How do all of you feel about Uber / Lyft and other ridesharing services?

The NJ Senate has a bill, S-2179, that will allow these services to continue to operate in the state.

Uber is currently contacting NJ residents who have previously used their service to ask them to tweet support messages to the Senate to have Democrats vote yes on the bill.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2016/Bills/S2500/2179_I1.HTM

I've used Uber two or three times when I didn't have a driver's license to get to a show and once to get home from work. I had no immediate issues those times, but I've become a little more wary of the company's practices as a whole. They don't seem to have much in the way of actual training for drivers, and there have been a few cases since the service began where drivers with DWI's have slipped through their background check process.

I don't think these services should be completely abolished in my state considering the abysmal status of our public transit system, but companies like Uber need to be held accountable for their lack of oversight.

My father on the other hand has been very much against these services from the start. He's involved with a disability advocacy group and believes these companies skirt or outright ignore ADA regulations. Last year there were multiple lawsuits filed against both companies involving accusations of drivers refusing rides to the disabled or in one case a driver allegedly stuffed a guide dog into a trunk.

And that's about all I have in me for an OP. Discuss or shitpost at your own discretion. Also if you want sources, use google. I'm gonna go eat something.

I should probably also acknowledge now that my opinion on Uber is definitely a tad biased since I got into an accident with one of their drivers and he acted like an obnoxious twat.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Taxi companies trying to protect their racket. That's all it is.
I was okay with it here until the driver quality started slipping super hard. Now they're hardly better than cabbies so I just take licensed cabs and save the hassle.

I've had uber drivers do dumb shit like talk about shit they shouldn't be telling me, coming with the wrong car, driving away without closing doors and another dude had dents all over his car and a massive crack across the windshield. I've reported every shady driver I have ever gotten but still, it's crazy what a lot of them get away with.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It's a good idea, but I'd personally never use it. Drivers ought to take measures for their own safety, ever since that Taco Bell exec and that resident (as in, person who graduated med school) went viral on YouTube.
Free Ali
Quote by UltimateGuizar
Uber, I hardly even knew her

You. I like you.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Austin banned uber/lyft like a bunch of idiots.

As Austin Struggles To Understand Life Without Uber & Lyft, DUI Arrests On The Rise
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160626/01311234823/as-austin-struggles-to-understand-life-without-uber-lyft-dui-arrests-rise.shtml

A month ago, folks in Austin Texas voted against a proposition that Uber and Lyft supported, concerning a number of new rules that would be put on ride hailing operations. Given that, both companies immediately shut down operations in Austin -- a city with over a million residents and only 900 cabs. In response, people are so desperate for rides that they're seriously trying to recreate the Lyft/Uber experience by using a Facebook group where people can post their location, negotiate a fee, and have someone pick them up (something that seems a lot more dangerous than typical Uber/Lyft).

DUI (driving under the influence) arrests have gone up by 7.5% compared to the previous year.

This does not mean that Uber/Lyft leaving is absolutely the cause, as there may be lots of other factors. But the anecdotal evidence certainly suggests it's having an impact.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I love Uber. Super useful

Never used Lyft but I'm guessing it's the same

Cabs here are shady as fuck
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jun 29, 2016,
My town has no mass/public transit system, but everything I could possibly want is either within walking distance, or 60+ miles away.

I went on a train once in chicago, that's it. Never been in a taxi, public bus, etc.
Last edited by stratkat at Jun 29, 2016,
Give them the same oversight regular taxi companies have... that's about it, right? That's the argument against? Their customer model is awesome. I don't use them (metro's cheaper) but can imagine getting stranded and needing a cab in which case they'd be great considering that regular cab services are phoned and don't use GPS.

Plus the lack of money exchange between driver/customer and not having to go to the ATM cuz you blew your cash.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jun 29, 2016,
States / municipalities that ban Uber / Lyft / Airbnb are libtards who hate success, business, capitalism, and freedom. Fuck em.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I use it all the time. Get shmammered with the boys and split a 20 dollar Uber 4 ways and you're gucci
I'm all about people making extra money, but at some point with all these ideas we have to start thinking about the consequences of people having "real" jobs, like being a taxi driver, and what things like this do to the job market. Some deal with all the robotic and computer technology taking jobs from people. Give it a rest already.
p sure Google's self-driving cars could replace Uber drivers in the near future
Quote by JustRooster
That's a shamanic incantation of truth if I ever heard one.
The taxi industry trying to get Uber banned and prevent any competition is like a textbook example of crony capitalism.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
The taxi industry trying to get Uber banned and prevent any competition is like a textbook example of crony capitalism.
agree it is hypocritical, but at some point it seems like these kinds things will do more harm than good for the economy in the big picture.
Quote by mattedbird
agree it is hypocritical, but at some point it seems like these kinds things will do more harm than good for the economy in the big picture.

embrace the automation

Uber is fantastic. I live in Austin...who recently BANNED them unless they bow to ridiculous regulations...etc. I actually think the wording on the ballots were so screwed up that people unknowingly voted to disallow them to continue their services.

