I thought even twitter was misusing them. They were initially intended for search indexing large volumes of media within web data servers containing wide arrays of topics.

They were then adopted by twitter as a common-content filter....

...and then seemingly were brought into social mainstream as an emoji alternative.

#squadGoals
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
#yes
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
hashtags are #dece
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

#chrismendiolaisagooddriver

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
More like #annoying
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

They were always dumb
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
No they are way past irony they've been hack for at a couple of years.
#mythingthatiwasjusttypingabout

#somesortofslangIthinkisurban
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 1, 2016,
sometimes people use them in an otherwise serious post for levity or something

i think they're used half and half now.

they've also been co-opted by marketing teams a lot more i guess
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Jul 1, 2016,
Some people out there are breaching new limits, pushing a new cutting edge, testing and theorizing, inventing and visualizing things we haven't dreamed of yet. Yet here is chrismendiola 5 years later making a thread "duhhh are hashtags now ironic?"

LOL
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Carnivean
Some people out there are breaching new limits, pushing a new cutting edge, testing and theorizing, inventing and visualizing things we haven't dreamed of yet. Yet here is chrismendiola 5 years later making a thread "duhhh are hashtags now ironic?"

LOL

This thread is a very blatantly intentional shitpost seeing how aside from posing the question to which I already know the answer, seeing how I've only ever used them ironically, I've only posted silly hashtags. Thanks for ruining another exchange because you never miss an opportunity to have the completely wrong idea about what someone is saying.

And lol at you criticizing the intellectual merits of anyone else's posts.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jul 1, 2016,
Quote by chrismendiola
This thread is a very blatantly intentional shitpost seeing how aside from posing the question to which I already know the answer, seeing how I've only ever used them ironically, I've only posted silly hashtags. Thanks for ruining another exchange because you never miss an opportunity to have the completely wrong idea about what someone is saying.

#shook
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by chrismendiola

ahh geez these dogpiles tho!

I use them on Instagram for people to find my photos if they're interested, but a lot of them are really sarcastic.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
They provide context, which can be done ironically or unironically. For the most part the hashtags i see are not ironic.
cat
Quote by genghisgandhi
they've always have been since they serve literally no purpose outside of twitter
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by wafflesyrup
Your mom's a hashtag.

Fucking #GotEm
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I've never used a hashtag outside twitter but people who use them are so funny I literally explode with laughter every time I see them
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
idk. pretty sure vapid morning news show hosts use them entirely unironically.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
John Oliver ironically uses at least 5 of them every show.
Almost all his punchlines are followed by a couple of wacky hashtags
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 2, 2016,
Amen
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
#ironic#sarcasm#hashtagmyemotions#cutmylifeintopizza
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why