Page 1 of 2
By languages I mean Slavic languages cuz y'all don't know shit about Eastern Europe.

Ukrainian vs Belarussian is hard for me. i don't even know what Rusin is so it doesn't count. everything else is easy.

but srs

this is also cool but you have to hide the tab for it to be a quiz

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
The only language I speak is US Dollar.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It all sounds like a donkey and a camel gargling each others cum.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
has to be said that i pity anyone who can understand slovene in both clips, it's like they actually made sure to find the most obnoxious speakers possible

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
I usually seem to guess correctly if something is Polish or Russian. Other than that I know absolutely nothing about Slavic languages, I'm afraid
do the euro ones

specifically these ones cuz the slovenian example is actually very good

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
I'll admit that I don't know much about Slavic languages other than a limited vocabulary of Russian.

But it doesn't really matter, I am a native English speaker, the language everyone that's not a native English speaker wishes they could speak and the most common second language, most influential language and the language of international business and air traffic control.

So there's that...

(Edited for Jam)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 23, 2016,
calm down this is just for fun

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak

It was a joke. I'll edit a smiley in so it's more obvious.
Charles Darwin
Quote by JamSessionFreak

Wait for his centrum and Metamucil to kick in. He'll be good
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
do the euro ones

i think the real issue is who has the hottest newsreaders?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Wait for his centrum and Metamucil to kick in. He'll be good

You should try it, you wouldn't be so full of shit...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
You should try it, you wouldn't be so full of shit...

But then I wouldn't be able to do an authentic Arby impression and I love doing that.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
But then I wouldn't be able to do an authentic Arby impression and I love doing that.

I'd love to see that!

Also, quit teasing jake, it's wrong to take advantage of his disability.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I'd love to see that!

Also, quit teasing jake, it's wrong to take advantage of his disability.

On second thought it's too much effort. I'm not red, white and blue blooded enough to pull it off with conviction.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Arby911
I'll admit that I don't know much about Slavic languages other than a limited vocabulary of Russian.

But it doesn't really matter, I am a native English speaker, the language everyone that's not a native English speaker wishes they could should probably learn to speak and the most common second language, most influential language and the language of international business and air traffic control.

So there's that...

(Edited for Jam)

fixed
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Jun 23, 2016,
Quote by ultimate-slash
fixed

Not entirely wrong, but amusing coming from someone who learned English as a second language...

Here's the deal. You can all give me as much shit as you want. But you're doing it here. In English.

Charles Darwin
these are two very unpopular opinions but my two favourite languages to listen to are dutch and portugese.

as someone with an eastern european surname and who looks vaguely slavic/balkan I really wish I could speak one of those obscure cool languages, they're not exactly like spanish or french where you can learn them later in life.
It probably doesn't help to admit I've taken English classes for about 10 years of my life and am now working for a British company... Where 9 out of 10 emails I send are in English
Quote by JamSessionFreak
do the euro ones

Damn, I got nothing that wasn't Germanic or Romance...
I can see why you'd prefer this vid to represent your language, but I'm a bit disappointed in the Dutch clip
Quote by Arby911

But it doesn't really matter, I am a native English speaker, the language everyone that's not a native English speaker wishes they could speak and the most common second language, most influential language and the language of international business and air traffic control.

So there's that...

(Edited for Jam)

I get that there's stupid people in every country but I hate the US because the majority of americans earnestly think this way
Quote by genghisgandhi
these are two very unpopular opinions but my two favourite languages to listen to are dutch and portugese.

I like Portuguese in that it tricks me into thinking someone is trying to speak every language in existence simultaneously.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I get that there's stupid people in every country but I hate the US because the majority of americans earnestly think this way

I don't think that's the case. Now granted, I don't know the majority of americans, but I don't know anyone personally that actually believes that English is inherently superior.

It is convenient that it's the most common second language though, because it makes travel without learning another language much easier for many.
I had to send an employee to Israel recently and he was worried about the language barrier because he speaks English and Spanish. I almost laughed at him since most Israeli's speak English quite well.
Charles Darwin
Quote by ultimate-slash
I like Portuguese in that it tricks me into thinking someone is trying to speak every language in existence simultaneously.

So we all sound like Gary??
I actually took Russian as an undergrad, on a whim, but I really don't remember anything now -- I didn't go into comp. lit. or anything, so I haven't used it at all -- not like I was fluent or anything -- I could probably do a refresher & pick it back up pretty quick. I've been focusing on French lately, though (when I remember).
not gonna lie when i heard portuguese in that video i thought it was polish for a fair bit of time

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I thought I was good at learning languages until I started learning Chinese

zhongwen tai nan le
PM me for newts
Question at JamSession: are the slavic tongues as similar to each other as the romance languages? Since I took French in school I understand a good deal of Italian/Spanish in addition to French. Would you, for example, kinda be able to understand if some guy was speaking to you in Czech? Or at least understand some of the words?
Man Polish sounds awesome.

EDIT: Oh my god Slovenian has the pretty musicality of Portuguese. Why did I think these countries would just sound Russian
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jun 24, 2016,
I know some Spanish and was learning Russian for a while before I forgot. Should study up on both again.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Man Polish sounds awesome.

EDIT: Oh my god Slovenian has the pretty musicality of Portuguese. Why did I think these countries would just sound Russian

Because they all look the same when squatting in their track suits?
Quote by TobusRex
Question at JamSession: are the slavic tongues as similar to each other as the romance languages? Since I took French in school I understand a good deal of Italian/Spanish in addition to French. Would you, for example, kinda be able to understand if some guy was speaking to you in Czech? Or at least understand some of the words?

Slavic was still a single language around the 7th or 8th century, Slavic languages diverged much later than Germanic and Romance languages and have a higher rate of mutual intelligibility, at least from my experience.

When younger generations encounter Serbians, Croatians, Bosnians we just each speak in our own languages and can hold a conversation just fine even though neither of us ever learned the other's language, although it's more difficult for them to understand Slovene than vice-versa. Older generations are generally fluent in Serbo-Croatian. Bulgarian and Macedonian, which are also South Slavic languages are practically unintelligible to me.

Czech and even more so Slovak are fairly similar to Slovene as well but much less to Serbo-Croatian. I can kinda make out the topic of conversation when listening to their native speakers and I never needed English menus when visiting the Czech Republic. I was able to read a page of text about our hotel in Brno pretty well, without needing to check the English version. Polish is much more difficult - the words tend to have the same roots but the pronunciation and spelling is radically different.

As for the East Slavic languages - Russian, Ukrainian and Belarussian - it's very difficult to understand them. It's much easier in written form but still very difficult. Generally once you get a text translated the words make perfect sense, usually they use words that are archaic in Slovene or use different roots which make sense in retrospect. The pronunciation can be radically different. I think it's probably similar to Anglophones reading Old English or something like that.

And kurva / kurwa / kurba is the word which connects all Slavic languages.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Jun 24, 2016,
I could tell what most of them were. However, I'm currently reading a textbook about European languages so I don't think this is representative of my natural ability. I mean I am pretty good at learning languages ngl but I feel like I cheated on this somehow because I don't actually know any Eastern European languages.

I would like to learn Russian (and many other languages) eventually but the most I've done is to learn the Cyrillic alphabet. I just started teaching myself French two days ago so one thing at a time
cat
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I thought I was good at learning languages until I started learning Chinese

I don't know how it sounds, but Chineasy is great for learning how to read it. Learned quite a bit from following the lady that made it in muh fb days. Only other language needed to be learned besides English. (heh)... in a few years.
Page 1 of 2