Page 1 of 4
I didn't say best, or most worth the money. what is your personal favorite guitar for that amount of cash and why!!??
Guitars: traveler ag-200eq
epiphone dr-100 sunburst
epiphone les paul studio
None.

It isn't a question worth considering for me because I can afford much better guitars.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 30, 2016,
Might just about get a used Epiphone Les Paul Custom, though I'd be looking for an old Ibanez maybe for a nicer neck and fatter frets.
T00DEEPBLUE I mean I'm really glad that you can afford better guitars but this was more a question about the weird little guitars people like to own just out of pure obscurity as well as performance. For example the warlock isn't exactly a fantastic guitar but havi9ng seen some at an 80$ pricepoint i think it would be neat. I just wanted to start a discussion about these things.
epiphone dr-100 sunburst
epiphone les paul studio
Hmmm... I'd say probably a good Squier/Fender Strat. Unexciting, I know, but at the price point they are awful hard to beat.

A used OLP Axis MM1 is also a pretty sweet guitar for often under $200.

I definitely prefer more simple guitars in that price range. Anything with too many gizmos tends to have a lot of issues.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
None really cause most of them are 400-600 dollar guitars after you buy them and have to fix them up.

That being said, I liked my SX guitar from Rondo but it wasnt amazing out of the box.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Easy, my Vietnamese-made Peavey Raptor Plus Exp - Oz$65 at the local hock shop. In fact, I like it best of all the electrics I have owned. It didn't need any fixing up at all; it is about mojo and performance, not price - I spend a lot more on guitars than I do on cars. However, I did change the saddles to pressed steel and reshaped the headstock. The Chinese-made version of the same model that I have seen weren't anywhere near as good - heavier (mine weighs 5 1/4 lb) and badly finished.

EDIT - Why? The pickups sound P90-ish, string-to-string balance is excellent, it only weighs 5 1/4 b, the neck profile and frets are good, and my daughter bought it me for my birthday.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jun 30, 2016,
Quote by lgnxhll98
T00DEEPBLUE I mean I'm really glad that you can afford better guitars but this was more a question about the weird little guitars people like to own just out of pure obscurity as well as performance. For example the warlock isn't exactly a fantastic guitar but havi9ng seen some at an 80$ pricepoint i think it would be neat. I just wanted to start a discussion about these things.

I thought this was a question concerning someone who had only $200 to spend on a guitar and wanted honest answers.

If its only cheap gimmicky guitars that I'd never own, then probably a Hello Kitty strat.

But those things go for $500 used these days because everybody wants them for the juxtaposition of putting EMG's in them to play cannibal corpse. I can't really say I blame them.

And if they're brand new:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELLO-KITTY-RARE-BLACK-FENDER-SQUIER-STRATOCASTER-GUITAR-BRAND-NEW-FREE-SHIP-/282071040685?hash=item41acbe82ad:g:h8QAAOSwQiRUnv97

...yeah.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 30, 2016,
Agile al2000
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Yeah, there aren't any cheap gimmicky guitars like that I'd be interested in. As mentioned above, a Hello Kitty strat if they were only halfway affordable.
Jackson Dinky JS22-7. It's satin black, it's got 7 strings and I've read good reviews of it. Seems like a good deal and a well-made guitar.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I thought this was a question concerning someone who had only $200 to spend on a guitar and wanted honest answers.

If its only cheap gimmicky guitars that I'd never own, then probably a Hello Kitty strat.

But those things go for $500 used these days because everybody wants them for the juxtaposition of putting EMG's in them to play cannibal corpse. I can't really say I blame them.

And if they're brand new:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELLO-KITTY-RARE-BLACK-FENDER-SQUIER-STRATOCASTER-GUITAR-BRAND-NEW-FREE-SHIP-/282071040685?hash=item41acbe82ad:g:h8QAAOSwQiRUnv97

...yeah.

Haha yeah those things are hilarious i saw one that was a flask the other day and that is my joke guitar that i would want ill try to find the link
epiphone dr-100 sunburst
epiphone les paul studio
dthmtl3 this thing looks pretty cool actually
epiphone dr-100 sunburst
epiphone les paul studio
Two of my main guitars were under $200. One was a 1972 Yamaha FG-230 12-string, had a little pull at the bridge but I tuned it down to C# and put a capo on, and now it plays great and the top has settled back to flat. Sounds amazing. The other, that's really my number one electric at this point, was a parts Tele I found on the used wall at Guitar Center. The neck's from a Squier standard Tele (from 2004, according to the serial number), and it plays very nice, it was clearly set up by somebody who knew what they were doing. Body's a Warmoth, with a trans greenburst finish, a white three-ply guard, and I'm not sure what kind of pickups, they sound a little better than stock Squiers I've played but there's no logo or anything on them, so who knows. Sounds exactly how a Tele should, one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played on, but it was only $150.
Quote by romeozdistress
Agile al2000

Those aren't available any more, and they weren't under $200 last time they existed.
Other than the SX Liquid, I can't think of any I'd be particularly interested in.
It's a bit quirky. Can't think of any other reason.

Last edited by dspellman at Jun 30, 2016,
Quote by dspellman
Other than the SX Liquid, I can't think of any I'd be particularly interested in.
It's a bit quirky. Can't think of any other reason.

What is quirky about it?
epiphone dr-100 sunburst
epiphone les paul studio
Quote by lgnxhll98
What is quirky about it?

The shape, mostly.
Friend of mine has one, and he's spent a fortune on it. New pickups, wiring, tuners. His has a trem, and he's pretty much replaced all of the trem components with Fender bits, and he's replaced the bridge with an expensive something or other, like a Mastery. About all that's still original is the wood and paint.
dspellman haha i sometimes wish i had the funding to mod out guitars that intensely xD
epiphone dr-100 sunburst
epiphone les paul studio
Never bought an "under 200" guitar new and can't imagine it being a great experience. Used MiM Tele from a desperate junkie would probably be my choice. Otherwise I would wash cars, mow lawns, and sweep floors until I could afford a better axe. I did pay $200 for my used and abused 1969 Gibson SG Special but that was a few years back.

I sold a 1962 Fender Duo-Sonic to a friend for $100 so I could get the SG. It has historical value now but as a player it was really awful. Worst guitar I ever owned.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 1, 2016,
I paid $100 for a Indonesian-made Squier Strat that had been upgraded with a new bridge and a set of Hot Rails. I also almost pulled the trigger, (regret not doing so) on a MiM Strat with a set of Hotrails, but that had been "reliced" very very badly. The sound was awesome, on the handful of frets you didn't get horrible buzz or dead spots. It played like a First Act though. For $200 though, the hardware probably would have been worth buying it and scrapping the rest.

In both cases, obviously, these were used, and upgraded guitars (hardware wise at least). I also looked at a USA strat a couple weeks ago with Lace Golds in it for $450, but I passed. the Laces just didn't grab me.
I find it fascinating that you'd buy a cheap guitar and point out the hardware alone being worth the price, yet you balked at buying a deeply discounted USA Strat because you didn't like the $200 pickup set it had been upgraded with.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
azrael4h How do i tell how upgraded a guitar is upon first inspection next time im shopping?
epiphone dr-100 sunburst
epiphone les paul studio
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I find it fascinating that you'd buy a cheap guitar and point out the hardware alone being worth the price, yet you balked at buying a deeply discounted USA Strat because you didn't like the $200 pickup set it had been upgraded with.

To be fair, the USA Strat also didn't play as well as the Squier. Needed a setup badly. Whereas the Squier had one, and I really like the sound of the Hotrails. $100 is also a lot easier to justify than $450, especially when that $450 is going mean me spending a bit of time setting it up, cleaning the mass of sticky gunk off of it (seriously, why do half the friggin' guitars at GC have sticky gunk on them?), and all for something that I did not like the sound of in the first place. Finally, when I bought the Squier, I was just off buying a 12 string acoustic, so my guitar budget money was low (I budget everything). I figured that I could resell the p/us and make a small profit, even if I ended up keeping the guitar in the end. Whereas now, while I really want another electric guitar (with single coils for a traditional Strat sound, and maybe swap in a Lil'59 in the bridge), I really would like a better amp than my Beringer. One powerful enough to bring to rehearsal and play electric sometimes rather than just acoustic. My Beringer isn't terrible (not great either) but it would be drowned out if I even tried. So I'd rather hold the $450 for an amp.

I also have no room in my closet. Not that that's stopped me before, note the Epiphone LP which I have in a corner. It was cheap ($250 IIRC), and played well, just hideous after someone rattle canned it. My aunt keeps saying she wants to buy my Ovation, but never brings me the money, so it's sitting in the way gathering dust.
Quote by lgnxhll98
azrael4h How do i tell how upgraded a guitar is upon first inspection next time im shopping?

In the case of the Squier, it has Seymour Duncan Hotrails, which are definitely not stock for a base model Squier Strat. I don't even know if those pickups were around back when the Squires were being made in Indonesia. The other Strat had Lace Golds, and I don't think any standard Strat had those either (maybe a signature model I'm not aware of). The Squier's bridge also looks different from the regular el-cheapos, though since it is an old Indonesian model, it may have been just a better stock bridge from back then. These are fairly obvious. If the pots or switches, etc... are upgraded though, you probably can't tell without pissing off some store employee.

I see a number of guitars with non-stock pickups all the time. I kinda keep an eye out for the cheap guitars with nice pickups now, since usually GC just charges a set price by what it is, not any upgrades, adjusted for condition.
Quote by Ippon
azrael4h

You should just give/lend the Ovation to your aunt, for the goodwill, instead of letting it just gather dust.

I thought of that. It sounded unpleasant, so I haven't. :P

Seriously, I have considered giving her the LP, since to be completely honest I'm a Strat guy in my spleen (I have no heart, and the spleen gets no credit), and the LP doesn't get played much. If I ever quit buying a new guitar every time I go and look for a new amp, I'd give her the Beringer as well, since I probably won't use it after I get a new amp.
I have a MIJ Jackson DXMG I scored from an ex bandmate for $175 it is in near mint condition and plays damn good excellent fit and finish, the EMGHZ pups are crap tho and I will eventually replace them then it will not be under $200 anymore but for now the DXMG.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by lgnxhll98

High end Warlocks are nice the Bronze or other $200 series are what you are seeing for $80 and they are crap, if it's body shape you don't like thats one thing but a high dollar Warlock will not be a crappy guitar.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

The new Jackson JS32 Rhoads is pretty awesome, those can be had new for under 200 bucks if you find them on clearance like I did.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Theres some good guitars that came out of japan in the 80s for $300-400. Under $200 I cant imagin I could find anything worth playing.
The below $200 guitars that I enjoyed were:
  • Squier '51 that GC/MF closed out for $70 (a bunch were given as gifts to relatives and friends)
  • Squier Telecaster (Mahogany with H Bridge and SC neck) also closed out by GC/MF for $70
  • Schecter Revenger 7-string I got used from ss.org for $70 (a pattern)
  • Squier 7-string Strat for $150 used
  • a bunch of MIJ and MIK stuff over the years

None are my favorites though.
I have a used RG7321 that I got for 120 euros that has a Dimarzio X2N 7 in the bridge. Got it so cheap because it was pretty badly modded (still very much in playing condition though) and the guy needed cash. I still play the guitar and it's been a backup guitar for years on gigs.

I also have an old Squier Bullet Strat that I got for 100 euros that plays ok and sounds good enough for when I want a Strat-sound. It's not great, but I couldn't justify spending much more on a guitar that I only use four times a year.
Modifying guitars can quickly take them out of the realm of "cheap."

I now have two Agile AL2000 Floyd guitars. There are two fundamental differences (besides the Floyd) that differentiate them from standard AL2000s. One, the neck-body transition uses a "tilted" neck heel that is, for all practical purposes, very similar in function to the Gibson Axcess-style neck heel. That makes for great upper fret comfort. Two, the guitars have 24-fret boards, which required moving the bridge/bridge pickup toward the neck pickup about 3/4" in order to maintain the original 24.75" scale. Since the 24th fret is about where the 22nd fret would normally be, this offers great upper fret access (even if all you're using are the first 22 frets) and it makes the guitar about 3/4" longer from bottom strap button to the top of the headstock.

One of these guitars (the Black one) was under $200 new, including case, because it's a B Stock (finish issues). I blew the $200 budget immediately, however, by having the guitar's frets superglued and PLEK'd. It has stock pickups.

The other guitar (the White one) was $300 including a non-original case and an already-installed Fernandes Sustainer and a DiMarzio Super Distortion.

Both *can* be played as they are (and I've made the Black version one of my go-to bar guitars, and it's more than earned its keep).

If I were to modify the White one, for example, I'd replace the Floyd with an OFR and a Big Brass Upgrade sustain block. I'd have its frets superglued and PLEK'd, I'd replace the Sustainer board with a 401 FSK version (it has the 101), I'd replace the full-size sustainer driver with a single coil size, I'd add a DiMarzio Fast Track II single-coil-size humbucker to the neck pickup ring and I'd replace the bridge pickup with a Suhr Aldrich. I'd switch one of the pots to a Sustainer Intensity pot, I'd add a Chandler Tone-X on a push-pull to another, and I'd swap out the knobs (currently witch-hats) to Speeds or similar. At that point, about the only thing left would be the original tuners (who cares, it's a Floyd) and the wood. But add that whole mess up and you're at three or four times the original value of the guitar. There's no possible way that anyone would pay you for all of that in a resale price, so you've pretty much made that a personal guitar forever.

That's obviously a somewhat extreme example, but more a testament to how a $200 guitar can often NOT be a $200 guitar down the road.
$40 for an 83ish USA Peavey Horizon- II

that was a fun guitar and it was quite unique as far as the wiring goes.

i sold it a few months ago for $430 + shipping.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 4