Hi guys,
I've spotted a Fender USA Stratocaster for £250 in a local second hand shop. It has some cosmetic damage (paint chips etc) which I thought coupled with the fact that the shop don't really have much idea when it comes to guitars, may explain the low price tag. Then I got home and checked out the serial number, and if it's genuine the guitar dates to 1977, which I realise is CBS era and less desirable, but I'm thinking I may have stumbled across a tremendous deal.
One of the things that makes me think it may not be genuine, is the colour, which is a silverburst I've not commonly seen on fender guitars.

What do you guys think? Does it sound too good to be true, or is it worth a punt?

I've attached the one photo I took, which is of the headstock.

Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
If that's a legit 77 American Strat buy it, just have a look at what they are listed for on eBay, $1800 USD and up $400 for just a neck! They did make them in silver burst. https://reverb.com/item/2014584-fender-stratocaster-1979-silverburst

Can you go back and take and post more pics?

The F and the E on the Fender logo decal look kinda sketchy the F looks like the decal was broken and not lined up properly before it dried, in fact the decal looks sketchy in general size and placement look off, compare it to the headstock decal in the photo on the Reverb listing. Could be just a CBS era quality issue but I'd be wary. Post more pics I'm no Strat expert but there are some members here that may be able to shed some more light on this!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jun 24, 2016,
Quote by Ippon
Compare to the specs here: http://www.strat-central.com/70sstrats/

Edit: The position of the string trees seem off. Get more pics and see if you can check the wiring , the neck pocket and heel, etc. £250 seems like a steal.

String trees definitely look off location the more I compare the pics the more doubt sets in.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Play the guitar! If it plays well it is certainly worth $250 whether it is a legit 77 or not. Personally, late 70s-mid 80s were my least favorite Fender guitars ever. Quality control was non-existent. A good partscaster might be a nice player.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 25, 2016,
To be honest the place are alright when it comes to returns so I might pick it up just so that I can check the pots, neck pocket etc for clarification, but thanks for the help so far guys!
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Jun 25, 2016,
tuners aren't right for starters. can't see if it has bullet truss rod adjuster. 77 would have 3 bolt neck.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jun 25, 2016,
Compare it to my headstock and see what you think.Mine's a '77

Last edited by EyeballPaul at Jun 25, 2016,
As said above.String trees look off.Somebody obvs could have replaced the tuners.See if you can get more pics.
i see a couple things potentially wrong with the decal.

the color around "fender" is off, which could be due to aging and/or the lighting. so 50% on that.

but the script "made in usa" is in italic on 1977 fenders and it's not in italic on the one in question in the OP. that's not consistent with others i've seen in a couple minute search.

the neck pocket and pup cavity/wiring will help more.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.