Hey so.
Wondering if someone could help me out...
I'm learning a song (in the key of Gmaj)
And I have a chord Bm6/C
So Obviously the bass note is C but Ug chords and other sites show a B minor 6 chord to involve the notes
B D F# (optional) and G#
now using the G# sounds like shit, but i was thinking...
Shouldn't the 6th in a Bm chord be G note?
There is no G# in Bm scale, so why is it involved in the chord?
I've tried it with the song and it sounds good (even with the F# at the top)

So can someone please help me out.
Should a G or G# be in a C/Bm6 chord???
Not as twice as bad as you would've thought it was going to be
What's rest of the chord progression? Assuming that it's borrowed from the iii of G major, and not from because you have C instead of a C# in the bass, the 6th would be a G, not a G#. By sound you could call it a C with an upper triad extension, or just Cmaj7#11(e).
Re-Edit: The human memory is a strange thing, apparently mine needed that little tick to get back up to speed. I just realized I did know that, it just didn't come back until just now, I apologize for the misinformation earlier. Regardless, Maggy is correct just down below here, not sure what threw me off earlier. May've been the key being G-maj, oh well.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jun 26, 2016,
Chord construction is really not about keys. It's about intervals. The added 6th is always a major sixth. Bm6 = Bm + major 6th. Yes, that's not in the key of B minor but that doesn't matter (also, if the song is in the key of G major, the key of B minor really has nothing to do with it). As I said, chord construction is all about intervals, not keys. C7 chord is not in the key of C either. That's because C7 means C major chord + minor 7th. C7 has C, E, G and Bb in it regardless of the key. Similarly Bm6 has B, D, F# and G# in it regardless of the key.

But yeah, the 6th in m6 chords is always a major 6th. This is why it's G#, not G. Minor 6th chords are usually ii chords in major keys and iv chords in minor keys. You can use it as the tonic (or as the iii chord or whatever) too but then the 6th is not diatonic to the key. And that's fine. Sometimes you want to add notes that are not diatonic to the key.

Also, maybe the tabber just mislabeled the chord? The tabber may actually have meant a G, not a G#. But a Bm6 always has a G# in it. I would say listen to the song and play what sounds right. I would never blindly trust tabs made by random people in the internet.

What song are you talking about?

FretboardToAsh

Bm6 = B D F# G#, not G. And I would simply call your chord shape a Cmaj7#11.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jun 26, 2016,
Thanks guys, helps alot
Yeah i should've said ^"G# is not in G major scale" as you're right; Bm scale has nothing to do with it.
The song is River of dreams by Billy Joel... in the bridge.
I actually tabbed it haha :S
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/billy_joel/river_of_dreams_ver2_crd.htm

yeah weird that itll always be a major 6th in a minor chord..
I reckon the minor 6th (g) sounds better In my opinion
So the left hand is just doing 2 bars of G, essentially, then 1 bar of C then 1 of D while the right hand does other chords.
So i made them polychords i hope people would still include the root notes of the main chord... especially if you're playing piano
Last edited by deathfromala at Jun 26, 2016,
Quote by deathfromala
Thanks guys, helps alot
Yeah i should've said ^"G# is not in G major scale" as you're right; Bm scale has nothing to do with it.
The song is River of dreams by Billy Joel... in the bridge.
I actually tabbed it haha :S
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/billy_joel/river_of_dreams_ver2_crd.htm

yeah weird that itll always be a major 6th in a minor chord..
I reckon the minor 6th (g) sounds better In my opinion

What will sound better is all about context. But a minor chord with a minor 6th is actually a maj7 chord in its first inversion. B D F# G is Gmaj7. So if you wanted to tab it, just call it Gmaj7/C if you want to make it clear that there is a pedal point.

Minor 6th chords have a major 6th in them because that's just how it is. Minor chord with an added minor 6th will most of the time sound like a maj7 chord. A common way of using a m6 chord would be for example Dm6-E7-Am (iv-V-i in the key of Am). Minor chords with an added major 6th are just more common than minor chords with an added minor 6th (which again will usually sound like a maj7 chord in its first inversion).

Quote by deathfromala
So the left hand is just doing 2 bars of G, essentially, then 1 bar of C then 1 of D while the right hand does other chords.
So i made them polychords i hope people would still include the root notes of the main chord... especially if you're playing piano

So is the left hand playing a C major chord or just a C bass note? Because for example Bm6/C would refer to Bm6 chord played over C bass note, not Bm6 played over a C major chord.

I'll listen to the song later.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Hey, True... didn't realise the Gmaj7 inversion... I guess that makes sense now as to why they put major 6's in minor 6 chords.
It's just a C bass note. .. though ill have look at the section again with this new knowledge perspective. Thanks again, guys
I listened to the song and I wouldn't tab it that accurately. The piano plays fills all the time. I think a chord tab should be as simple as possible so I would just write the basic chord structure and not every single chord voicing the piano plays. Just write "piano solo over chorus progression" or something.

I would use sheet music if I wanted to transcribe the song more accurately.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yes, perhaps you're right. It does look pretty sloppy on the tab if i was to get too pedantic about each voicing.
Thanks again for all of your help and clearing up the Minor 6 problem with me
kudos
Quote by deathfromala
Hey, True... didn't realise the Gmaj7 inversion... I guess that makes sense now as to why they put major 6's in minor 6 chords.
It's just a C bass note. .. though ill have look at the section again with this new knowledge perspective. Thanks again, guys
"minor minor/flat sixth" chords aren't a thing. They're either
- suspensions (6-5)
- added tones (addb13)
- maj7 in first inversion.

About the song: I suggest reading about functional harmony. This is a simplification.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something