Can anyone help me to find a good way of playing the little interlude around 1:04 in the song. I've seen a tab on here but it doesnt seem to sound quite right, maybe I'm playing it wrong.
I'm playing d/a bm6 f#m f#m7 etc. after the interlude for the "baaa baaa da bababaaa" part.
Last edited by cactus-dude at Jun 25, 2016,
That little instrumental break at 1:04 is a set of moving harmonisations, different chord in every note - and not really playable on one guitar. But essentially (in outline) it's the following two bars twice:
|A/E - F#m7 A/E | G - (F/C Em/D Dm/F C/G Bdim/A)|
The chords in brackets are a series of descending triads with a rising bass line - all 8th notes.

You could approximate it like this (the bass needs to switch octaves to get the notes in - to ignore the bass part, just go for the top 3 notes all the way):
-----9-----------9--|-7------5--3--1-------|-----9-- .... etc
-----10-----10---10-|-8------6--5--3--5--3-|2----10-
-6---9------9----9--|-7------5--4--2--5--4-|2----9-
-7----------11------|-5---------0-----5--3-|2------
-7---7------9----7--|--------3-----------0-|-----7--
--------------------|--------------1--3----|0------

The next section (from 1:12, with the wordless vocal) is:
|G/D - - - |Em6 - - - |Bm/F# - Bm - |E7/D - - (Bdim) |
|A/E - - - |Fdim7 - - - |A\E - - - |D#m7b5 - - - |
That leads into the three-bar chorus line:
|D - - - |A/C# - - - |Bm7 - - - |
- which leads back to the verse (which is D/A, Bm6, etc)

IOW, that vocal bridge section is the same as the verse, but in a different key (a 4th up)
Last edited by jongtr at Jun 26, 2016,
Have you seen how they avoid this section in live versions? The studio version is AMAZING. Live they avoid it and have taught that version to students
Visit my music school site for advice on gear, music theory and lessons.
www.essm.net.au
jongtr
Correction
|A/E - F#m7 A/E | G - (F/C Em/D Dm/F C/G Bm/A)|

leading to

e|-----5------5-------|-3------5--3--1--0----|
B|-----5------5----5--|-3------6--5--3--1--3-|
G|-6---6------6----6--|-4------5--4--2--0--4-| x2
D|-7---7------4----7--|-5---------0--------4-|
A|-7---7-----------7--|--------3-----------0-|
E|--------------------|--------------1--3----|

Trying to keep the melody intact as well.
That's one of the wonderfully brilliant things about Brian Wilson, he composed some the most off the wall yet beautiful melodies and chord progressions. Often the chords of a song are arranged in such a way that the vocals are supplying additional notes that are note within the chords accompanying it. The word "genius" is a very overused phrase but for Brian Wilson it is truly appropriate. There is an album that came out in late 60's called "Stacks of Tracks" that has some early Beach Boys instrumental beds without vocals it's probably the first Karaoke disc except that is not a copy, it is the real Beach Boys backing tracks. For anyone who wants to hear what the basic studio tracks really sound like, get the CD. "God Only Knows" is on there.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by NeoMvsEu
jongtr
Correction
|A/E - F#m7 A/E | G - (F/C Em/D Dm/F C/G Bm/A)|
Yes you're right! Bm/A I just re-checked. (I think my ears were fooled before by the previous F naturals.)
Quote by NeoMvsEu

leading to

e|-----5------5-------|-3------5--3--1--0----|
B|-----5------5----5--|-3------6--5--3--1--3-|
G|-6---6------6----6--|-4------5--4--2--0--4-| x2
D|-7---7------4----7--|-5---------0--------4-|
A|-7---7-----------7--|--------3-----------0-|
E|--------------------|--------------1--3----|

Trying to keep the melody intact as well.

OK, but I hear higher melody notes in the first bar (as I tabbed). Or are you giving a more playable version?
Last edited by jongtr at Jun 28, 2016,