Page 1 of 2
Well amid all that Brexit drama, the federal elections kind of snuck up on me, being less than a week away (Saturday 2nd July)

This election's a double dissolution election, which means all 76 senate seats are up for grabs, as opposed to a normal election, where only half the senate seats are dissolved. This also means the proportion of the vote needed to gain a seat is smaller.
Candidates in states require only 7.7% of the votes to gain a seat, which could make it easier for minor parties and independents to get representation. If there's ever a time your vote counted it's now.

There's also been changes to the senate voting system
Voting rules for the Senate have changed – this federal election you’ll have new ways to decide your preferences on your white Senate ballot paper.

You need to either:

number at least 6 boxes above the line for the parties or groups of your choice, or
number at least 12 boxes below the line for individual candidates of your choice.

http://www.aec.gov.au/Voting/How_to_Vote/Voting_Senate.htm

For those interested, the changes involved removing the Group Voting Ticket, which originally allowed parties to decide where voter preferences ended up, when a voters above the line selection was eliminated. These group voting tickets allowed minor parties to 'game the system' and apparently directly allowed candidates Ricky Muir, and Bob Day to be elected.
Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_Party_Alliance
http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2013/guide/gtv/
The new system is more democratic, but the changes were introduced by the liberal party with support of the greens & Xenophon, in a presumably direct response to niche minor parties getting elected in the 2013 election.

Check out Vote Compass to see how your views align with the running parties
https://votecompass.abc.net.au

Go to the Australian Electoral Commission's site for more information about enrolment, how to vote, how voting works, what electorate you're in, dates, etc.
http://www.aec.gov.au

Check out ABC's rundown of the issues, history and predicted outcomes
http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/guide/preview-national/

Comprehensive list of candidates by electorate in House of Representatives, and candidates by state for the Senate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidates_of_the_Australian_federal_election,_2016
(apparently wikipedia is the best for this )

Aussie's of the pit, who are you voting for, what issues do you care about most, which party do u think will win?. Internationals, make jokes about "didn't u guys have a coup recently?", and "I thought australia was just full of venomous snakes and spiders", and "who best represents the interests of the snakes"
Our reptilian overlords
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
I cba learning how to vote this year
Just gonna show up, draw a dick on the ballot paper and put it in the box
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Jun 27, 2016,
Hang on, I've got a link for that 2
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Pastafarian96

Bad Pasta.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Vote compass reckons I'm Labor, sounds fair enough to me. The Greens' social justice stuff is pretty off putting otherwise I'd consider voting for them. I prefer Malcolm Turnbull to Bill Shorten. Overall, I'm a typical young person and don't have a clue nor am I that fussed who gets in. :^)
West Ham United
Quote by Rebel Scum
One day Bob Katter will be the PM in Australia...

and it will be beautiful

His face makes it seem like there's a constant bad smell that he just can't get away from

Quote by King Donkey
Vote compass reckons I'm Labor, sounds fair enough to me. The Greens' social justice stuff is pretty off putting otherwise I'd consider voting for them. I prefer Malcolm Turnbull to Bill Shorten. Overall, I'm a typical young person and don't have a clue nor am I that fussed who gets in. :^)

Yah I've never voted before but I find the whole process fascinating for some reason
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
I wish the brits would flood this thread they way they do with any thread about American politics.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
I wish the brits would flood this thread they way they do with any thread about American politics.

Ultimately it doesn't matter because whoever the new PM is will just be ousted in two years anyway.

Quote by JustRooster

THAT MAN IN THE PICTURE HAS A STETSON, HE'D KNOW A THING OR TWO ABOUT BEING A POLITICALLY INEPT CONSERVATIVE, amidoinitrite?
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by Pastafarian96
i dont even know how to register over here.

i do something online every 4 years then forget that i was supposed to mail something in.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Oh yeah, you can check to see if you're enrolled to vote here
http://aec.gov.au/check

If you're not already, then it's too late to enrol for this federal election cause the cut-off was the 23rd of May. Not sure why they cut-off like that, but you can still enrol for future elections.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
i forgot locations were disabled again. im in the us if that was meant for me.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Oh yeah, meant it as a general post for australians, but your post reminded me
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Trying to figure out what my picture for the ballot paper will be this time around.....hmmmm
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
A detailed drawing of that 'tradie' that keeps popping up on my Facebook?

Schrödinger's Tradie, both working and hardly working, until observed.

btw I'm curious do u guys actually plan on fking up your ballot papers? Are you really only there for the sausage sizzle?
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
m8 the sausage sizzle is an Australian Institution.

Used to love my dad's weekly trip to Bunnings.

Quote by RAB11
m8 the sausage sizzle is an Australian Institution.

Used to love my dad's weekly trip to Bunnings.

i was never quite sure if they were real meat but we ate them anyway

EDIT: picture

Quote by Pastafarian96
Wait there are sausages when we vote?

