I hope this is the correct place to start this conversation. Many others were closed or very old. My dilemma is that I have little pain now but my finger tips are hard as plastic. They are always indented from the strings so I get muted sounds no matter what I do. My tips have never peeled either. I buffed them with a fingernail file and it helped for a day. I've been playing hours every day for a few months and it just keeps sounding worse. The reason I am posting this is because I have a chronic illness and want to know, is this a common occurrence or due to my illness. Thanks
I don't know what illness you have, and I'm not a doctor so I won't even comment on that.

You've only been playing a few months? Your calluses will develop constantly over your lifetime of playing. I've been playing about 15 years, and I still get an indentation on my middle finger from time to time. It eventually peels and smooths out.

Using a nail buffer is great and really speeds up the process. If you bite your nails, stop right now. The saliva eats away at your skin and will cause problems for you. Also consider using hand lotion before you go to bed. I use Corn Huskers. It's cheap, heavy duty, and isn't greasy or scented.

I hope this helps. It can be really frustrating when you have a dent in your fingertip. It literally gets stuck on the string and shows you down.
The first couple weeks was like hell, but then my finger tips started to roughen up and the pain went away. But I haven't had anything peel off, or any buffing, if so wouldn't the process start all over again? I actually started tapping my fingers on hard surfaces to toughen them up, now I have a habit of using every surface I come in contact with has a virtual fret board.
Flying in a blue dream
My fingertips are pretty awful looking, but there is no pain now. They are very coarse feeling and sometimes I chew the "rough spots" off my middle and index fingers.