what are you guys using for situations like this? id like something i can use late night while my family is sleeping. my amp doesnt offer a headphone output. i was thinking maybe some used older digitech rp or maybe a line 6 pod 2.0. just a few options that crossed my mind. im interested to see what some of you guys use. thanks in advance.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
A portable digital modeler or a MFX pedal are probably the standard options.

Line 6 Pods are very popular- probably the #1 product line for such things. Boss' Micro BR line is among the more powerful. I personally have a few Korg Pandoras and a Tascam GT-R1.

I also have a MFX pedal with a headphone out.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
how do you like them?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
What I do is I use either of these:

or

or even one of those cheapo M-Audio cables...

They're both recording interfaces that plug into the computer. With those, you're able to run your guitar direct into your computer's DAW and use amp simulators for different tones. There are a bunch of free options. Personally I really like the LePou stuff and even some of the TSE and Nick Crow plugins. You use them with a cab loader and you'll be set. LePou does a cab loader and it works well. I personally use a mix of Rosen, Kalthallen (free) and Redwirez (free) to get some really awesome tones for late night jamming and even recording.

That being said, a multifx like the POD etc... would work as well.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by romeozdistress
how do you like them?

With the portable digital modelers, no one device does all sounds well, but each does something I love. And I can use normal guitar pedals with them or even use them in my rig, if I wish. Each has features like a tuner, metronome, or even some generic preprogrammed drum beats to play along with. Most will also feature some kind of recording capability or computer interface or both. Combine all that with their sir being small enough to put in a gig bag or HSC, and I honestly feel they're a practice tool every electric guitar player should own.

What the MFX pedals lack in portability or number of bundled features, they tend to make up in modeling quality,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Peavey ReValver on the Computer + RockSmith Guitar to USB Cable + Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones = Happy Marriage + Sleeping Kids.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Another option is the Peavey Vypyr VIP 1. It's a little over $100 American brand new, and by now, there's probably quite a few on the used market for even cheaper. It has a lot of cool features when you connect it with your computer, and it has a headphone jack. If you get one second hand, all of the programs are free to download from Peavey's website.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

or

They're both recording interfaces that plug into the computer. With those, you're able to run your guitar direct into your computer's DAW and use amp simulators for different tones. There are a bunch of free options. Personally I really like the LePou stuff and even some of the TSE and Nick Crow plugins. You use them with a cab loader and you'll be set. LePou does a cab loader and it works well. I personally use a mix of Rosen, Kalthallen (free) and Redwirez (free) to get some really awesome tones for late night jamming and even recording.

The top one?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I don't want to have to cart a computer around just to do headphone practice.

I have a couple of Korg Pandoras (a 5 and a Mini) that are pocketable, have headphone interfaces, and are currently about $99 for the Mini (less used). Battery powered, and they have a built-in tuner, auxiliary input (plug your iGizmo into it), phrase trainer, slower-downer, pitch shifter, amps/cabs/effects, all that.

Note that they do NOT need to be plugged into the wall. They do NOT need to be plugged into a laptop or iPhone. They can ride in the accessories pocket of your guitar case, in the pocket of a gig bag or even your own pocket.

Last edited by dspellman at Jul 2, 2016,
I have one of those headphone amps (I bought a joyo one on Amazon for $20), it works really well. Its super loud. I have to turn it down in my headphones so I don't deafen myself. It sounds pretty good.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

or

What are those, specifically?

In my case $60 on Ebay got me this:

I am curious about the Pandora Mini, not that the Micro Br doesn't work well, it is even my go-to jam session processor when I visit a friend with a PA system, plug and play.
Last edited by diabolical at Jun 30, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What are those, specifically?

Top one is a Line 6 GX and the Bottom one is a Focusrite 2i2
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I use a Zoom G3, makes for an awesome headphones amp. It has amp models, cab models, tons of fx, tuner, looper, drum beats and sounds great through headphones. Unlike other options, you have hands-free control over everything.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Top one is a Line 6 GX and the Bottom one is a Focusrite 2i2
thanks!

Quote by metalmingee
Peavey ReValver on the Computer + RockSmith Guitar to USB Cable + Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones = Happy Marriage + Sleeping Kids.

I love Peavey Revalver
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by lucky1978
I use a Zoom G3, makes for an awesome headphones amp. It has amp models, cab models, tons of fx, tuner, looper, drum beats and sounds great through headphones. Unlike other options, you have hands-free control over everything.

Exactly, Zoom's newer products are amazing. They double as pedals and, unlike some others, you don't have to use the amp modeling, you can just a hand-full of effects.
Quote by lucky1978
Quote by Leather Sleeves
I got a pocket pod a few years ago, which is okay, but recently got the Zoom g1xon. It's got more features and functionality, sounds better, and is cheaper.

Zoom are always my recommendation for this too.

The G3 has extra effects & sims etc and works better if you want to switch individual effects on & off within a patch during a song, but the G1on has the added feature of an aux input so you can plug an MP3 player into it & jam along.

If it's purely something basic for headphone practice only, go for the cheaper G1on, if you think you might want to use it as an effects pedal with an amp, go for the G3.

Or do what I did & get both.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'm glad I stumbled on this thread, I bought an amp last year (line 6 spider in 75) but it's way to big for my tiny condo and it lives in the bedroom, which means once the wife is in bed I'm plunking on strings. I borrowed an irig from my dad but I'm not impressed enough with the quality to buy one myself.

I learned my lesson on not doing research last time ( see line 6 spider). I'm a mostly metal guy, but I try to not limit myself.

Would you recommend the zoom G3 as something I could easily move if I wanted to play in my living room? i rarely play through speakers as it is, but if I did want to get a monitor or something later on would it serve well there?

Thanks
Garris
Do you have a laptop? Just get a $20-$30 guitar to USB cable and use Peavey ReValver on the laptop. Great high gain tones - 6505, 6505+, other various Peaveys - 3120, XXX II (JSX), ENGL Powerball, Mesa Dual Rec, Diezel, etc.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
metalmingee no unfortunately I have a desktop, and a iPad

I've been kind of looking into the orange micro series. Which would allow me something super small, but if I moved into a bigger place I could hook into a cab.

The revalver looks amazing though
Quote by Garris
metalmingee no unfortunately I have a desktop, and a iPad

A desktop should be just as capable as interfacing with a guitar, but less convenient & portable.

I have an iPhone 6, an iPad 2 and an iPad Pro 9.7. Just a quick search of Sweetwater revealed these devices that may be able to work with an Apple tablet or phone.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c1062--iPad_iPhone_Guitar_Interfaces_FX

In addition, there is the discontinued DigiTech iPB-10 MFX device which works ONLY with an iPad or iPad 2. Models a bunch of stuff. Note: the iPad does not need to be connected while you're playing, just when you are swapping amp & effect sims.
http://digitech.com/en-US/products/ipb-10-programmable-pedalboard

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 1, 2016,
I'm leaning getting one of the zooms or save for awhile for a used line 6 HD.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
dannyalcatraz do yo have an experience with those interfaces, I'm using an irig i borrowed and the sound quality is not goo, lots of,excess noise. Would there be one you recommended ?
Unfortunately, the only iPad interface I use is the iPB-10. I'm far more likely to use my iMac with the interfacing options of things like a Korg, Tascam, Boss or Line 6 portable digital modeler than one of those designed to work with tablets or smartphones.

Still, I imagine iRigs have improved a bit, and even if it hasn't, the existence of all those other products make me think that there's SOMETHING out there with decent tones. So its worth doing a little homework if you really want to use your tablet or phone as your preferred guitar/computing device.

used like 6 beans are like 40 bucks. just hunt down any old milti effect unit anyway for like 60 bucks and you will be fine really.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.