Hey, UG!

So I finally finished my 2nd album

If you like emotional sounding riffs combined with weird chord voicings and some leads, please give this a listen!

I think everything has improved a lot since the demos I last posted here, I've learned a lot from making these songs; more complicated mixing, got better at programming my own drums from 0, even weirder chord voicings, and I even ended up inventing my own open tuning by playing with the tuners one day (the tuning is used on the 3rd song, Sentience).

There's still a lot for me to improve for my next release but I'm pretty happy with the results.

Here's the first song, it's different from the rest, but I think it's cool:

Now the full playlists:

Full album playlist on YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLd4EXA_hrZciTCKYduj3hcgbicrASdnqr

Full album playlist on SC: https://soundcloud.com/vstratto-music/sets/vstratto-buried-strenght-wav-download-soon

Aaaand the download link, all songs are in WAVE format:

https://mega.nz/#!1AwnhJYb!yQX7C1RxV0xcZXYVPHhlFLEGnswiiP6FTLr5x19iQWY

Going to do lots of C4C, and of course if you want me to check out your track, post the link and I'll do so

Also, later on, I want to do a full playthrough of both of my albums, I'll post them in this thread

Cheers!
Dude! I've been following your music here since a long time...great stuff!! Everything has definitely been improved since your last demos. Playing sounds tighter, production is much better!! Overall..i think its awesome dude!! Keep me posted with your updates

Cheers!
Shsnk
wow the drums are crazy complex. I like it. It's mixed nicely. Good job bro. I am gonna follow you on Soundcloud
I really like your rhythm tone. It has a lot of those mids that I like and the gain is perfect too. The drum mix is really nice too. At times, the overheads seem a bit loud, but I wouldn't call it a problem. As a side note, when programming drums it's important to think about how a real drummer plays. During some of the quick double bass and fills, it sounds a little "robot-like" because of the lack of variation in velocity between the hits. The bass blends very well with the guitars and kick. Honestly, I think this song is mixed and recorded really well, it's sounds professional. I'll be listening to the rest when I get home. Great job!
That was great! I really liked all of the changes in time. Kept me on my toes! The mix sounds great, too. Overall, very well done!
Hey, thanks for the review.
Flying Time - starts of nice and laid back, even when the manic drums kicked in. I thought the first 36sec could even be a new genre.
Then of course the br00tz rains down. Rhythm guitars are tight and all the lead tones sound pleasant and rich.
Overall, an interesting piece that takes you on a journey.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
thanks for checking out my jam track.

I have to say this sounds pretty cool. At first when the drums came in they didn't sound like they fit with everything but then when the distorted guitar came in they fit perfectly. Towards the end there is some really technical sounding riffs, I love that! I think the main thing that could be improved is the mix. And mixing is very difficult, not saying this is a bad mix but if anything can be improved the mix is what I would focus on. Try listening to your mix next to some professionally recorded tracks, listen to subtle differences and try to get closer to the professional sound. I usually put an eq on my master fader and make small 1 to 2db adjustments to try and get my mixes to sound slightly brighter (i tend to mix things a little dark). All this mix needs are a few minor tweaks its 95% of the way there.

Keep it up man i love what i hear. Reminds me of a bands I saw in Los Angeles called mammoth you should check them out.
I wish I could improve my mixing/mastering, soon I'll be taking lessons to do it professionally, but all of this was mixed on 2 multimedia speakers, in an untreated room, no proper rest = ears getting tired fast, etc. It sucks comprared to what some people can do, but I think I did my best with the time and equipment I had, at least it's lighter on the ear than all of my previous tracks

I want to start over with the guitar tone, drum sound, etc. for my next set of tracks.

Also, thanks for the crit, everyone!
Quote by xevious1
Great for multimedia speakers. Try to get some studio monitors, may i recommend the jbl lsr 305

They look affordable, and the review I read says they're good quality, I will definetly check them out when I save up some money, as I have no idea what to buy when it comes to studio monitors for home.

Thanks man!
Thanks for the critique! I really like your track, and I think your production sounds pretty good all around.
Great guitar parts and the changes makes the listen constantly engaging. Great work!
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Thanks wyldelife and xevious1

I'm looking forward to start making some money and upgrading my setup, also for more than one year I've been practicing some complex legato stuff, crazy rhythm playing, different picking stuff, but I never really show it in my songs because I can't seem to make it fit properly, so this album doesn't really feel as technical as I'd like it to be. I'll have to work on making that work and improving my mixing.

Making an album on my own gets kind of tedious in the end and I end up having to stop practicing so I can put more time into mixing and just end up really really tired, so for my next solo works I'll probably release a couple of songs that have a common theme but are different. Maybe that way I can get things done faster!
VStratto Music i'm working on my third album now and it can be really hard at times to plow forward, my problem is I have a specific vision for the album but I just cant seem to write in that style. Its a simple straight forward concept as well its just hard to get the ball rolling at times.
I listened to the whole album the other day while lying in bed, and I must say it's well produced and it's right up my alley. I like the punchiness of the drums as they kick in on the first track, even if they felt a little busy, but it makes sense once the distorted guitars kick in, I suppose. I wish I could produce a similar sound to you.

