Hey everyone -

Yesterday I bought a '73 Fender TRSF. When I play it loudly with fuzz, it seems like the high end is really really harsh, especially on the high E and B strings. I found a sweet spot with the treble being low on the amp itself, but when I turn off the fuzz the clean channel sounds really dull. Could this harshness be related to the tubes having never been changed? Or am I just doing something wrong?

If it could be a tube issue, does anyone have any suggestions on replacement tubes if you done it in the past? Your favorites, where you got them, etc.

All help is wanted!

Thank you!
a couple of things.

what fuzz pedal are you using?

i tend to keep my treble low on my fender/musicman amps, i think a lot of others do as well.

another thing i was thinking of is you pickup height, mainly because you mentioned specific strings.

have you tried any other guitars? does it do the same thing?

what tubes are in there at the moment? any idea how old?

___

also has it been recapped? i have an amp from around then, and the filter caps are starting to go. may be worth checking on, the caps aren't that expensive, and if they go, they can take other components with them. just a thought.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
a couple of things.

what fuzz pedal are you using?

i tend to keep my treble low on my fender/musicman amps, i think a lot of others do as well.

another thing i was thinking of is you pickup height, mainly because you mentioned specific strings.

have you tried any other guitars? does it do the same thing?

what tubes are in there at the moment? any idea how old?

___

also has it been recapped? i have an amp from around then, and the filter caps are starting to go. may be worth checking on, the caps aren't that expensive, and if they go, they can take other components with them. just a thought.

I'm using a Death By Audio Fuzz War. Lots of low end and beef. I haven't tried another guitar which I definitely should, and as far as the guy I bought it from told me it's the original tubes for the '73 SF twin.
Quote by Biedermannn
I'm using a Death By Audio Fuzz War. Lots of low end and beef. I haven't tried another guitar which I definitely should, and as far as the guy I bought it from told me it's the original tubes for the '73 SF twin.

i still had the original preamp tubes in my '68 bassman, and i swapped them out and have them tucked away.

personally i would just retube the whole thing and recap it, as at one point or another something will fail and could take out something more expensive like a transformer (in the topic of the caps).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
personally i would just retube the whole thing and recap it, as at one point or another something will fail and could take out something more expensive like a transformer (in the topic of the caps).

Cool, thanks for the advice. Do you have any suggestions/preferences when it comes to tubes and caps?
Quote by Biedermannn
Cool, thanks for the advice. Do you have any suggestions/preferences when it comes to tubes and caps?

For tubes i am a fan of JJ's in general. cheap and effective. for preamp tubes i would pick up a tung sol or a mullard new production and a sovtek lps and some JJ's. just play around with them. for 6L6's i just buy JJ.

I am not an expert on caps specifically, I had to ask for recommendations a while ago.
for my builds i have always used Sprague atoms. F&Ts were what I was recommended ftom a post on my music man.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!