Aight. So I've played guitar for a little les than a year now, but I'm still choking on sweep picking. Any strategies, advice, etc.?

Thx.

-KF
I guess I should just finally record a video about this topic so I can just post a link to it when people ask about it! But for now I can point you in the right direction. When it comes to your picking hand, you want to make sure you do "progressive palm muting." Look up some of Ben Eller's video on "Why you suck at sweep picking" part 1 and part 2 especially (I think part 2 is called "Why you STILL suck at sweep picking"). I'll also point out that it's important to separate the hands and just work on your sweep picking with your picking hand alone (take your fretting hand OFF the guitar).

When it comes to your fretting hand, you don't want to pull your fingers off the strings too fast because that will increase unwanted string noise. You also want your fingers to lay kind of flat so they naturally mute the strings you just played. So when you move one finger off the high E string to one of the lower strings, you want it to naturally rest on the high E so it mutes it. You must have only one string vibrating at a time. Right when you play the next string, the previous one should be muted (or as close to this as you can get). Also, make sure you work on your fretting hand without picking the strings at all (separate the hands).

And most importantly, go slow enough to where you can actually think about moving the next finger in place, focusing on each individual finger ONE AT A TIME. Eventually you'll get to the point where you can do this at medium speeds. But at fast speeds, everything needs to be locked in because you won't have time to mentally process everything like this. Look up some finger independence exercises for this as well.

Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense. Stick with it!