PEAVEY AT200 Antares powered Auto-tune electric guitar with String Tune, Solid Tune-Intonation, Alternate Tuning and still maintains Vibrato and Bending.

Specs:
+ Amazing automatic tuning via Antares(r) Auto-Tune(tm) for guitar system
+ Sealed diecast tuners, 15-1 gear ratio
+ Master volume with momentary switch to initiate String-tune and Solid-tune™ function
+ Master tone control. Pull up to turn off active system and change to passive pickups
+ 2 Peavey custom designed humbucking pickups
+ Three-way switching selector for both the active Auto-Tune system and passive pickups
+ Dual action torsion rod
+ Full Size MIDI input
+ String thru body for maximum sustain
+ 1/4" and 8 pin DIN connectors. 8 pin DIN connector included for use with optional AT200-B breakout box
+ Battery powered via 4 AA cells. Can also be remotely powered with AT200-B breakout box
+ Upgrade software packages available through Antares via http://guitar.auto-tune.com. Please visit the website for a listing of available software upgrades
+ 25.5" scale
+ Solid Basswood Body
+ Available finishes: Black, Candy Apple Red

Upgrades:
+ Planet Wave Auto-Trim Inline 6 (black) - are direct drop-in upgrade tuner.
+ Graphtech String trees (black) - I trim the second string tree height to equal the original.
+ Jescar EVO gold frets (goldl) - stainless steel is the most durable in hardness scale but it chews up tools, Jescar EVO gold is second only to stainless steel in hardness (no nickle content), better than regular nickel/silver frets.

the guitar works as it should, i keep her in tune but the Antares provides solid intonation, and different pickup/acoustic guitar/bass models.

Pictures:

I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Jul 2, 2016,
Video demo of Peavey AT-200

I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Jul 2, 2016,
Why, exactly, are we seeing all of this? Is this a review, a New Guitar Day, an offer for sale, or something that you think is new and exciting?

I saw these at NAMM four or five years ago (2012, maybe?). The tech has never really taken off in any significant way. It's an attempt to offer a DSP technology similar to the Line 6 Variax guitars, but much less expensive and far less capable. Like the Variax, it uses pitch replacement technology to offer an extremely wide range of tunings without requiring a physical retuning of the guitar, but it's been largely a non-starter. The guitars are available on the used market in the neighborhood of $300-350. Amazon has new red one offered at $449, a single unit from a single vendor.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 2, 2016,
Not really, my intent is like online record for myself.. the original variax was expensive and quite honestly not good at all.. Peavey could have used better guitar for the technology.. the piezo system which Antares used is not the best they could have thought of, but at less than the price of original variax.. I think it is good buy.. from my research, the hardtail bridge is not upgradeable.. drop in replacement for tuner is Planetwaves Auto-trim Locking tuner, my idea is the Graphtech String trees.. Jescar EVO gold medium frets was another upgrade I wanted.
Quote by psp742
Not really, my intent is like online record for myself.. the original variax was expensive and quite honestly not good at all.. Peavey could have used better guitar for the technology.. the piezo system which Antares used is not the best they could have thought of, but at less than the price of original variax.. I think it is good buy.. from my research, the hardtail bridge is not upgradeable.. drop in replacement for tuner is Planetwaves Auto-trim Locking tuner, my idea is the Graphtech String trees.. Jescar EVO gold medium frets was another upgrade I wanted.

The "original" Variax from 2004 (I have an Electric 500) was jokingly referred to as $1500 worth of electronics in a $300 guitar. Quite honestly, however, it's still better than the Antares, at least in terms of the electronics. The guitar I have isn't great, but it isn't bad, either. I originally bought it as a "donor" with the electronics to be transplanted either into another guitar that I liked better or into a Vaxrax (a rack-mounted version of the Variax that requires a 13-pin connector and a MIDI-style bridge (piezos, other) that has pickups for each individual string. If I were considering, however, buying that same used Variax at its current value (about $350) vs. the Antares, I'd definitely end up with the Variax. Other Variaxes from that time period have done better; the 705 Bass is actually sought-after (by me, for one) and a bit pricey. And I have an Acoustic 700 that's superb (you'll find Edge using a pair of them in U2). It's a thinline acoustic lookalike that's actually a solid mahogany bodied guitar. The models have been very good, but I recently tried some IRs recommended by Pete Thorn for the Helix that are spectacular.

Line 6 has since produced some *very* good guitars, thanks to Jim Tyler. I very nearly went for the JTV59, but I was holding out for a promised Floyd Rose-equipped version. In the new series, Line 6 upgraded the piezos (the LRBaggs currently used are far better than those on my 500) and the models. When the version with the Floyd finally arrived, however, I was angry that it did so on the *least* popular of the Variax line; the "shredder/metal" JTV-89F. Upon closer inspection, however, I now believe the combination is probably the best of the line for what I do. Jumbo frets, wide/thin neck profile with a 16" radius, 24 frets, excellent mag pickups, solid mahogany body, matte-finished neck, excellent LB63 Graphtech bridge (a Schaller-alike OFR with their Ghost pickups), a five-way and a quad of controls.

In terms of your "upgrades," neither the tuners nor the string trees would be of interest to me (locking nut, after all), and I much prefer jumbos to medium frets. The EVO material is fine, but stainless costs about the same and, these days, most techs have tools that deal with stainless just fine. It was only in the early days of stainless frets that techs grumbled about their tools being dulled. Most guitars are available from non-big-2 manufacturers with either the EVOs or stainless at a slight upcharge ($35-40), though I'd probably never refret a guitar just to get to either fret material if the old frets weren't worn out.

The Antares package on the Peavey required about $200 worth of software upgrades to get to the models and the alternate tunings, as I recall. Is that still the case? And the models are light years behind those from Variax.
thanks for sharing information on the Variax, i think it is cool idea.. If Antares used better piezo it could have been better. I asked my luthier before i bought the frets. according to him for the guitar, it would be better to keep within same fret size, original were slightly lower (either worn or not great polish and crown job). another reason was stainless steel fret job cost more.. EVO gold was $225 with polish string and setup. I like the gold tint contrasting with the black guitar..

dspellman, were you able to transplant the variax innards to another guitar? what did you choose and do you prefer stainless steel or EVO gold or regular nickel silver frets? thanks

Happy 4th of July to you..

Ric,
Quote by psp742
thanks for sharing information on the Variax, i think it is cool idea.. If Antares used better piezo it could have been better. I asked my luthier before i bought the frets. according to him for the guitar, it would be better to keep within same fret size, original were slightly lower (either worn or not great polish and crown job). another reason was stainless steel fret job cost more.. EVO gold was $225 with polish string and setup. I like the gold tint contrasting with the black guitar..

dspellman, were you able to transplant the variax innards to another guitar? what did you choose and do you prefer stainless steel or EVO gold or regular nickel silver frets? thanks

Happy 4th to you as well! The EVOs certainly look pretty, but I think the tech I take my guitars to charges the same price for stainless or EVO. He's got a PLEK machine as well, and apparently the PLEK doesn't care one way or the other either. I have a few stainless fret guitars; most are the usual. No EVOs.

I never did transplant mine. There were templates (still are) to help with routing the back of the guitar for the Variax bits.

I was actually trying to talk Jeff Miller into building me a guitar for that at one point.

This is one that I really fell in love with that he seemed to easily knock off (and remember he's a player, not a luthier). Some progress photos and a YouTube showing some of the standard sounds he got from the thing. When he built this, there were no Variax guitars that also had a set of magnetic pickups, and Jeff's got BareKnuckles in this one that I believe he compares to the Variax modeling in a couple of instances.

Last edited by dspellman at Jul 2, 2016,
drooollll... Wow that is a beautiful guitar... Hmmm, the body shape reminds me of my Wing series T-bird (it's a 80's player with upgraded brass nut and Jescar EVO gold frets - sustain for days)..

i'm not even going to ask how much it cost you, i know i can't afford it and with my playing skill level.. could never justify it.. if i remember it correctly..

For re-freting (dressing setup strings included) stainless steel frets he charges $300 and EVO gold frets he charges $225. I think its fair price.. I have not gone to other luthier so i can't compare service charge.