So I bought I johnson acoustic 50r from this lady I work with in hopes of using it as an extension cab for my orange. Only problem is it sounds like bees in a beer can with it's unnamed speakers and it was actually missing a tweeter. Also since I ripped out the original amp my orange micro dark fits nicely in the empty spot next to my scarlett solo, but again with the extreme fuzziness and nonexistent bass.

So now I'm wondering if it would even be worth it to find, say, and 8" bass speaker to put in it? Or would there be any simple mods I could do to the original johnson amp to change its gain structure or similar? I don't have an acoustic with electric capabilities and play mostly rock and metal so I don't have use for a clean amp anyway.

At the very least It was fun the tear the thing apart and rewire the speakers, so if all else fails It was still worth the $15 I paid.
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
the speakers used in guitar amps are made different than say PA speakers or bass amp speakers which is probably what's in the amp now, putting a bass speaker probably wont sound that much different than the speaker that's already in it.

you can, however, fit an 8in guitar speaker in it and i would expect you to get great results, maybe something off this list would work for you:

http://www.songsimian.com/best-8-inch-guitar-speaker-review/

i have limited experience with speakers smaller than the typical 12s that are in most modern cabs, though i did just pick up a lil' night train and it straight screams despite being 2W through a little 10in speaker. on the topic of tweeters it's been my experience 99% of the noise they add is unwanted anyway so i wouldn't worry about it even though i've heard people rave about them, i'm fairly convinced it's snake oil.
Okay, so let me get this straight. You bought a Johnson Acoustic amp, but you ripped out the amp and it was already missing the tweeter and you don't like the way the remaining 8" speaker sounds with the Orange Micro Dork?
Quote by knockoffstrat
the speakers used in guitar amps are made different than say PA speakers or bass amp speakers which is probably what's in the amp now,

i have limited experience with speakers smaller than the typical 12s that are in most modern cabs, though i did just pick up a lil' night train and it straight screams despite being 2W through a little 10in speaker. on the topic of tweeters it's been my experience 99% of the noise they add is unwanted anyway so i wouldn't worry about it even though i've heard people rave about them, i'm fairly convinced it's snake oil.

In what way are guitar speakers "made different" from PA or bass amp speakers?

The 12" speakers you refer to are not in "modern" cabs, but are mostly in cabinets that are replicas of those cobbled together half a century ago and "designed" simply to be big enough to hold the quantity of cheap speakers a manufacturer needed to handle a higher-power amplifier.

Guitars produce tones above and below what "guitar" speakers normally reproduce. In particular an acoustic guitar sounds muffled through a standard amp with standard 12" speakers. Thus, the expensive acoustic amps will often have a bass speaker in a closed-back, sometimes ported box along with a crossover and a tweeter to reproduce the highs.

A lot of modern players are turning to wider-range cabinets for electric guitars as well. Modelers do much better through a full-range cabinet, and extended range guitar players looking for bottom end from their 7, 8 and 9-string guitars won't find it in a standard 4x12.

Tweeters do two things -- they reproduce harmonics that are normally lost because those old-design "guitar" speakers can't reproduce them, and they widen the dispersion of treble. A 12" speaker begins to beam treble above about 1300Hz, and a 4x12 beams everything above about 450Hz. A tweeter will actually widen the dispersion of highs. They don't "add unwanted noise."

In the late '60's and early '70's, manufacturers began to modernize cabinets, producing some with 15" speakers in ported cabinets alongside mid-hi tweeters. I have one such cabinet from 1971, which has a pair of 15" Altec Lansing 418-8As and a tweeter. What that cabinet is capable of reproducing is certainly not "snake oil."
Quote by dspellman
Okay, so let me get this straight. You bought a Johnson Acoustic amp, but you ripped out the amp and it was already missing the tweeter and you don't like the way the remaining 8" speaker sounds with the Orange Micro Dork?

Precisely, but to be fair it still has 1 tweeter. Haha.

And thanks for the link btw; anyone have experience with the Jensen mod 8?

Would replacement tweeters be viable considering I don't have a full 12" speaker? I had always thought the bigger the speaker the more low end it would bring, but I guess it'd make more sense for it to increase the whole frequency spectrum.
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
Quote by WildMiles96

Would replacement tweeters be viable considering I don't have a full 12" speaker? I had always thought the bigger the speaker the more low end it would bring, but I guess it'd make more sense for it to increase the whole frequency spectrum.

Cone size has nothing to do with the amount of low end they'll produce.
The largest-selling bass amps are those with 10" speakers (they're not necessarily the *best* bass cabinets, of course), and Phil Jones uses 5" speakers in his bass amps (which are very good indeed).

I have a pair of KRK Rokit 8 studio monitors that have an 8" woofer and a 1" tweeter. That 8" woofer goes all the way down to 35Hz (the average 12" guitar speaker stops way up at 100-110Hz) and the tweeter extends things out to well above 20Khz. They make a subwoofer to go with these things with around 200W and a 10" subwoofer speaker.

Most guitar players make all kinds of assumptions about speaker cone size, etc., most of which are incorrect.
Thanks for all the info. In this particular case do you think it'd be better to forgo a cheap set of tweeters to hopefully stop and buzz or fizziness?
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
Quote by WildMiles96
Thanks for all the info. In this particular case do you think it'd be better to forgo a cheap set of tweeters to hopefully stop and buzz or fizziness?

Tweeters have nothing to do with buzz or fizziness. They simply reproduce what your amp sends out. If your amp has buzz or fizziness, they'll help reproduce it, but you'll probably find that your 8 or 10 or 12" speaker will also do that.