Hey, all. I'm wanting to get back into guitar, and would love some recommendations! I'm planning on slowly raising the money to purchase a guitar within the next few months, but I definitely need some advice. I'm perfectly fine with used or new, but I would just like it to be under $400. I primarily will be playing extreme metal (Doom metal, deathcore, progressive death metal, etc.), but I would also like to have decent cleans for when I'm pulling back. I am used to passive pickups, but I'm willing to experiment. I'm definitely still a "beginner," especially since I stopped playing for about 2 years. I plan on getting a Peavey Vypyr VIP 2, as I like the convenience of it for the price. I'd prefer something a little more on the light side, but this is not a necessity. I don't like pickguards, either. If my location may help, then I reside in Las Vegas, Nevada. I plan on keeping this guitar for a while, and I also plan on upgrading its pickups to fit what I need later on. I know a lot of your sound comes from the amp, but I'd like to have a lasting guitar that doesn't end up putting me in a hole to buy a second one due to it not fitting well with a variety of styles.

Some of the guitars I have found that match my price range (used):
I know Ibanez is frequently mentioned, but model-wise, I'm unsure.
Legator Ninja 200.
Schecter C-1.

What I used to have:
Jackson Dinky Js-22 (and its 7-string counterpart)
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1.

I can probably squeeze in at most $100 more (a total of $500), but I'd prefer it be under $400. Thanks for your help! Here are some bands I like and plan on playing (one day), if this helps:

Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Alcest, Reflections, AngelMaker, Aborted, Cattle Decapitation, Napoleon, Carnifex, Cattle Decapitation, Ne Obliviscaris, Ghost Bath, Acranius
Used Ltd 400 series. And you'll save money.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Godin Redline HB. They're discontinued, but still fairly common on the market. Superstrat hardtail with a slender neck and 2 hot passive humbuckers. Made in Canada.

Godin's discontinued Velocity is another good option. It is similar, but has a tremolo and is HSS.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Nice used MIJ Jackson's can be found for $300-$400 depending where you live.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jun 24, 2016,
There's lots of Agiles in that price range. Also the Washburn Solar models offer a lot of guitar for the money.
Used John 5 Tele
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by dthmtl3
There's lots of Agiles in that price range. Also the Washburn Solar models offer a lot of guitar for the money.

I see the Agiles being recommended a lot, they look real good. Is there a catch I am not seeing? I suspect the pickups may not be 100% but the rest looks solid.
Quote by Sunfist
I see the Agiles being recommended a lot, they look real good. Is there a catch I am not seeing? I suspect the pickups may not be 100% but the rest looks solid.

No catch. Quality guitars made in Korea with quality components by the same guys who make guitars for PRS, LTD, Chapman and others. But without marketing, a huge staff, etc. so the prices are more than reasonable. Most of their guitars have EMG or Duncan pickups, the cheaper ones have their own brand which I'm sure are adequate enough but you can always change them if you're unhappy.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Jun 25, 2016,
My only gripe about the john 5 is its loud as hell.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I'd look for a used Jackson Dinky from the DK line of things. Made In Japan is well within budget. Find one with Seymour Duncans - some models have 2 Humbuckers and some have Hum/single/single. HSS is probably the most versatile for sounds.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Thank you all for your suggestions so far!

A few years ago when I actually had a guitar, I was looking around for Agiles due to a friend's recommendation. I looked at the Godins, Washburns, and the LTDs suggested, and I'm starting to feel as if I should stick to an HSS setup for now (so the Godin Velocity may be something). Since I'm a bit more familiar with Jacksons, I'll definitely look around for the MIJs suggested. It'll help for the softer side of the spectrum (as I like alternative and some shoegaze). I'm still open to suggestions, whether it be HH or HSS, though!
I'm seeing some Jackson Soloist SL3X out there in your price range.