Hi guys, created an account just to ask this question.

I recently upgraded the floating bridge on one of my guitars from a licened floyd rose to a schaller lockmeister.
I strung the guitar up yesterday to give the strings a day to break in before tuning them. Today, I tuned the guitar up and I thought I would see how stable the schaller is, so I gave the trem bar a light tap.

Upon tapping it, the whole guitar went out of tune, and I can feel the whole bridge click if I pushed the bar down to a certain angle. So I took the bridge out to inspect it and found that the paint on the knife edge and the posts are already worn. Running my nails along the knife edge, I can feel that its not smooth.

Is this normal, and if so, are there any ways to help the tremolo stability? Thanks in advance.

Pictures:

http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/haruspectre/media/IMG_20160629_035924_HDR1_zpsvswlgekl.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/haruspectre/media/IMG_20160629_035943_HDR1_zpsi8dwhbw8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Was the bridge brand new? Sound like you either got a counterfeit or a dud, send it back and get a replacement/refund.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Where did you get the Schaller? I'm just asking because there are a lot of fake guitar parts out there and it may be junk.

If you got it from a reliable source, you are PROBABLY ok. They are German made, so shouldn't be peeling like that in my opinion. The real deals have seriously hardened steel parts, so the posts in no way should be worn already. Should say MADE IN GERMANY somewhere on it.

Even though it's from a reliable source, it can still be an Asian knock-off. If it came in a genuine Schaller box/package that's a good sign. If it came in an OEM package then it's probably a fake. When I say fake, it may be licensed, but not the real thing - just like 90% of the Floyd's out there.

I'm not an expert here, so assume I'm an idiot. I just know there are a lot of crap bridges out there. They have a lifetime warranty on them so you can send it in...they'd be able to tell you if it's real or not.
Thanks for the replies, I got it off Thomann, I have sent them a message about it and am waiting for a reply.

Although the box and the bridge do look genuine, i.e. the Schaller logo was on the bridge, the box looks real etc.
I opened a box from a "reputable source" and found a fake tucked in.
Apparently it had been a return from someone who pulled out the good one and put the fake in its place and then returned it.

The good news is that I opened the box.
I have Schaller bubblepacks that have been sitting on a shelf for years waiting for the guitar for which they were intended to fail.
^ wow yeah that's a good point. I remember reading on another forum about someone (I guess he worked in a shop, or knew someone who worked in a shop) who returned a guitar he had bought. The shop workers thought something wasn't right, and when they inspected the guitar the (expensive) stock pickups had been removed and cheapos substituted- the purchaser obviously thought it was an ingenious way to get a free set of nice pickups...

so yeah even from a reputable supplier (especially a big one like thomann which probably gets a lot of returns and probably can't check every one) if something like that happens it might not be the shop's fault (though they should check the return better IMO) and you could still get a fake.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm okay, so has anyone else had experience with returning products to thomann? I tried to contact their customer services but they havent gotten back to me yet
Yeah I've returned a few things. They normally answer emails pretty well (at least any time I contacted them about a return). If they don't answer you soon maybe send another email?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?