alright. its just past 6am and i am an insomniac as always and haven't slept, and need pickup ideas.

ibanez prestige - gravity storms or evos? maybe the gravity storm in the neck and a evo in the bridge (not going to get a SC for that guitar)?

gibson LP - it has a 500t in the bridge, and i want a humbucker sized P90 for the neck. think blues rock, nasty but still cleans up well. i have no experience with P90's really, i am thinking railhammer. the have a few P90's and railhammer is somewhat popular on here. i REALLY DON'T want to spend over $100 on one. the bridge pickup is fine.

Fender strat - 57/62's or lace sensor gold? this would be for blues, likely through a mildly over driven amp, 5f1, bassman, music man hd130, etc.

i am open to ideas, i don't have any overly specific tastes, i like having a broad range of guitars/rigs. i am looking for opinions.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'd look at the whole Lace Sensor line before just getting the usual golds. they have some cool pickups that retain the positives of single coils and give you more options than the standard 50s type fender tone. seems like something with a little more balls would be better for bluesy type stuff.
monwobobbo

What would you recommend for lace?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Cathbard

noted! thanks cath.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
HB-sized p90s: Vintage Vibe, RailHammer, The Creamery, Lollar, Bareknuckle, TV Jones. Honorable mention to Rio Grande, who makes a splittable HB out of a pair of their singlecoil-sized p90s. The RailHammer is the cheapest of the bunch, but doesn't disappoint. It is possible that with the Brexit devaluation, the ones from The Creamery and Bareknuckle might be a steal right now.

For the Fender: Lace is hard to beat as a default upgrade option for Fender singlecoils, IMHO. Besides the Sensors, the Alumitones are a good option for getting something ultra clean and utterly hum free. I would also recommend checking pickups from Vintage Vibe and Rio Grande. If you want a singlecoil with more balls, though, the Rio Grande Dirty Harry would be a solid option- that's their P90 in singlecoil size. Honorable mention goes to the Tesla OPUS singlecoils, which have a lovely tone.

No rec for the Ibanez, because I don't know the pickups you're contemplating, so I'm clueless as to the sound you're aiming for.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 3, 2016,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
monwobobbo

What would you recommend for lace?

ok my strat plus has a blue in the bridge and silvers in neck and middle so those are the ones I have the most experience with. I have played a bunch of guitars with the golds and a couple with gold +s. they have some other newer ones I haven tried but some of those are what I'm leaning toward for my other strat. emerald rainbow pack is what I'm seriously thinking about as that seems to be ideal for down and dirty blues rock type stuff. I wish they did 3-packs for the other colors as I'm also considering going all silver as those have more balls than the golds but still sound like a strat (they mimic 70s strats).

look them over and I'm pretty sure they have sound clips.
For humbucker sized P90's go straight to the source. I put a Gibson P-94 in the neck of one of my builds (a Warmoth SG) I had a DiMarzio Fred in the bridge was a great sounding guitar.

My Ibanez has PAF Joe neck and mo Jo bridge. they sound great but with the 24 fret neck they combined sounds are weak. I think they were voiced for 22 fret guitars.

I am curious about what others are advising on the single coils for the strat. I have some Di Marzio Brian May's in a guitar they are great but out of production. My strat with stock pickups sounds weak next to that guitar so I am curious myself. in what others have to say.
Quote by Zhaezzy

I am curious about what others are advising on the single coils for the strat. I have some Di Marzio Brian May's in a guitar they are great but out of production. My strat with stock pickups sounds weak next to that guitar so I am curious myself. in what others have to say.

In a similar vein, there are the Burns Tri-Sonics: the original pickups May used in the Red Special.

Another option: Vintage Vibe singlecoil-sized Charlie Christians. Tonally, somewhere between standard singlecoils and P90s.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

A buddy of mine replaced the stock SD JBs in his Charvel San Dimas with Bare Knuckle Nailbombs, and the difference was like night and day. Now his San Dimas blows away his Charvel So Cal which is equipped with SD Distortions. When I get back to rebuilding my Jackson Dinky, I was considering putting a Distortion in the bridge, but now, I think I'm going to get a Nailbomb instead.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
alright!

danny - thanks for the list. one question, is it worth the frustration to get something custom? i can get a railhammer, P90 for $100 shipped from MF. add to that one of thier 15% discounts, then it is a $85 pickup that i can just order, get three days later, and throw it in. no lead time, and its cheaper. i do really like the railhammer options. unfortunately i haven't been able to try any. what do you think?

monwobobbo - as far as lace goes i will do some more looking around. i will be checking out some clips. i didn't know you had a strat plus. i have a 1997 tele plus (series two) and i love the guitar. it also has lace pickups, like the strat plus and that was part of the reason i was thinking going lace again. cool!

zz - i am more looking for a more 'vai-eque' tone over the satch tone (not that i don't like satch, he is awesome), but i haven't tried either of those dimazios.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
ohhh. and i did blow my pickup fund for an amp. like i haven't done that a handfull of times before, but it was well worth it.

look for the NAD in the next few minutes. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
danny - thanks for the list. one question, is it worth the frustration to get something custom? i can get a railhammer, P90 for $100 shipped from MF. add to that one of thier 15% discounts, then it is a $85 pickup that i can just order, get three days later, and throw it in. no lead time, and its cheaper. i do really like the railhammer options. unfortunately i haven't been able to try any. what do you think?

I love, love, love the RailHammer Chisels in my Reverend Sensei RA. I am strongly considering other RailHammers for other guitars. My Alumitones are awesome in my JKG hollowbody. I have BKPs, Rio Grandes, TV Jones and other quality production pickups on my G.A.S. list for certain guitars,

In comparison, I own 4 custom pickups- 2 each from Vintage Vibe and The Creamery- purchased to go in Teleclones made by luthiers. The VVs are a Tele neck and a Charlie Christian sized for a Telecaster bridge. The Creamery pickups are a HB and HB-sized P90, both pretty hot...but stunningly clean. Each pair is among the best I've ever personally tried.

I don't have the money to swap out all of my pickups for customs, not do I think it would be a good idea. Sometimes, all you need is a pickup that is already commercially available. Not every great tone comes from a $200 custom wound.

But for something special or unusual? By all means, consider it. Charlie Christians are pretty unusual, and not many of them will fit in a Telecaster bridge. Cathbard had a 7 string he wanted to put a P90 into, and found none. Vintage Vibe made us both very happy.

thanks danny!

as far as lace for buckers, have you tried the hammer claws or nitro hemis?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
That Vintage Vibe HB sized P90 was so good that I ordered another one for the neck. It's a really nice thing. Comes with two magnets of choice that you can change easily enough yourself. I got Alnico V in it ATM and it's so good that I haven't bothered to try the ceramic one yet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thanks danny!

as far as lace for buckers, have you tried the hammer claws or nitro hemis?

Haven't even seen them in person, yet, I like what I've heard online so far, though.