This is a big party town, and I used them numerous times. Every driver I ever had was just a regular person and always very nice. The prices were low, etc.

The cabbie lobbies attacked relentlessly and eventually won. Now you can't get a ride anywhere without paying twice as much, waiting twice as long for them to get there, and 9 times out of 10 it'll be a stinky foreigner that can't engage in a meaningful conversation in English.

Anyhow...Uber is great because it allows regular people to work for themselves and earn money. Don' t let the government hacks and cab lobbies scare you into thinking they are anything more.
Quote by bradulator
embrace the automation

Kat Timpf

Foxy News
Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Foxy News

The chick is a bit of a dummy but
Quote by Rossenrot
Taxi companies trying to protect their racket. That's all it is.
the taxi industry as a whole obviously needs an overhaul. the current system in NYC is just ridiculous.

i like the concept of Uber and ridesharing as an alternative to taxis and public transit because taxis here in NJ frequently dont show up after youve been waiting for a half hour or try to pull that shit where they dont put the meter on and try to get you to pay $20 for for a few blocks. plus like i said NJ has a practically nonexistent transit system outside of the NE corridor areas.

where i live right now the only busses have to be scheduled over the phone 24 hours in advance, they cant guarantee you can bring a bike on the bus with you so if it ends up being packed you're shit out of luck, and if you just so happen to have bad enough luck to miss your bus 3 times you're banned from using it for a week.

there just needs to be more regulation for these services. not necessarily by the state or other government agencies, but by Uber themselves.

i hardly think a driver's license, a vehicle, car insurance, and a training video should be the onpy qualifications.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
As far as riding is concerned: It's all good until you get picked up by a serial killer or sexual sadist.

As far as driving is concerned: It's all good until you pick up a serial killer or sexual sadist.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jun 30, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
As far as riding is concerned: It's all good until you get picked up by a serial killer or sexual sadist.

As far as driving is concerned: It's all good until you pick up a serial killer or sexual sadist.

One of my uber drivers was making casual date rape remarks that he thought I was cool with I guess. When he realized his mistake he covered it up by saying he was joking and said how he likes white chicks cause all they do is drink and fuck.

Needless to say I reported his ass super quick
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
As I've said before, on one hand large American companies bringing their shit here is the devil, but on the other hand taxi drivers are the devil.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Large American taxi companies are literally slouching towards Bethlehem at this point.
Quote by JustRooster
i actually saw a tweet last night using Uber's hashtag that said something like "Pretty sure my Uber driver is shitfaced. I don't wanna die listening to a Rebecca Black mix."

i should have saved an image.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
One of my uber drivers was making casual date rape remarks that he thought I was cool with I guess. When he realized his mistake he covered it up by saying he was joking and said how he likes white chicks cause all they do is drink and fuck.

Needless to say I reported his ass super quick

Yeah I just wonder how well they vet their drivers before allowing them to drive, not that cab drivers aren't creepy sometimes. I'm glad I never really need to rely on either cabs or Uber.

I'm pretty sure Ted Bundy could have qualified to be an Uber driver before his crimes were discovered and he probably would have done it.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jun 30, 2016,
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i actually saw a tweet last night using Uber's hashtag that said something like "Pretty sure my Uber driver is shitfaced. I don't wanna die listening to a Rebecca Black mix."

i should have saved an image.

^This although I'm not sure which is worse the drunk driving or the music
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

i own a car and i don't live in the "city" areas, so i'll never need to use uber

it's a good idea, and it's job creation so there you go...
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I only take licensed taxis, and then I try and only get ones from companies I recognise. Admittedly there's no Uber in my area (although there is in London where I work) but I would rather have the knowledge that the driver has had background checks as well as extra tests on their knowledge of the area, an additional driving test, and a safe vehicle. I've never had a problem with taxis over charging (the tariffs are fixed) or bad driving, and I feel confident knowing that if I did have a problem it would be easy to report it.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I feel safer in regular cabs than Uber/Lyft etc. I know there's creeps everywherebut, I've never had an uncomfortable experience in a cab whereas I've never had a comfortable one in a ride sharing thing.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
I feel safer in regular cabs than Uber/Lyft etc. I know there's creeps everywherebut, I've never had an uncomfortable experience in a cab whereas I've never had a comfortable one in a ride sharing thing.

Seems like an opportunity for some sicko's IMO, just because you have a vlald driver's license and a clean driving record don't mean you are a stable person or a good driver no accidents could just be dumb luck.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

I used to use Uber a lot, and haven't had any bad experiences with it (the quality of Uber drivers might differ from area to area, though, so I dunno). It's pretty useful if you want to go bar hopping with your buds or don't have a DD or whatever.
Quote by bradulator
The chick is a bit of a dummy but

Which one? The blonde one wasn't...
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Dab for the one time
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster