Ive se en many discussions about what oil to use and not use , some catch om fire by friction, some are too wet and so on. So i was wondering, is it possible to ude just regular Olive or rape oil?? ( the plant you dirty basterds

I have an old australian caliber guitars, strat that i wanna try it out on, it has a Maple neck.

Thanks for the advise
Dude, don't put olive oil on your maple neck. Does it have lacquer on it already? Unless it's completely unfinished, just play it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
It's called rapeseed oil. Not rape oil. Don't use any oil on any finished maple necks. It won't do anything for it and it will just sit on top of your finish and be a mess. Don't use olive oil or any cooking oil on your guitars unless you like sticky fingerboards that will smell after a few weeks.

Finished maple board? Scrape it with a credit card and hit it with some naphtha and a rag if you really need a good cleaning.

Rosewood/Ebony? Naphtha, a card and a rag. Maybe some fretboard oil (not canola or olive oil) if it's dry.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
What could possibly make you you think olive oil was good for guitars?

You do know lemon oil isn't actually squeezed from lemons right?
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
What could possibly make you you think olive oil was good for guitars?

There is a lot of funny info on the interweb.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
A laquer/poly-finished maple neck is sealed and shouldn't be exposed to any oil or liquid. Just wipe off. Any moisture that seeps into the wood will just ruin the neck with time, lift the frets &/or warp the neck. An "unfinished/raw" neck is sealed with gunstock oil or wax (or similar) and the proper treatment of these is to sand and reapply sealer if you want to do anything to them. Do not use lemon oil on maple, unfinished or not.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Olive oil, salt and tomatoes off a maple fretboard is really the only way to eat it
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by Tony Done
I think any mono-unsaturated non-drying oil, eg olive, canola, rice bran, grapeseed etc, would work fine on an unfinished fretboard.

Cheese whiz, too. I think it's a petroleum by-product, innit?
I think the only concern with some of the vegetable oils has been over whether they'll go rancid, and I honestly have never heard first hand of that happening (particularly when you're only supposed to use a few drops on an entire fretboard...)
Use oil on a maple board only if followed by wine vinegar,crushed garlic,salt and pepper. Use the neck to toss a nice salad.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by dspellman
Cheese whiz, too. I think it's a petroleum by-product, innit?
I think the only concern with some of the vegetable oils has been over whether they'll go rancid, and I honestly have never heard first hand of that happening (particularly when you're only supposed to use a few drops on an entire fretboard...)

Cheese whiz? That reminded me of one of those daft cooking competitions.

Yeah, I don't know the differences in stability of those mono oils, but in general they are very stable. Like you, I have never heard of a problem.
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

I like lemon oil, it has a mild cleaner in it as well as oil. Inexpensive too.
Moving on.....