So I got back into guitar late last year and started drumming early this year but I really suck and don't know what to do. I want to make my own punk rock albums (recording all the tracks myself) but don't know where to start, I don't really wanna do lessons because I kinda wanna self learn, but I just don't know what to do. If anyone who plays this type of music is free to chat, please just shoot me a message, I'm really stuck on what to do
Heres some samples of some of my stuff
https://soundcloud.com/anthony-la-rocca-3
Don’t look up at the poster on your wall and think, "Fuck, I can never do that." Look at the poster on your wall and think, "Fuck, I’m going to do that!"
Last edited by thesanchez101 at Jun 24, 2016,
Ok, if you don't wanna do lessons, then go on Youtube and look at some guitar tutorials.
Secondly, practice. Practice makes perfect.
That's really it. There's no magic secret.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
i_lovemetallica I don't know where to start though, like there are so many things to learn and I don't know what to start off with
Don’t look up at the poster on your wall and think, "Fuck, I can never do that." Look at the poster on your wall and think, "Fuck, I’m going to do that!"
Quote by thesanchez101
i_lovemetallica I don't know where to start though, like there are so many things to learn and I don't know what to start off with

Well, just listening to your soundcloud stuff, look for some vids on timekeeping perhaps. There were a few bits in the tracks where you lost the beat and it got a tad messy.

It really depends on what you want to learn. Do you want to learn about neat chord progressions? Solos? Go into a music store and buy a songbook on Punk music or something similar, and practice it over and over.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Mastering one instrument at a time would be a good start. I didn't listen to the recording though.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
If you have some favourite bands, learn from them. Learn to play their songs and see and hear how they play. You can for instance take one of their songs, keep the song's structure like that and invent your own guitar and drum parts. The end result will sound your own.

You can play really simple stuff and sound good, but one thing is a must and it is timing. If you record something and your guitar and drums are not in time with each other rerecord it until you get it right. Record in shorter segments if keeping time is hard at the beginning.
you're better at guitar, so i'd take it easy on drums and focus on guitar.start by learning all your favorite songs either by ear if you're really punk otherwise tabs are cool too. once you can play like 10-11 songs smoothly along with the track off youtube or your phone or whatever I'd say youre ready to write a song. by the time you can do that, you'd have much better timing so your drumming would probably improve too. when you wanna write your own songs, just use the same song structures and drum beats from your favorite songs and start with their chord progressions as a template but switch the order of the chords around.
Quote by matt bickerton
If you want to play punk rock, you definitely don't need lessons
oh man. good one.

practice.

youre already doing better than i ever did. i tried to record my own punk shit a while back but just ended up getting frustrated with the recording software and gave up and got high instead.

edit: and just my personal preference, but i wouldnt try and record any kind of "serious" shit if youre gonna do vocals. stick with dumb shit like the dead milkmen or angry samoans did.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Last edited by jakesmellspoo at Jun 24, 2016,
Pick a song and learn the riffs. Keep it simple. Sounds like you're over-doing it.
just learn 3 chords

that's what punk is right?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
Quote by kalypto
just learn 3 chords

that's what punk is right?

Even Simpler than that. Root, Fifth, Octave. 1 shape
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
Quote by matt bickerton
If you want to play punk rock, you definitely don't need lessons

Man that made my day best reply on this thread!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge