Pinch harmonics used to be on everything. They were a cool guitar sound. I haven't heard them on a track for years. Were they overused?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
they died with Necrophagist
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

i don't remember them ever being big as part of songs. the only time they ever stood out to me was in a bass solo (Victor Wooten stands out) or instructional video.
Last edited by mattedbird at Jun 30, 2016,
We found out you liked them
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
i had to look up what a pinch harmonoc was.

i actually started doing it (badly) by accident when i was messing around with my guitar years ago.

so the answer is i ruined them.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Last edited by jakesmellspoo at Jun 30, 2016,
It became a death metal thing and hence they turned awesome if gimmicky:

o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
they disappeared with deathcore and now are used only when they're actually appropriate in songs
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I hope they come back. That week in 2004 that I spent learning how to do them would be a total waste otherwise.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

yea, think they got over used for a while. I still like them in certain spots, but not thrown in randomly 10 times a song.
The sexiest pinch harmonic ever rang out... by far... was the main riff in Necrophagist's Seven.

Harmonized* harmonics*, 2 Heads > 1
Last edited by Fat Lard at Jun 30, 2016,
Quote by Blayney
I hope they come back. That week in 2004 that I spent learning how to do them would be a total waste otherwise.

Quote by Fat Lard
The sexiest pinch harmonic ever rang out... by far... was the main riff in Necrophagist's Seven.

Harmonized* harmonics*, 2 Heads > 1

Your lack of a link is the wrong way to ascend the UG popularity rankings.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Severe overuse, it just happens with certain things. Like chorus used to be this massive thing everyone used, now it's barely used.

That said I do them all the time when i'm dicking around, i'll throw it in live for fun, but on a record? Ehhhh, it'd have to be super fitting otherwise it's not even a consideration. I couldn't imagine writing a song seriously with pinch harmonics being a main focal point
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Everyone switched to natural harmonics.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
A trick that became a fad, and then lost it's shine. So last century...
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
They still exist, they just aren't an exciting or ground breaking technique anymore.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
As much as i dont listen to a lot of metal Cemetary Gates is a pretty cool example of pinch harmonics as well as natural.
Even though I like shred metal a little too much, I think sweep picking needs to go away for a while. Its like, everyone is doing it and doing it for no other reason than they can. And it gets boring fast.

I love shred, dont get me wrong, but some shredders need to tone it down a little. And by a little I mean a lot.

Everything in moderation please, especially pinch harmonics...
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!