As I remember it, and I'm listening to the whole album now from scratch, there's room on the tracks for vocals if you wanted that.

Also, I like that it's actually proggy and not djenty. So many people make djenty prog these days. Nothing wrong with that of course, people can do as they want, but this felt more towards classical prog metal, which I by far prefer.

Once again, listening to the second track now, I think some vocals could fit, as there's space for it.

Also, you've done a good job of keeping a similar theme sound wise throughout the album, as far as I recall. It feels like it's tied together but not boring and predictable, which can be hard to achieve, but you've done a great job on that

What did you use for guitars, drums etc?

Oh, and do you mind having a look at my newest track, also prog metal:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1705096
Last edited by Caelumamittendu at Jul 8, 2016,
Quote by Caelumamittendu
I listened to the whole album the other day while lying in bed, and I must say it's well produced and it's right up my alley. I like the punchiness of the drums as they kick in on the first track, even if they felt a little busy, but it makes sense once the distorted guitars kick in, I suppose. I wish I could produce a similar sound to you.

As I remember it, and I'm listening to the whole album now from scratch, there's room on the tracks for vocals if you wanted that.

Also, I like that it's actually proggy and not djenty. So many people make djenty prog these days. Nothing wrong with that of course, people can do as they want, but this felt more towards classical prog metal, which I by far prefer.

Once again, listening to the second track now, I think some vocals could fit, as there's space for it.

Also, you've done a good job of keeping a similar theme sound wise throughout the album, as far as I recall. It feels like it's tied together but not boring and predictable, which can be hard to achieve, but you've done a great job on that

What did you use for guitars, drums etc?

Oh, and do you mind having a look at my newest track, also prog metal:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1705096

Hey man, thanks so much for listening the whole album and the awesome comment

I would like vocals for my music in time, but after hearing some other bands I've learnt that vocals can make or break a song, so I'll try to find a vocalist or start practicing vocals myself, which was the intention for the 1st album I made.

As for the instruments on this album:

Guitars: PRS SE Tremonti Custom and Ibanez ART300, both modded and set up by me.

Amps and Impulses;

Heavy Rythm: TSE X50 v1 Red Channel (much better amp sims available to be honest, it's just that this one fit the mix character better than the rest).
Soft Rythm: TSE X50 v1 Green Channel, Mercuriall Amps JCM800
Cleans: Mercuriall Amps JCM800, LePou Xtac
Background Melodies: LePou Legion, LePou Xtac
Leads: Nick Crow 8505, LePou Legion

Impulses: Rosen Digital Mesa Rectifier (NOT OVERSIZED), Rosen Digital Atlantic Custom

Bass: Harley Benton JB-75MN SB

Amps: Revalver 4 Hangar Amp on whole album except for the last song Taken, which uses Amplitube 4

Drums:

EZDrummer 2 with Metal Machine EZX, Distorted setting with tweaked kicks and snare and other different stuff on the drum bus

Don't know if I'm forgetting something more, I'll edit later if I do.

Lots and looots of editing on every guitar, bass track, I hoped I could go with my own presets for the whole album, but it didn't work well and I had to edit lots of stuff differently from 0, in the end it was really cool as I learnt lots of new stuff by going through this. It won't sound really good until you put a mastering chain on it, which is what brings everything to life. Also the way you play affects everything a lot.

Thanks again for listening to my music! I'll go check out your track now
Last edited by VStratto Music at Jul 8, 2016,
Actually sounds very professional. The only thing I notice is that it's very easy to tell that the drums are programmed. Try varying the velocities more, especially on the faster parts.
Dude, fantastic clean sound. I don't love the drums, I think the snare could use some fatness and maybe some humanizing, You're getting that whole machine gun snare thing happening. As far as songwriting goes, it's some of the best I've heard on this forum, it's like it Blink182 had a child with Periphery, it's got a great nostalgic feel, but it's still heavy and big sounding.

Some other small things on the mix.

I think the guitars are a bit too mid heavy (crazy right?)
I think the bass needs to have some more low end (like 100hz maybe), it just needs some rumble I feel like.

Other than that it's a super clean mix and some fantastic songwriting

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1705692
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Flying Time is a pleasant, melodic track. I felt the bass drum tone was a bit too aggressive and compressed; it felt a little incongruous with the music style. That being said, there are some gorgeous guitar riffs here, and the interaction between guitars and drums is superb. This track reminded me a bit of the band CHON. You have some excellent chops, and you are able to demonstrate your technique without sacrificing expressiveness. Thanks for the share.
Quote by xevious1
may i recommend the jbl lsr 305

I read more about the JBL LSR 305, looks like they are the best for the price, so I got them.

This is the upgraded setup:

I now have the gear to do the 3rd album, I want this one to be huge, in lenght, music, sound and crazy ideas in general, good idea or not, it looks like fun

I'll probably disappear from the internet for some months, lots of stuff to do!

Thanks for the reviews everyone !