I used to run the Gain setting on the dirty channel around 2 o clock and the Drive around 3 o clock, but now both are dialed back to around 1 o clock.

Probably has to do with me playing along to more Clutch and The Sword.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I haven't ever tried a slo.
Well, I'm not using an actual SLO myself. I am using two Jaded Faith SLO modules in my RM100 which pulls off a very convincing SLO.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Liaztraht
I will have to check it out. What's it called?
I know they have one designed in part by BAT.

can't remember had an actual name that started with a C. not out yet. wild graphic on the pedal which is not the norm for them.
I've been trying to dial in a "Look What the Cat Dragged In"/"Kickstart My Heart" hair band crunch and Guns N' Roses AFD tones on my Mesa Roadster lately. I really, really like that amp! Brit and Raw modes are very useful for these.

Big change from the Thrash Metal tightness I normally run.

Hairbands I'm using Brit, Spongy, 50W, Budda Zenman Boost, and a MXR Black Label Chorus up FRONT. Actually like the Duncan JB for these tones
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by monwobobbo
can't remember had an actual name that started with a C. not out yet. wild graphic on the pedal which is not the norm for them.

The Carcosa:
http://dod.com/en-US/products/carcosa-fuzz
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
P90s + evil, velcro-chaotic fuzz + (Fender) Blackface.

I just got a Walrus Audio Janus last week and I been having a blast with it. Lately I been playing on a p90 loaded Agile DC LP Special knockoff and my usual RM20 with the Blackface module. I also use a Klone that's always on aside from when I'm using the fuzz.

The Janus fuzz gets frickin' evil, I been doing a lotta wall of fuzz type riffs and ridiculously noisy loops. Giggling like a lil kid the whole time cause I sound so righteously evil. My very prude, conservative, classical music loving roommate probably thinks I've gone crazy lately, lol. Definitely my new favorite fuzz.

And despite the $260 new price, my Agile AD2300, that I picked up several months ago so have spent some time with it, is a damn fine player! I'm not a huge fan of the p90s individually but together they make for a great tone. Much like my Agile AL2000, I just can't get over how cheap but good these guitars are.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
^I like my Agile strat enough... I mean it doesn't say "Fender" on it but I would put it up next to any MIM Fender any day of the week; and the Agile will probably stay in tune better.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I have a Duncan Alternative 8 in my Les Paul bridge running into a Pigtronix Class A Boost at about one o'clock (unity is at about eleven o'clock for some odd reason) so it gives me just a little bit of boost.

The boost is running into an MXR Custom Badass Modified OD with the gain at roughly 7:30 (so, very close to all the way down) and the level all the way up.

This is running into a Boogie Heartbreaker on the lust channel (supposedly a plexi approximation but I'm just not hearing it) with the gain at about 12:30 to 1:00 most of the time, or 3:00 to 4:00-ish for spongy feeling solo stuff.

I then run the amp into a Two Notes Torpedo Reload so as not to go deaf or get evicted (and it's the best thing that ever happened to recording guitar at home by the way) and I use the contour knob on the Reload to finish it off before heading into a 4x12 loaded with greenbacks (soon to be fitted with two Celestion golds in the top half).

This all seems to add a ton of harmonics without screwin' up the clarity but it doesn't do anything for sustain unless I'm up in that 3:00-4:00 range. If I up the gain on the OD it adds compression that I don't want though. How does one increase sustain with gain without adding compression to the sound? I'm guessing you can't ... I probably need a better guitar or a place to play without the attenuator.

There's definitely an early 80's vibe to it (very early 80's). I think with a bit of EQ and a different Les Paul I could have a halfway decent Rhoads tone going (but with a much fatter bottom end [when needed]). Probably closer to a Diary of a Madman tone than Blizzard of Ozz I would say.

The shortcoming is that I decided to give these Telefunken Black Diamond EL34's a try (cryo JJ's as far as I've heard). They have very limited dynamics. The Tung-Sol's I had in it were way more dynamic but their bottom end is complete crap when driven hard. On the upside, I've been running the Telefunkens since December of 2014 and they're still going strong (the Tung-Sol's and Mesa tubes started to lose their high-end at about the 9 month mark).

Anyway, that was fun to explain... lol
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Quote by monwobobbo

I found it. It was the Carcosa. Too splatty for my taste, yet oddly I really want it. Add that to my tone of the hour. Haha.
So, I guess I have three tones in my head right now. First, I recently got my Classic 50 fixed, so it's the last amp I've played. Cranked up, pregain up 3/4 of the way, gets a good raw tone, kinda Sabbath but brighter.

Second is my Stiletto set up for a smooth vocal lead tone, I use that at church.

Last is anything like Killswitch Engage, which I attempt to create with my Ultra with a TS in front and eq in the loop. Makes me want to maim small mammals.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
emg 81 through randall diavlo/verter 30.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
i dug out a tele that i haven't played for quite a while at my studio, so i strung it and plugged it into the tiny terror. sounds great. awesome dirty blues/rock, really alive. the tele is a USA model with dimarzio twang kings. i LOVE that neck pickup.

at the house i have been using a cmatmods brownie into a sovtek MIG 50. its pretty neat especially when you turn it up a bit on the second input. i like that pedal best going into the MIG, even better than the brownie into the rivera. for that i am stuck on my USA wolfgang.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I am stuck on two at the moment: my Albert Lee into my Zvex Fuzz Factory into the clean channel of my Mark IV, set up for a more old-school wooly kind of sound, and the lead channel on my Mark IV with my Silhouette.

Both are super tasty and sing for days, just in different ways.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
surf tones, like this one.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Can't really provide a reference, but it's my Sheraton 2 into my Blackstar's clean channel, a light crunch provided by a Guv'Nor Plus, pickup selector to mid with slightly rolled off bridge volume and both tones.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I have been trying to get a certain tone out of my Valveking. Lately, I've really been digging the later Mastodon stuff, and since the VK is only a two channel amp, I have been experimenting with the dirty channel to try to get a 3rd channel out of it. Basically, the clean channel is nice and warm. When I go to the dirty channel, it is under saturation, so picking through chords sounds clear, but gritty. I kick on my MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive that gets me to saturation, and my primary heavy tone. I'm still messing with it to get it fine tuned, but so far, I like what I'm hearing. My main band (I am the rhythm guitarist) it works fine with, but I might be doing another project soon, which will call for me to play leads, which means I will likely be needing another OD as a clean boost for leads. I don't think the volume or gain boosts on the VK will get me where i want to be, so I think I might get a Tube Screamer mini because it seems to be the best sounding TS on the market right now.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
ive been stuck on EVH's tone on the Balance and 5150 albums....I love it. the tones on summer nights and Amsterdam are killer. I have it dialed in pretty close on my 5150iii using some fx from my line 6 m13. I use my Michael Kelly 59 telecaster with a mini 59 in the bridge to get the tones. I just cant get enough of it
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Page 1 of 2