I had a tough time at lessons today. My style of writing/playing/singing is in the indie-folk genre, and my voice fits very well where it is (on the low side). My teacher is getting me to go a lot higher just to get me comfortable with using other parts of my voice. I got rather aggravated and I didn't feel content with my voice at all. I know full well that this is for my own good, but at the same time, working on the tough side of my voice makes me feel discouraged with my voice in general. My teacher teaches guitar, voice, and gives me advice on songwriting when I want it. She taught me ukulele, then guitar, then let me venture out on my own because my style picked up really quick on guitar. Now she works with me on the vocal side. I'm considering trying another vocal coach, one that is contemporary (mine is more classical). I have connections with other musicians outside of my current music teacher, so getting help/advice on my songwriting won't be an issue. I will definitely take more lessons with this teacher before jumping right into a new one, but I would like opinions/advice/comments. Has anyone had an experience similar to mine?

Thank you.
she lifts her skirt up to her knees
walks through the garden rows with her bare feet, laughing.
Any vocal teacher you find is going to want to help you expand your range and develop your breath control and resonance. If you've been working in a comfortable range and only using an octave or so worth of notes then some parts of your voice that you don't exercise and/or can't access very well will feel and sound very strange to you, but I promise you it's worth it, and if they're classically trained that's even better. You'll learn great technique and have access to notes you never thought possible, and the great part is, you will NOT lose the voice you have now, you'll always be able to access it, but you might find other ways to use it that you'll end up liking even more. Give her a chance, at least a few months, if you still aren't satisfied don't lose your time slot but see if another teacher will give you a trial lesson before signing a contract and see if they're more to your liking. I have a feeling though that they will put you through the same paces. Right now you're like a guitar player that's self taught and does pretty well for himself using only two fingers. Then you go in and get lessons and the teachers like "why are you using only two fingers when you can be using four, it'll make everything easier for you and you'll be able to do more"! And you're frustrated because now you have to use these weak little extra fingers when your other ones are very strong and seemed to suit you just fine. Give it time, and practice what she tells you!
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
DaliLama Thank you!!!!!! This is EXACTLY what I needed. Couldn't have asked for a better response. You've helped tremendously.

Thanks again!
Grace
How long would you say it could take for one to register other parts of their voice, if they are proactive and practice well every day?
Hi graceukelele29, don't mean to intrude but I would like to inform you that I've been singing for over ten years and I've yet to master all 3 registers(head, mix, chest) well yet haha. But what's comforting to know is that the voice is like a muscle, where the more you train it, the better it gets
davidlwl94 Thank you