Hi,
I'm in search to find a pedal effect. I always liked the sound of Boss DS-2. Warm and playful. Perfectly midranged (while TURBO off), good sounding low gain, yet powerfull when set on high. Gain also stops in just the perfect moment. Doesn't get muddy when you roll off the tone knob (what most of us do, for obvious reasons), but most of all it has one of the best dynamics of all distortion pedals (I tested some dist. effects, and all of them have such a strong compression, that EVERYTHING is just on one loudness level, fuckin' hell, man. I want to decide, whenever I want to play loud, not a fuckin machine).

Of course it has it's problems. Fizzy highs that go too far, low output level, and pretty weak bass.
I have a Keeley modded DS-1, but it's just a polished shit, and you can tell. It just doesn't have that TONE.

My question is: Are there ANY companies outside BOSS, that can give me that iconic DS-2 sound, but with a bit better quality?

P.S.: I have to mention, that I'm that dying species of guitarists, who doesn't play black/death/grind/torture/what-e-v-e-r metal, or "when I was a boy, even though I'm like 16" white boy blues thing. Although doom and stoner is pretty fuckin' amazeballs.
Last edited by Mateusz Kaczmar at Jun 28, 2016,
Try finding the Visual Sound Son of Hyde. It was created by just using the distortion circuit from the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde OD/Dist V2- itself worthy of consideration. Either should be readily available in the used market for a decent price, Visual Sound has recently changed its name to TrueTone, and has re released the Jekyll & Hyde OD/Dist V3, but AFAIK, the Son of Hyde is not currently in production.

Here's a demo of the Son of Hyde:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I picked up a Radial ToneBone Classic Distortion over the weekend, I'll bet that'll work well for you. I'm impressed with it, its very versatile, clean boost to brootz, all sweetspot. The versatility reminds me of the Sansamp GT2 but the GT2 has to be dialed in properly whereas the ToneBone is plug and play, it always sounds good.

I been going through distortion pedals faster than underwear recently, all the while missing my old MI Audio Crunch Box but figuring I'll try all the others before going back to the Crunch Box. The ToneBone is the first that I think I may prefer over the Crunch Box. The ToneBone Classic has the versatility of the GT2 (I'm sure either could mimic the DS2) but has the all around sweetness of the CB.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Holy cow! When did we get "likes"?! I just noticed that.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Yes, I had a Visual Sound Son of Hyde in my hands ones, and it was awful XD. The mids are ALL OVER THE PLACE, and they are really pitchy too, as far as I'm concerned SoH is more of a tubescreamer. The same with VOX pedals, and ToneBone. Well... I play a lot of weird "jazzy" chords, but on hell of a gain (my settings on DS-2 was almost full gain, and tone on 10 o'cock), and almost all of the overdrive, distortion pedals insteed of melting the notes together, they are crushing them and turn them into shit. On most OD effects you can play only powerchords, blues and lead single notes.
Some may say "just mod your DS-2". Well, I did, and it made the effect sound GOOD, but it also lost that uniqe ability to melt notes into one, plesent to listen, rumbling wall.
I have KRANK Distortus Maximus, and it does sound good, but it's too bright, and when you roll of the highs it turns into and ugly sounding OD, like someones putting blanket on my amp, plus it's compressing like a devil.
Interesting- I much prefer my VS J&H to my Krank Distortus Maximus.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I never heard about that pedal. Sure looks delicious : P. But, that's the problem. Everyone like something different, that's why asking for "the perfect pedal for (insert genre)" doesn't make sense. And that's why I just want to ask if anyone every came across a dist. pedal similar sounding, and behaving to DS-2 (not DS-1, or Keeley mod), you don't have to like it. I'm just searching for a sound.
Son of Hyde is a solid Dirt Box - I'd say look at an old ProCo Rat, or the Tube Driver (not quite a Dist pedal, but it should sound great)

as far as OD's go -- assuming that's even an option -- here's some of my favorites as options. The earthquaker palisades if you just want to hear them all, the Archer if you can only have one, the Kalamazoo Love Pedal if you have some money and dont mind waiting, and the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver if you're on a budget.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Mateusz Kaczmar
Yes, I had a Visual Sound Son of Hyde in my hands ones, and it was awful XD. The mids are ALL OVER THE PLACE, and they are really pitchy too, as far as I'm concerned SoH is more of a tubescreamer.

are you sure it was the son of hyde? the route 808 (the jekyl side of the j&h) is a tubescreamer, far as i'm aware (I haven't tried it but I have the route 808) the SOH is a marshall shredmaster.

it's ages since i've tried the ds2 but the digitech/hardwire has a bit of that ds1 clarity thing going on, while arguably being a better pedal too (and not too expensive either, it's a similar price).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
MXR Series Badass Distortion - Custom, 78, etc. might do the trick nicely.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's ages since i've tried the ds2 but the digitech/hardwire has a bit of that ds1 clarity thing going on, while arguably being a better pedal too (and not too expensive either, it's a similar price).

I have a Hot Head by Digitech and it is a nice pedal, but it's too quite, the distortion sounds a bit too plastic (yes, I know that DS-2 also sounds plastic, but this one is a bit too much), and the "low" knob, which I really like as an idea, sounds like a sub-bass rather than a low balance. Are they better? Hm... not really. Similar, but different flavor.

MXR Super Badass sounds promising. Archer is a thing I really want to try. I heard so much about that famous transparent even gain boost.

Now when I thing about it I may have a second look at the Boss Mega Distortion MD-2. On paper it has everything I need. Boss type distortion, low-cut/hi-cut knobs, and an extra boost if I need that extra kick. But.......... yeah. Do anyone have a story with that one?
ah ok. yeah the hot head is a glorified ds1 as far as i'm aware. the hardwire one isn't as plasticky-sounding I don't think, it has more headroom etc. from the higher voltage (I assume). But if you don't like the ds1, I dunno if it's a good idea or not.

I haven't tried it but some of those super badass distortions are ds1-based as well I think. the red one, IIRC.

the md2 sounds a bit more modern than a ds1, but again sounds sort of in the same ballpark if you keep the gain boost at 0 and just use the distortion knob (and keep the bass boost lowish).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?