Don't rage I don't know much about active pick ups or the general electronics of guitars, I recently bought a new guitar and today when I played with the toggle set on the bridge pick up I couldn't get any sound out of it. I thought it was a problem with the jack but the neck pick-up works fine, and I can get a sound out of it with it on the middle setting as well. It's just mute at full bridge.

Does anyone know if this is could be just that the battery is faulty? Or is it more likely a problem with the bridge pick up or toggle switch connection. I haven't dropped or bumped this guitar into anything yet so I can't see how I must've fked it up.

Both pick ups are active EMGs 81-85s.

Thanks in advance

Current update, I just tried it again, it turns out I can get a very faint sound on the bridge pick up this time. I can only hear it when I have the volume turned on maximum, and with my od pedal on max but it just comes out clean. does this change anything about it?

I'm considering going to the shop like some of you suggested it's probably best I don't touch it and screw it up further
how do you edit signature?
Last edited by arvarna at Jun 24, 2016,
First thing to check is any loose connections from the pickup and the toggle switch and go from there.
If you don't know anything about pick ups or wiring it could be worse if you start messing around there. I know it's a pain, but take it to a guitar shop and ask them to take a look at it. Worst comes to worst, call the place you got it from and tell them it's not working as intended and they should take it back and replace it.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
If you bought it brand new, return it. i don't understand why people try to fix a brand new guitar they just bought.
I guess if you tried several of the same model and this was the only one that played well I could see it, or it was a super custom job. Not likely with most of the mass produced instruments today.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Current update, I just tried it again, it turns out I can get a very faint sound on the bridge pick up this time. I can hear it when I have the volume turned on maximum, does this change anything about it?

I'm considering going to the shop like some of you suggested it's probably best I don't touch it and screw it up further
It wouldn't be the battery or the jack. Are the pickups on separate volume controls? What's your control layout? I'd guess a problem with the switch, loose connection, or maybe the hot lead on the pickup grounding out somewhere.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
RCA1186 The pickups are on the same volume controls. My config's one knob for volume, one for tone and a 3 way toggle switch. I'll open it up tonight when I'm back from work and have a look inside and post pictures if I can.
I opened up the config, one of the wires appears to have been cut off - I have the tools to solder it back on so I'm gonna look around online for some guidance on that. I plugged it in and tried connecting the wire and there's sound again so I've got the right spot.

Thanks again for the help and support guys. I guess I was on denial about there being an internal problem I was kind of hoping to blame the batteries instead of looking further.
Quote by ryanbwags
If you bought it brand new, return it. i don't understand why people try to fix a brand new guitar they just bought.
I guess if you tried several of the same model and this was the only one that played well I could see it, or it was a super custom job. Not likely with most of the mass produced instruments today.

I can understand it when you bought the instrument online and the cost of returning it is on you. Its especially impractical when it could just be something as simple as a dirty switch.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
arvarna happened to be with emg's, the wire slipped out of the connector. I think taping the connections may be a good idea
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by 21GunSalute
arvarna happened to be with emg's, the wire slipped out of the connector. I think taping the connections may be a good idea

i had one of the clips fall off one EMG once. what do i do now? chop the shitty solderless connectors and hardwire them in or tape the hell out of them. shit pisses me off.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/