Im looking for a high gain amp for mainly bedroom practice, i am looking for something low watt with FX loop. Any suggestions?
What kind of metal? Like Sleep, or Burzum, or Dragonforce, or...

Also, low watts does not equate to low volume. Pretty much any high gainer will have a master volume.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yeah, 80s metal, or modern metal?
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Used Mesa, any wattage. Their master volume works fine.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Not sure what specific taste of metal but these should do regardless. +1 to wattage doesn't equal low volume tone.
Used: Mesa's single rectoverb, tremoverb, express 5:50, peavey JSX
New: Maybe an Engl gigmaster 30
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by 8Len8
Yeah, 80s metal, or modern metal?

I do early metal to modern metal like Muse ect..
Also would an all valve amp be best or a solid state amp? However I don't see many FX loops in solid state amps.
Quote by Dolphin Guitar
Also would an all valve amp be best or a solid state amp? However I don't see many FX loops in solid state amps.
most people prefer all-tube, although you should really try out the amp before buying it. In these forums people tend to just reply with their favorite amp, so there's no way you can know if it will work for you in the end. I recommend going to a distributor like Sweetwater and doing a search. Sort the amps by price and features till you have a top 5 list. Then read reviews to see the reliability and listen the YouTube demo'd to get a feel for the sound.
Quote by Dolphin Guitar
I think the main thing you're looking for is an amp that will achieve gain saturation. People get hung up on what brand of metal you play, but in the end, it doesn't really matter as much as they think. If Andreas Kisser (Sepultura) can use Orange amps and get the tight distortion sound he gets, then the biggest criteria is making sure the amp has enough gain. Everything else is in your hands as far as what type of metal you're playing. Having said that, my recommendation would be a 5150 III combo or a Peavey JSX or XXX II (essentially the same amp). The only thing that keeps me from recommending a 6505 is the mediocre cleans. If the clean channel isn't important to you, then look into a 6505 as well. As far as solid state amps, I would stay clear unless you are going to get a Randall or an Ampeg VH140C, which for the money is probably not worth it. You would be better served getting one of the above recommended amps.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
^^ Sweetwater's in the USA; he's in the UK.

Don't worry too much about wattage, as everyone is saying. If you're playing most types of metal you don't normally need or even want power tube distortion, and higher wattage amps turned down often sound better turned down (especially for metal) than lower wattage amps which you can turn up slightly more.

I prefer tube but it depends on how quietly you have to play, everyone's idea of sensible home volume is different. it's not much help but it's really a matter of trying everything you can at the volume you think you'll be playing at and seeing which sounds best (and bear in mind it'll sound quieter in the shop than it will at home!). Also try an od pedal up front as a boost as that can help a lot with low volume saturation with a tube amp.

Also I'm not sure I'd call Muse that metally- I don't say that because I'm a pedant who cares about arbitrary genre distinctions, but because Muse uses quite different gear to a lot of metal bands. Muse uses a lot of fuzz pedals and other weird effects (I think), so that's worth bearing in mind as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 25, 2016,
Quote by Dolphin Guitar
I do early metal to modern metal like Muse ect..

Muse are Metal?

OT: There's tons of options, what sort of stuff in terms of tone do you want to go towards?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ Sweetwater's in the USA; he's in the UK

I mention Sweetwater just as a site to sort through common options. He doesn't have to purchase from them.
^ sure, but they might not be available in the UK or they might be a lot dearer, for example.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sometimes I get somewhat jealous of people in the UK. The TS can get a Harley Benton 2x12 for super cheap, and put the rest of his budget into a nice head.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Nolasludge
Sometimes I get somewhat jealous of people in the UK. The TS can get a Harley Benton 2x12 for super cheap, and put the rest of his budget into a nice head.

I have an open backed Harley Benton 1x12.

It's amazing for the cash.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I have an open backed Harley Benton 1x12.