There is an actual incentive other than not being fined now

Of course, onions too, if they don't run out
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Last edited by Gatecrasher53 at Jun 28, 2016,
yeah, and no one seems to give a shit. Just read the comments on that article. Both major parties are responsible for it and the public's xenophobia empowers them to continue. They introduced whistleblower laws allowing them to jail doctors and contractors if they speak to the public about what happens on the centres. The most ironic part is that apart from aboriginals, the entire country is or is descended from migrants and refugees.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Here's a guardian article about it, where they interview Paul Stevenson, a trauma psychologist, about his experiences there.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jun/20/the-worst-ive-seen-trauma-expert-lifts-lid-on-atrocity-of-australias-detention-regime

Over a career spanning decades Stevenson has worked with the survivors of the Port Arthur massacre, the Thredbo landslide, the Boxing Day Indian Ocean tsunami, the Bali bombings of 2002 and 2005. He has counselled diplomats after embassies were bombed, and families who have lost loved ones to bushfires and floods. Stevenson says that the great privilege – “the joy, even” – of working in the field of trauma is witnessing people fight back from cruel circumstance, working with people “who are incredibly brave, incredibly resilient, incredibly positively focused about what they’re doing”.

But there’s none of that in offshore detention. You don’t see the positive glimpses, you don’t see the strength of resilience, you don’t see the quirky little things that people do when the chips are down, you don’t see the laughter and you don’t see the bravery, and you don’t see any of those things that give hope for improvement in the lives of these people.

Every day is demoralising. Every single day and every night. And you can work an eight-hour shift, or a 16-hour-shift, or a 20-hour-shift, you can get up in the middle of the night to answer the calls to go down to the camp, and you know it’s not getting any better. And it’s that demoralisation that is the paramount feature of offshore detention. It’s indeterminate, it’s under terrible, terrible conditions, and there is nothing you can say about it that says there’s some positive humanity in this. And that’s why it’s such an atrocity.

During Stevenson’s time on Australia’s offshore islands:

Six boys, held on Nauru without parents, tried to kill themselves en masse, using the same razor blade.

One woman attempted to kill herself seven times in five weeks, threatened to kill her own daughter, and had to be sedated to stop her repeatedly bashing her head into the ground.

A woman, held on Nauru with her son, but facing permanent separation from her husband in Australia, carved his name into her chest with a razor because it “releases the feelings in my heart and I feel better”.

An asylum seeker carved open his own stomach in protest at not being allowed to see or speak with his cousin, who was standing on a roof, threatening to jump.

A three-year-old boy was allegedly molested by a guard but his mother was too scared of reprisals to report it until months later, when she was medevacked to Australia for a medical emergency.

A refugee found naked and distressed – and who told authorities she had been sexually assaulted – was taken to the police station instead of the hospital. It was more than five hours after she went missing that she finally saw a doctor.

Oh yeah, and this guy who spoke to the Guardian lost his job afterwards.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jun/21/offshore-detention-whistleblower-loses-job-after-condemning-atrocity-of-camps
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Last edited by Gatecrasher53 at Jun 29, 2016,
Quote by Pastafarian96
Wait there are sausages when we vote?

There is an actual incentive other than not being fined now

You're welcome
http://www.electionsausagesizzle.com.au/

Quote by Gatecrasher53
Schrödinger's Tradie, both working and hardly working, until observed.

btw I'm curious do u guys actually plan on fking up your ballot papers? Are you really only there for the sausage sizzle?

Yep, same way I've always voted. I need some inspiration for my ballot paper doodle this time though....
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Jun 29, 2016,
lol had to show my friend where to vote and i just waited there amongst the rabble forced to line up to vote as if we were in some basketcase central african republic or one of the old eastern europe 'democratic' comedies
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Derryn Hinch and Pauline Hanson in the senate.....

Shoot me now pls
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Derryn Hinch and Pauline Hanson in the senate.....

Shoot me now pls

Eww queensland why

Oh yeah Pyne kept his seat

Apparently it's too close to call on whether the libs will have a majority, at least I got my sausage though
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Just row across and meetup with NZ. NZ's the most under appreciated country in the world, and Tassies the most under appreciated state so it should work well.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Quote by Gatecrasher53
Eww queensland why

Oh yeah Pyne kept his seat

Apparently it's too close to call on whether the libs will have a majority, at least I got my sausage though

I didn't, and I was outraged

My voting place was even registered on the democracy sausage site, and they had nothing. Lying fuckers.

I needed protein to get the energy to concentrate on that fucking billboard they called the Senate ballot paper.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by Pastafarian96
Hung parliament

I don't wanna fucking vote again

COME ON

We'll only have to vote again if either the Coalition or the ALP can't form alliances with the independents or the minority parties.

We had a hung Parliament in the 2010 election, but we didn't have to vote because the Libs managed to form some sort of alliance with a bunch of randos to get the 76 seats they needed.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
It's a bit early to declare anything, winners, losers or hung. There are still 13 seats to be decided and Labour are only two seats ahead. It could go either way.
And my polling site had no sausage sizzle at all so I call shenanigans.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's a bit early to declare anything, winners, losers or hung. There are still 13 seats to be decided and Labour are only two seats ahead. It could go either way.
And my polling site had no sausage sizzle at all so I call shenanigans.

Was it registered as having a sausage sizzle?

And yeah, apparently earliest result will be Tuesday
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
There was a register?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)