I've been playing on the same Ibanez s520ex for the past 9 years (well I guess 3 with the 6 year break I took). This guitar has been awesome, and it sounds so nice but one thing i've always noticed is that the notes barely ring out past the 12th fret on the higher strings. I always thought I just sucked at solos because I could never make the master of puppets solo sound clean, but yesterday I tried my buddies epiphone les paul custom and it was crazy; I felt like I could play so fast because it was so smooth all of the notes on the higher end of the fretboard rung out and I barely had to press down for them to sound good.

While I've been thinking about upgrading my vox valvetronix that ive also had for 9 years, I'm now considering getting a new guitar. An amp would make me sound better but a new guitar would allow me to play so many solos that I've never been able to play cleanly.

I'm really close to just dropping a few hundred on the same les paul custom my buddy has; its only like $600 and it plays how I want it to, but I want to to see what you guys have to say. I'm sure there's a better guitar I can get for my price range I just don't know which one. I really want to stress that the main and probably only reason I'm getting a new guitar is because of the issue mine has with playing notes past the 12th fret, so I want a guitar that doesn't have this issue.

I also would prefer this guitar to not have the floyd rose tremolo system, I hate that shit so much.
Last edited by ZachDro at Jun 29, 2016,
The Ibanez more than likely just needs a good set up, if you are not comfortable with or knowlegable enough to tweak the set up yourself try to find a reputable tech to take it to and express your concerns, having your guitar properly set up will make a world of difference. No reason that Ibanez can't be made to play well unless there is some extreme fretwear.

If you have been happy with the Ibanez just get it set up properly and continue to enjoy, if you are set on buying another guitar still have the Ibanez set up and you may consider buying used you will get a better guitar used for the same money as a lessor new model.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jun 29, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
The Ibanez more than likely just needs a good set up

I second this. From the sounds of it, this is all you'd need to do to get the higher frets where you'd like them. As far as the Floyd (well, Ibanez equivalent in this case), they can be a real pain if you leave them floating. I usually block mine (a tech could do this as well) to make it down only or hard tail. They tend to be a lot more manageable like that and the tuning stability can't be beat (just my two cents).
Evilnine's probably correct; a really good setup will make a difference.
You'd have a love/hate relationship with some of my guitars: LPs with Floyds!

I have a guy named Gary Brawer in San Francisco do two things: superglue the frets (here's the process: http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Neck_Building_and_Repair_and_Setup/Super_glue_your_frets_for_better_tone.html ) and run the guitar on the PLEK machine. It really makes a difference on the "above the 12th fret" stuff.

One caution regarding LPs -- they have a pretty clunky neck heel that always bugged me when playing up high. There are several guitars that fix that: the Agile AL-3200, the Gibson Axcess, and the Matt Heafy sig epiphones are examples. MUCH more comfortable playing up high.

And while Gibson won't give you jumbo frets, a lot of these other models will.
Another vote for a setup. And another vote for blocking the trem. I did that on my LTD Explorer, and I love it now.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I don't find the neck heel so clumsy as the neck itself. I wouldn't dream of going near any of the 50's repro baseball bat necks. If going Les Paul for solo type stuff I'd be after an axcess, as nice as the customs are.
IDK a properly set up Floyd should not present any major tuning stability issues if it is a decent trem, not sure what model comes on that guitar Ibanez makes some killer floaters but they make some duds as well.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
IDK a properly set up Floyd should not present any major tuning stability issues if it is a decent trem, not sure what model comes on that guitar Ibanez makes some killer floaters but they make some duds as well.

Good point
Yet another vote for a good setup on the Ibanez - It sounds like it's well overdue for one!

That being said, it's possible that you've also developed a new fondness for Les Pauls, and there's nothing wrong with that either. Look for a version with a sculpted neck heel if possible (such as the Matt Heafy sig).
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff