Hello everyone,

I'm looking to try to build a stratocaster guitar with some parts that I have. I have a few modifications that I would like to try to do to it, and I need to know if these might take up too much space, or if these are perhaps not all compatible.
1. Kill switch
2. 7 way pickup switch (pretty common, just using an extra switch wired in that gives you the ability to use all 3 pickups at once and neck+bridge simultaneously)
3. An onboard db booster, not sure of which one
4. Mid-booster (like the clapton strat)
5. Any other mods that you guys could recommend that could add a cool effect, a preamp, make it easier to play, or anything like that

It'll already have 3 knobs set up for volume and tone, and the 5 way switch set up. I'm not extremely good at technical work here, but my neighbor is an engineer and an avid guitar player who I'm sure would be willing to help me drill holes and rewire things.

Thanks! When I finish it I'll post pictures of it on here.
' ' "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky' - Michael Scott' - Melania Trump
Quote by codeloud
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to try to build a stratocaster guitar with some parts that I have. I have a few modifications that I would like to try to do to it, and I need to know if these might take up too much space, or if these are perhaps not all compatible.
1. Kill switch
2. 7 way pickup switch (pretty common, just using an extra switch wired in that gives you the ability to use all 3 pickups at once and neck+bridge simultaneously)
3. An onboard db booster, not sure of which one
4. Mid-booster (like the clapton strat)
5. Any other mods that you guys could recommend that could add a cool effect, a preamp, make it easier to play, or anything like that

I have a guitar wired with a "bridge pickup add-in" on a miniswitch. That adds the bridge pickup to the two forward positions on my five-way for a Bridge+Neck choice and an "all pickups on" choice. I'd replace one of the three knobs with a Chandler Tone-X. this is a sweepable mids boost (about 16 dB) on a push-pull. Think "parked wah." I've got a couple installed in guitars, and they're outstanding for cutting through a mix. I have a Buckethead-style kill switch installed on one guitar, but it took up one position normally used for volume/tone (this is on an LP-style guitar). You'll want to make sure you select one that doesn't "pop".
I have done a neck pickup switch, no problem. I have also done switchable active (GFS) tone controls whose input was from the passive controls, ala Blade VST. It worked well, and I had no trouble selling it, but space was a problem. I solved it by having the electronics in the universal pickup rout, with their controls sticking out into the trem spring cavity, where the battery was also housed:

The actives in this case were designed for tone shaping, like the Blade VST, not for adjustment on-the-fly.