Hey guys, this is my first time using this UG Community thing so I'm just seeing how it works! I'm looking at a ktone double neck guitar on eBay - are they any good? Or are they just wastes of a few hundred bucks?
Hoping for some responses soon,
Spencer
I have a couple of double neck guitars. What I can tell you is that they're fun to haul out occasionally to impress people, but they're too heavy to play often and they most often end up in their cases stuck under the bed. I don't have any plans to sell either of them, but they're far less practical than you'd think. For songs where you'd switch back and forth between necks (say, on a 6 and 12), I've just gotten lazy and I work with a Variax JTV89F. It models a 12-string closely enough that you can get away with the whole "Hotel California" thing on stage by just switching between models, and that includes the "capoed" sound as well. It's lots lighter, lots more versatile. These weren't available in the '70's when Felder was first doing the song, or he probably would have been all over it. But the double necks DO look impressive onstage.

There's also this: a double neck that isn't fairly good quality just adds woe onto impracticality. My double necks are from Gibson and Carvin, and the Gibbie's half a century old. The thought of a cheap doubleneck makes me wince. But I *suppose* it could be okay.
Quote by dspellman
There's also this: a double neck that isn't fairly good quality just adds woe onto impracticality. My double necks are from Gibson and Carvin, and the Gibbie's half a century old. The thought of a cheap doubleneck makes me wince. But I *suppose* it could be okay.

I am going to agree here at the price point of a KTone I would not be at all confident in the quality, you get what you pay for, if you are dead set on an affordable two necker go to Rondo and check the Agile Valkyrie it has decent specs, you'll have to save up a bit more money but I'd feel more confident with Agile.

http://www.rondomusic.com/valkyriedoublehcwc.html
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jun 29, 2016,