I am thinking of picking up a 4x12 to use with a Marshall Class 5 and Blackstar HT5RW for some classic rock to metal tones.

I see Peaveys(specifically 5150 and JSX) for anywhere around 170 to 250 for cabs in good condition.

Popular opinion is people love them or hate them...Some cabs dont sound as good with certain heads, so I figured I would drop this question here.

Has anyone used either one of these cabinets with a Marshall class 5 or blackstar 5 watt and how it sounded?

couldnt find anything in googlesearch
Last edited by spadeswyld at Jun 29, 2016,
Go for a 2x12 with Vintage 30s or G12T-75s or Eminence Legend V12s.. I don't see why on Earth you would want a 4x12.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jun 29, 2016,
Mainly due to pri
Quote by Sakke
Go for a 2x12 with Vintage 30s or G12T-75s or Eminence Legend V12s.. I don't see why on Earth you would want a 4x12.

mainly due to price. and the sheffields are supposed to sound like really broken in (early breakup) greenbacks, so I figured it may go well with a lower (even though LOUD) 5 watt amp.

and I can run stereo between the two amps.
Last edited by spadeswyld at Jun 29, 2016,
Quote by spadeswyld
Mainly due to pri

mainly due to price. and the sheffields are supposed to sound like really broken in (early breakup) greenbacks, so I figured it may go well with a lower (even though LOUD) 5 watt amp.

and I can run stereo between the two amps.

Pretty sure you need to mod a single 4x12 to run two amps.. PRETTY sure, not completely..
Also, you want to run the amps simultaneously at the same time to gain a unique tone? You'd be better off with 2 2x12s with different speakers and run your guitar to two amps.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jun 29, 2016,
Buy one for a good price and if you don't like it flip it for a few $ profit. . .
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
In my experience, of the Sheffield loaded cabs out there, the XXX cabs are the best sounding. There are some folks who like the 6505/5150 cabs, more though that dislike them. Haven't heard much about the JSX cabs, but the speakers are different than those found in the XXX cabs if memory serves me right.

I still have a couple of my XXX speakers, which I held on to in case any of my Celestions ever go down. My XXX 4x12 is loaded with Vintage 30 and G12T-75 speakers in an x-pattern. The XXX speakers sound fairly similar to the Vintage 30. My Marshall 1960a, oddly enough, doesn't have any Celestions in it anymore (WGS and Eminence). But, I liked the XXX speakers enough to hold on to them in case my nicer speakers go down.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Sheffields are shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Sheffields are shit.

I've always had good luck with them tonally.
Tom Morello played a peavey cab for years, I would assume he changed the speakers. A 2x12 w/ Vintage 30's is just sweet.... just sweeeeet as can be. A good budget cab is one with G12-M-75's (80's Marshall speakers that were made in abundance) - you can usually find a 4x12 Marshall cab for a decent price. A lot of folks thought they wanted a stack until they had to turn it down.

If your absolutely sold on a 4x12 - Peavey cabs are pretty solidly made. I'd look at Marshall's too, if you get the aforementioned G12T's, you;ll have the Malmsteen Tone, provided you have the right amp, it doesn't get much more classic metal than that.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
You can also find used Carvin 4x12 cabs for next to nothing on the used market. The speakers aren't all that great in them either, but construction wise both (peavey and carvin) are very well built cabinets. WGS and Eminence are affordable speaker options as an upgrade. You can find used Celestions if you keep an eye out and save a little cash that way as well if upgrading the speakers in a cab.

Dig through Craigslist and you can find them for right around 100 bucks.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
ThunderPunk
Carvin Legacy cabs have Celestion Vintage 30s. One of the great cheap sleeper cabs.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee

Legacy cabs command a bit more on the used market than the other series Carvin 4x12 cabs. But, the OP may be able to find one in his price range if he is patient and digs enough.

Crate Blue Voodoo cabs are another decent cab that came stock with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers that can be found fairly cheap (not all blue voodoo cabs came with Vintage 30 speakers though, so always gotta check). Of course, whenever dealing with any used cabs... it's a good idea to check inside before buying to make sure those Celestion speakers are still there - when possible, just pop the side handle off and bring a flashlight.
Reason being is I can't justify a 3-500 dollar cabinet at the moment, especially since i would classify myself as an early intermedited player. Will keep an eye out for the carving legacy. Thanks all!
Quote by Cathbard
Sheffields are shit.

only tone snobs, wealthy first world citizens and kids wanting to look cool on the internet will have such opinions. They sound perfectly fine! there are much worste speakers out there. If they are so terrible why the hell do some people like the way they sound or even use them? You think everyone can just go and buy some expensive speakers? get a bloody clue man! people like you just piss me off!
^^^Except they ARE shit. I didn't think so at first. But then I upgraded to Eminence Governors (similar to Celestion V 30s), and now every time I play through my cab with a Sheffield in it, I want to stop playing immediately. There are some worse speakers than Sheffields, but you've gotta be scraping the bottom of the barrel to find them.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I have a XXX 412 cab, but I only have Peavey and Randall heads at them moment. I have been told that the XXX Sheffields are very similar to the V30s. Some say that they're the only Sheffields they like. I also have a 212 cab with Sheffield 1230's in it. Those have a nice versatility, but are masters of none. I do really like the XXX speakers for Metal and cleans. I'll be honest, I've played through 100+ different guitars, and many different amps, but I've never played through anything but Peavey cabs with Sheffields of some kind in them. I started playing in the early 90's and that's what Peavey was using then. I've always been able to get the tone I want out of them one way or another. So I never tried anything else. I guess I'm adding that more to tell you that I can't compare them to anything else personally, and bit to tell you that I've always been happy with them.

Man writing that out, makes me sad .... I should AT LEAST TRY something else lol.
KailM

Which Sheffield speakers were you using? Not all Sheffield speakers are the same. Some are better than others. I don't think any of them are stellar, but some are more usable than others. The XXX speakers are very nice sounding speakers. The Sheffield 1200 / 1230 speakers were terrible. 1290 was pretty lousy as well. Then you have the other Peavey speakers... Blue Marvel are okay. Black Widow and Scorpion speakers get some love from people too. A lot of diversity in the Peavey speaker realm. Some winners, some losers. Sure, I like Celestions more than the Peavey/Sheffield speakers, but in a pinch, I would use certain speakers from Peavey if I had to without much grumbling.
Quote by belleraphon
only tone snobs, wealthy first world citizens and kids wanting to look cool on the internet will have such opinions. They sound perfectly fine! there are much worste speakers out there. If they are so terrible why the hell do some people like the way they sound or even use them? You think everyone can just go and buy some expensive speakers? get a bloody clue man! people like you just piss me off!
Fuck you too, mate. My statement stands on its merits. If you can't afford anything better that isn't my fault.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd say go for the peavey cab, its a great starter cab and will get you playing. You can always upgrade later when you have more money and have developed a better ear. The thing about lower quality speakers is that they will sound fine to you when they are all you have, only when you compare them against a better speaker are you going to notice their short comings, or when you develop your ear more. If your budget is around $200 you aren't going to find anything much better
I like the sound of sheffield 1230. Mine was rated at 150 watts but the cone ripped loose after hours of playing at 100 watts and after 2 repairs the coil melted. So, maybe just go easy on them.
Cathbard
the XXX speakers are not bad. Kinda remind me of the G12K-85 a little bit. The 5150 Speakers are complete shit. VK speakers are even worse. That being said all my peavey cabs have celestions.