It's amazing for the cash.
Harley Benton cabs are probably the most economical way to get V30s I've seen. Unfortunately, they aren't viably available to us in the States.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Dave_Mcman, you sure like debating really minuscule things. Good luck with that.
I tried an all valve marshall DSL40cc which was way too loud to get a good distorted sound from. Wont the peavey amps be way to much because there all 120watt?
The 6505 comes in a 20W mini head, or lower wattage combos as well. The XXX also comes in combos, but I think they may still be 120 watts. For those ones, you may need to demo one to be sure that you can play it low enough. While it is a myth that lower wattage amps are not as loud, or not loud at all, I do think that the volume knob is less jumpy on lower wattage amps. Even my 140 watt solid state (70 watts on each side technically) has a really touchy volume knob. It goes from not loud enough to too loud with just a slight touch of the knob. In that respect I would recommend a lower wattage amp.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by 8Len8
Dave_Mcman, you sure like debating really minuscule things. Good luck with that.

And you like coming into a thread, making inaccurate sweeping generalizations, recommending possibly the most useless advice that's been mentioned thus far, and then getting irked when someone calls you out. Good luck with that.

TS, the Marshall DSL40C as has been mentioned is a good idea. Do you mind going used?
dementiacaptain
Quote by dementiacaptain
And you like coming into a thread, making inaccurate sweeping generalizations, recommending possibly the most useless advice that's been mentioned thus far, and then getting irked when someone calls you out. Good luck with that.

TS, the Marshall DSL40C as has been mentioned is a good idea. Do you mind going used?

Would prefer going New but will go second hand for a good price. Have tried the Marshall dsl40cc which broke within a week of having it...
Quote by 8Len8
most people prefer all-tube, although you should really try out the amp before buying it. In these forums people tend to just reply with their favorite amp, so there's no way you can know if it will work for you in the end. I recommend going to a distributor like Sweetwater and doing a search. Sort the amps by price and features till you have a top 5 list. Then read reviews to see the reliability and listen the YouTube demo'd to get a feel for the sound.
To clarify the nature of these forums, there is a reason why the same handful of amps get mentioned in these threads. It's not because it is someone's favorite amp. When you post a recommendation thread, you are supposed to give your location, budget, target tone (style of music, bands, guitarists, etc.), current gear, etc because it helps people recommend amps. Most of the time, you see the same handful of amps because there are only a few at each price point worth getting. If the budget is low, and the person is looking to play rock or metal, than the recommendation is likely going to be a Peavey Valveking or a Jet City amp because they can get you those tones at a low price. If the budget is a little higher, you tend to see 5150/6505, XXX/JSX, or maybe some used Mesa amps. If someone says that money is no object, then the typical recommendations will be something by Mesa (Tremoverb, Solo, etc.) or a Marshall, or Orange because those amps will get you your tone and last you decades. My point is that when people make recommendations, it's not necessarily about their favorite amp, but more about the bang for your buck. The TS may go into a music store and decide that he likes the Rivera Knucklehead Tre or a solid state Randall. Those amps are nice, but they are outliers. Some people like them, some people don't. The recommendations are designed to give the TS a point to start from.
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Dolphin Guitar
dementiacaptain

Would prefer going New but will go second hand for a good price. Have tried the Marshall dsl40cc which broke within a week of having it...

Fair enough. Hmmm, perhaps an Orange OR15? Very cool amp. There's also the Tiny and Dark Terrors. The 6505 mini has been mentioned but I don't know if I'd go for that unless you want VERY heavy.

I've got to ponder this more...
Quote by dementiacaptain

Thanks. Yeah. I'm from the UK, and I know how much use USA-centric gear sites and online stores are to us here. They are pretty much zero use (unless you're willing to order from the USA, which has its own problems because of customs charges, the USA being a different voltage, etc. etc.), because the prices and availability differ so much. I just don't want the threadstarter to waste his time, or worse, think something amazing is an option only to find it's not when he looks into how much it costs here (if it's even available).

If you (8Len8) want to call that "really minuscule things", then I guess that's your prerogative, but if you ask me it's pretty important to make helpful suggestions and to suggest stuff which is tailored to the threadstarter's location. By the way, have you tried the Harley Benton G212 Vintage cabinets? They're great value, only $245. You should look into them, since apparently suggesting stuff which isn't easily available locally is only a "really minuscule thing".
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 26, 2016,
Yep, if TS gives lots of specific info about where he lives, budget, current gear, and maybe a link to a vid or two demonstrating his favorite guitarist and the tone he is chasing, he will generate a bunch of very knowledgeable responses with gear recommendations to get him there. If TS gives budget info and only vague descriptions like Metal or Blues, he will get a lot less relevant information from knowledgeable players because they have no idea what is available in his area, or the tone he is chasing.

From what we currently do know:
Muse
$750
UK
Prefers new

Orange Dark Terror, Tiny Terror, Laney IRT, would all be worth a look. Good luck TS.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'm in the Lincoln area. Currently using a line 6 spider IV 15 watt is why I'm looking for a big upgrade. Just want An amp which can give give a saturated distortion at a low volume because it's For home use. Quite like the sound of muse this year at glastonbury on Friday.
i will +1 the orange terror series. IIRC the dark terror has an fx loop whereas the normal tiny terror doesn't. they can sound good quiet. they can sound good loud.

the dsl40c gets mentioned a lot, deservingly so. its a great amp for the money. tighten it up with an overdrive pedal and you can get a plethora of metal tones.

laney and traynor have some good options, however i am not overly knowledgable about them, but i liked the laney iron heart i tried a while back.

i wouldn't get overly fussed about wattage, i have 100 watt amps that sound better quiet than 15w amps. from a technical point of view, 100 watts is only twice as loud as 10 watts, barring the many other variables, almost too many to make the generalization, but its just the simple math, and not the real world.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Nolasludge

mesa and peavey and most other brands are cheaper over here (US). i am not complaining. the only thing they get cheaper that i envy them for (other than the HB cabs) is the engl pricing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
mesa and peavey and most other brands are cheaper over here (US). i am not complaining. the only thing they get cheaper that i envy them for (other than the HB cabs) is the engl pricing.

My personal preference for rock and metal within the TS' price range is a (new) Harley Benton 212 with V30s and a (used) Engl Blackmore.

An Engl Screamer combo would be fine, too.

The previously mentioned Laney IRT is also a solid choice. I have an IRT Studio that I run through a 212; it even has a 1w option which makes low volume adjustments less fiddly. An IRT Studio with the HB cab (or a decent 112) makes for a nice bedroom rig.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 28, 2016,
Harley Benton 2 x 12 - is really the cab to look at in this case.

TS - Laney is super cheap on the used market in the UK - Try and use a GH50 or Ironheart, might do what you want. Alot of people also associate muse with the Fuzz Factory pedal, check one out!
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Will check out the Orange dark terror. The Harley Benton cab is being mentioned a lot wouldn't this be kinda overkill for home use? See a few with vintage 30s speakers go for under £70
Will go to guitar shop this weekend and try out a few amps suggested if they have in stock.
Thanks for all your replies btw
Quote by trashedlostfdup

is engl pricing even any cheaper here? i haven't looked for a while, but last time i did it was much of a muchness i thought. maybe even slightly cheaper in the USA.

Quote by Dolphin Guitar
Will check out the Orange dark terror. The Harley Benton cab is being mentioned a lot wouldn't this be kinda overkill for home use? See a few with vintage 30s speakers go for under £70

it depends. v30s are some of the loudest speakers you can get, and if you want to turn the amp up they'll be too loud. but that's true of most speakers. it really depends on exactly how quietly you have to play and how much leeway you have with the volume. v30s will be a little louder than quieter speakers at the same setting. not a massive difference, but noticeable. if you're very slightly too loud with the v30s, quieter (and fewer, say a 1x12) speakers might make the difference. but i'm not sure speakers are the most sensible place to be looking when it comes to volume, because they only make a slight difference, and also different speakers sound different, there's no point in getting slightly quieter speakers if you hate how they sound.

you can get most tube amps down to a sensible volume, but whether they sound good at that volume is kind of down you your own preference- some players hate tube amps turned down, other players still prefer them to the alternative.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc

when i was looking four or five years ago, there was a big difference. however exchange rates have changed a bit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Orange Amplifiers TH30H 30W

Dirt/clean channel and FX loop.

Orange amps are not really clean amps but the clean channel on that amp is pedal friendly which can't really be said for the dirt channel. However you can apply distortion boxes to the clean channel and get a different metal tone from it. The dirt on Orange is very good, tone out of the box right away, but if you want darker harder stuff then they have a dark series and of course there other higher W range of amps.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Dave_Mc

when i was looking four or five years ago, there was a big difference. however exchange rates have changed a bit.

yeah the prices change all the time unfortunately. at one point they definitely were cheaper in europe. they might be again, as i haven't checked in a good while either
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?