Hello guys,

so last week i bought a peavey 6505MH 20 watt amp head, i was going to buy it with a cab but due to some low income no speaker cab yet..

so far i've been playing it with headphones and it kicks ass, but i've noticed something.
sometimes when i play i accidently unplugg the headphones, and when this happens i can hear the sound i usualy hear from my headphones coming from the amp... with no speaker or what so ever.
is this normal? i only noticed this 2 days ago, also when its turned on and i slightly tilt the amp i hear a screaming noise but when i put it down normally its back to normal.

also this is my first tube amp so i'm a noob to this.
martin.ouwehand
You really should NOT be playing a head without a cab plugged in. It's a good way to fry the transformer of the amp. At least have a dummy load plugged in or wait to get a cabinet. The amp head has no speakers, so I have no idea what you're hearing after you unplug your headphones.

As for the screaming noise, it could be a faulty pre-amp tube.
My crap:

Guitars
Jackson RR3T Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (MIJ)
Jackson JS1-X Rhoads
Jackson PDXT with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
Dean Vendetta XM

Amps
Peavey 6505 MH
Carvin 1X12 Cab

Pedals
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Gate
Boss DD-7 Delay
there's no dummy load in that amp.
you have been absolutely frying the output transformer.
that sound you hear with no headphones plugged in is the sound of your transformer screaming.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
People, 6505MH (MICRO HEAD) does have a dummy load. There is a speaker defeat button right in the back. Hopefully TS has it engaged.

https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/118738_30842.pdf

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jun 28, 2016,
i just found out that maybe one of the pre amp tubes is bad.
if i touch it with a pencil very lightly i can hear a loud tick, this does not happen on the other tubes, does that mean the tube is bad / broken?

also i understood that the 6505 MH can be played without a cab. (it also said on the box: "record without a cab!!!")
but Maazeus, what do you mean with: "hopefully TS has it engaged"?

Edit:
Oh yeah, so far i've been playing with the speaker button on 'defeat'.
not becouse i knew i should, but becouse it really sounded like shit on my headphones without it.
just way way to loud and crushing noise..
anyway i think i'll just let the amp rest for a while until i get my cabinet, i'm scared now that i'll break it :c

oh yeah also that strange screaming noise when i tilt the amp, that was just my headphones sort of disconnecting ._.
derp
Last edited by martin.ouwehand at Jun 28, 2016,
Well if the MH follows suit with its larger siblings, get some JJ preamp tubes (12ax7) (I like eurotubes.com) and call it a day.

Don't be afraid to use features of your amp. If you have questions call Peavey or the place you purchased it from. Peavey has a forum section on their site under support as well if you want to go that route.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
martin.ouwehand

I just meant that hopefully that hopefully you had the dummy load engaged. Tube amps should NEVER be turned on without cab or a dummy load attached. Doing so can deteriorate and blow up transformers fast.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
It won't make any sound when you do plug in a cab. If it works everything is fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification