Page 4 of 6
Honestly, if Stained Class isn't treated as metal, then you'd have to treat most NWOBHM bands as not metal either.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Defenders of the Faith started including ideas that would later be aped by so many power metal bands.

Sin after Sin could be put into proto instead of Stained Class
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by Kytokinesis
Some of you really need to listen to Painkiller though.
Uh. Bitch that was one of the first metal albums I ever bought.

Hero of the night
Blood and thunder
Rushing through me
Till the dawn of light
THE SKY IS TURNING RED
LIGHTNING IN THE DAAAARK

I'm not too familiar with Defenders of the Faith, though. That one I should give a good listen some time before judging it the way I was.
Sin After Sin is caught in a place of having some good ass heavy metal but too many rock ballads. It's an unfortunate case. You can leave it out. Although I personally think it's good.
I just thought of an over the top complicated name for that third sound of Melodic Death Metal.

Second (New?) Wave of Gothenberg Melodic Death Metal

Stupid, but it can reference the sound and throws everyone into that grouping. I mean it sounds better than Pop-Melodic Death Meteal or completely misnamed "Metalcore."

Thoughts?
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Honestly, I feel like that whole sound is useless to this thread because of how out of place it is to the rest of metal. It borrows so heavily from hard rock and hardcore(in some cases even pop and electronic) that it's just so far removed from metal that it doesn't even sound like it. Everyone who has gotten into metal after 2003 knows of the style and all the big bands in it as well so recommendations for it on a forum are kind of pointless.
Quote by DamienEx1021
(New?) Wave of Gothenberg Melodic Death Metal

That would be misleading because it implies that the music is death metal.

As far as including Soilwork and that ilk or not, I agree with Morphogenesis.

I have an idea of some releases that I would recommend to a forum poster looking specifically for music like The Black Dahlia Murder, Darkest Hour, or something else in that "melodeath / metalcore" spectrum. However, I would rather not include that spectrum in these lists because it's confusing (I don't understand its essence and influences) and because it's too far from "true metal" in spirit.
Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Sep 13, 2016,
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
That would be misleading because it implies that the music is death metal.

As far as including Soilwork and that ilk or not, I agree with Morphogenesis.

I have an idea of some releases that I would recommend to a forum poster looking specifically for music like The Black Dahlia Murder, Darkest Hour, or something else in that "melodeath / metalcore" spectrum. However, I would rather not include that spectrum in these lists because it's confusing (I don't understand its essence and influences) and because it's too far from "true metal" in spirit.

Interesting enough, I poked over to the Metal Archives and I noticed that they tend to call newer Soilwork "Melodic Grove Metal." I don't know if there is anything "grove metal" about the band (I am not at all familiar with the style) but figured I would share it here to see if anyone could add any insight into it.

I mean even MA called Darkest Hour melodic death metal and I know how over the top those guys can be about what bands they let on their list or not. The Black Dahlia Murder is also found in that listing.

For the record, I understand why these bands wouldn't be put on the list and it makes sense. They are already relatively well known so a lot of work doesn't need to go into sharing them. At this point, I am just trying to understand the sound, categorization, and the whys of the labeling of these bands. I have always had trouble describing the style of many of these acts and always lumped them into some form of Melodic Death Metal. After going through a lot of this discussion I can go back and hear some of the things you guys are talking about with regards to it not being heavily influenced by death metal. So the end goal is then to understand it musically for what it is so I can have a proper discussion about the music itself.

I think some of the trouble I am having is that I went from a lot of "metalcore" bands to melodeath and then got into death metal. So I am comfortable with the sound that I understand is melodeath, but then being challenged by people who know far more about death metal than I do and telling me that I am only sorta right about what I know as melodeath. For the most part many bands I do listen to do fit into the gothenburg sound and after discussing this, I can really hear the difference between the melody filled death metal, the gothenburg melodic death sound, and this third difficult to name genre.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

melodeath is like the furthest extreme you can take heavy/speed metal and it maintains the riffing architecture and song format of heavy metal

edit furthest extreme of power metal is probably more accurate

soilwork has more in common with nu metal and hard rock

Last edited by Kytokinesis at Sep 13, 2016,
Quote by DamienEx1021
I think some of the trouble I am having is that I went from a lot of "metalcore" bands to melodeath and then got into death metal.

Ah, to be young again.

Not gonna lie, Darkest Hour has always felt like a metalcore band to me. After a cursory listen to the first two albums it sounds like they still had a fair bit of punk and hard rock influences. It'd also be worth noting that not that long ago Metal Archives started going through a lot of the bands whom had the melodic death metal tag and begun renaming it to melodic groove metal. I think Zodi put that forward and I agree with it. The majority of stuff like Soilwork, Universum, Scar Symmetry, Deadlock, blahblahblah all fit more into that little "genre".
^ Interesting about the genre change. I agree that "melodic groove metal" is better than "melodic death metal," though methinks it's still not ideal.

Quote by DamienEx1021
---Metal-Archives genre classifications---

I suggest not using Metal-Archives as a final verdict type of authority

I have always had trouble describing the style of many of these acts and always lumped them into some form of Melodic Death Metal.

It's tough for me too.

After going through a lot of this discussion I can go back and hear some of the things you guys are talking about with regards to it not being heavily influenced by death metal. So the end goal is then to understand it musically for what it is so I can have a proper discussion about the music itself.

That's a good goal.

I think some of the trouble I am having is that I went from a lot of "metalcore" bands to melodeath and then got into death metal. So I am comfortable with the sound that I understand is melodeath, but then being challenged by people who know far more about death metal than I do and telling me that I am only sorta right about what I know as melodeath. For the most part many bands I do listen to do fit into the gothenburg sound and after discussing this, I can really hear the difference between the melody filled death metal, the gothenburg melodic death sound, and this third difficult to name genre.

I am glad that you are hearing some differences. Melodeath is just a label, and it's not a very good one, so don't focus too much on the word itself.

To give you a little context, I heard The Jester Race and Slaughter of The Soul fairly early in my metal timeline: less than a year in, I think (2007 - I'm relatively young). In Flames was my favorite band for a good while. When I was younger, I was definitely not on the side of the argument that I am now. My understanding eventually began to change as my interest in and exposure to more old school and underground death metal increased and I read some arguments on the classification issue.

FYI, I do not relish discussing this topic, nor do I want to rewrite the history and evolution of these genres and subgenres. I am only trying to correct what I perceive - based on my meager knowledge - to be a misunderstanding. I am willing to risk coming across as a pedant and an elitist in order to do that. Ideally, music categorization is useful and elucidating. A confusing and misleading system is a poor one. Not every album fits well into categorization systems, either, and that's okay.
Quote by Kytokinesis
melodeath is like the furthest extreme you can take heavy/speed metal and it maintains the riffing architecture and song format of heavy metal

Kyto, how much influence do you reckon power metal had on melodeath? Enough that I ought to mention it in the list description?
Not to interject, but I think there were a few interviews with Mikael from Dark Tranquillity mentioning speed/heavy metal, and mentioning Helloween in particular. From what I gather there's a lot of death metal influence from At the Gates, and then some power metal nods too.
Cheers severed. Now that you mention it, I myself should do some research by reading interviews...

edit: Um, LOL:

Quote by Interview with Mikael Stanne, June 2004

Q: There are a lot of American bands that are taking elements of the Gothenburg sound and mixing it with hardcore. What do you think of these bands when you hear how they have taken and twisted the sound together?

A: I really enjoy it actually! I did an interview with an American magazine a couple of years ago and he asked the same thing and I was like, "What?! Really?! I thought that was a really weird idea and I couldn't even picture myself listening to it, but I think it really works. Some of the stuff that I've heard is amazing! I mean, why not? It's a great compliment that bands are influenced by our kind of music, so I think it's all good.

Q: My last question concerns what bands or CDs you're listening to right now. Is there anything special or outstanding that you've heard recently?

A: I actually have been listening to the new Slipknot a lot over the last week!

source
So my understanding is that Death Metal is basically pure, unadulterated Thrash Metal. Is that a good description?

Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
^ Interesting about the genre change. I agree that "melodic groove metal" is better than "melodic death metal," though methinks it's still not ideal.

FYI, I do not relish discussing this topic, nor do I want to rewrite the history and evolution of these genres and subgenres. I am only trying to correct what I perceive - based on my meager knowledge - to be a misunderstanding. I am willing to risk coming across as a pedant and an elitist in order to do that. Ideally, music categorization is useful and elucidating. A confusing and misleading system is a poor one. Not every album fits well into categorization systems, either, and that's okay.

You kidding? I love discussing these topics! I work as a professional chemist and my day is largely spent categorizing compounds and getting things put into the right categories. It gets even more fun when I have to take a generic molecule, and figure out which sub-molecule I am working with. From there I can get even more detailed, but at that point it becomes more speculation (although not baseless speculation) and my experience gets to interpret whats going on. The difference between this thread and work is that work pays me, but I can listen and try to categorize different metal bands for the rest of forever and I will never run out.

And you have come off as quite accommodating and understanding when discussing this with me. I think it helps that I have an open mind and am not ingrained in any one set truth. Where others will see elitism, I see someone else who is just trying to get the best classification they possibly can and describe the music for what it really is.

To go back to another bit though, I am not hearing the Nu-metal sound in Soilwork with the exception of the 'Figure number Five' album. Most of their later work seems to be a blend of gothenburg melodeath and of the metalcore sound, mostly the metalcore though. The riffing seems to mirror that of some other melodeath bands while the song structure and rhythm elements reflect those of metalcore. Actually, listening to Soliworks 'The Living Infinite' reminded me a lot of Unearth. So I feel comfortable lumping Unearth, Darkest Hour, and Soilwork into the same umbrella genre, but I don't really feel like Nu-metal accurately describes the sound there. I guess technically it would be Nu-metal in the pure definition of the work, it isn't typical metal, but as far as the sound associated with nu-metal, I feel that would be inaccurate.

This is so much fun. I haven't had this good of a time listening to old music in ages.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by Kytokinesis

I can definitally hear the power metal sound in bands like Kalmah, especially on the 'Seventh Swamphony' album, and Mors Principium Est on ".... And Death Said Live."

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by DamienEx1021
So my understanding is that Death Metal is basically pure, unadulterated Thrash Metal. Is that a good description? .

No. Pure, unadulterated thrash metal is just pure, unadulterated thrash metal. Death metal is distinct from thrash in its riffing and vocal styles, as well as its songwriting in many cases. Compare something like Devoured Death by Incantation to Radiation Sickness by Nuclear Assault and you'll see a difference.
Morphogenesis26

Perfect. I don't remember where I had heard that thrash to death bit but it was bugging me and figured I would get it cleared up.

Edit: On a side note, totally rocking out to Dark Tranquility - Therein right now. Song gives me the chills.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Last edited by DamienEx1021 at Sep 14, 2016,
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Bless his heart.

Quote by severed-metal
Mikael Stanne is banned from UG.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Quote by DamienEx1021
So my understanding is that Death Metal is basically pure, unadulterated Thrash Metal. Is that a good description?

I was not alive during the 1980s, but this is the evolution (in brief) to the best of my understanding: Early in that decade, bands began to combine heavy metal and hardcore punk. Metallica's first album is an early, prominent, and highly influential example of this fusion.* Many people refer interchangeably to the movement that followed as speed metal and thrash metal. Others make the following delineation: thrash metal bands were those that brought the hardcore to the fore, like Cryptic Slaughter and D.R.I., whereas speed metal bands were those that were predominantly heavy metal, like Slayer and Kreator. Of course, some bands don't clearly belong in one group over the other, but based on that separation, think of death metal as speed metal taken to the next level of extremity. Speed metal bands pushed the envelopes of brutality and high speed, unhinged their song structures more and more, became increasingly morbid, and made other developments to and beyond a point of departure from speed metal and into a new realm. The boundary between speed metal and death metal is blurry, which is why there is a "death/thrash" category of bands.

*I don't mean to imply that Metallica were the prime movers, but they were important.

If you want to read more about the definition, creation, and evolution of metal, check out The Heavy Metal F.A.Q..

You kidding? I love discussing these topics! I work as a professional chemist and my day is largely spent categorizing compounds and getting things put into the right categories.

Wow! I did not expect such a strong connection between this discussion and your job.

And you have come off as quite accommodating and understanding when discussing this with me.

I'm glad to hear that, so thanks for letting me know.

---Soilwork, Unearth, Darkest Hour---

I have not listened to Soilwork very much. I used to be a big fan of Unearth, though, specifically The Oncoming Storm and The March. Those albums seem like a mix of hardcore (or metalcore or something), speed metal, and melodeath. I have no problem calling those albums metalcore overall, but maybe you would disagree?

This is so much fun. I haven't had this good of a time listening to old music in ages.

Well, that's good to hear Some people really shun this kind of obsessive behavior, and I always worry that I have crossed into nitpicking and revisionism. I would never deny that enjoying the music should come first.
Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Sep 14, 2016,
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
Kyto, how much influence do you reckon power metal had on melodeath? Enough that I ought to mention it in the list description?

I have no idea honestly. Just listening to Jester Race or Skydancer I would personally say quite a lot. But I don't know which particular bands or albums had the greatest influence. It would be interesting to find out. I'll do some research.

Hey Morph, how are the death metal lists going?

and I'll try and get some time to work on this thing this week. Having school + work doesn't help much! I will submit an updated proto metal list later tonight likely.

---------------------------------------

We do have a slight conundrum that I hope a few of you will chime in with. Motorhead. Lemmy has stated many times that Motorhead are not heavy metal, they're a rock and roll band. He was a smart guy who probably understood what he was doing at a fundamental level, something that I even can agree with and have zero issue with.

(i) Motorhead are staying where they are (in both proto metal and heavy metal)

(ii)If we agree with Lemmy on this (which I do hear a lot of rock over metal in his music), then we can just move Motorhead to proto metal solely.

As far as I'm concerned, Motorhead are one of the most important bands that has existed, at least for metal. To me they're the most important band. It's impossible to be where metal is at without Motorhead. So please pick (i) or (ii) or offer another solution.
I consider Motorhead to be 100% pure Heavy Metal, but I do understand moving them to proto metal in the same way I understand moving Sad Wings of Destiny to Proto Metal. So I feel to avoid confusion it might be better to move them to Proto Metal.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Sep 14, 2016,
Quote by severed-metal
Hey Morph, how are the death metal lists going?

Here's what I've got so far. Tried to keep a lot of the albums top quality, and the Death/Doom list has a lot of stuff that wasn't in the original because I felt like it barely had anything.

Death Metal

Essentials:
Autopsy - Severed Survival
Bolt Thrower – Realms Of Chaos ~ War Master
Death – Leprosy
Deicide – Deicide ~ Legion
Dismember – Like An Everflowing Stream
Entombed – Left hand Path
Immolation – Close To A World Below
Incantation – Onward To Golgotha ~ Mortal Throne Of Nazarene
Massacra - Enjoy the Violence ~ The Final Holocaust
Morbid Angel – Altars Of Madness ~ Blessed Are The Sick
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten ~ Pierced From Within

Further Listening:
Adramalech - Psychostasia ~ Pure Blood Doom
Bolt Thrower – The IVth Crusade
Brutality – Screams Of Anguish ~ When The Sky Turns Black
Carnage – Dark Recollections
Cryptopsy – Blasphemy Made Flesh ~ None So Vile
Darkthrone – A Soulside Journey
Death - Scream Bloody Gore ~ Human ~ Individual Thought Patterns
Demigod – Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Demilich – Nespithe
Gorguts – Erosion of Sanity ~ Obscura
Hypocrisy – Penetralia ~ Osculum Obscenum
Immolation – Dawn Of Possession ~ Here In after
Infester – To The Depths Of Degradation
Malevolent Creation – The Ten Commandments ~ Retribution
Master – Master ~ On the Seventh Day
Molested – Blod-Draum
Morpheus Descends – Ritual Of Infinity
Nocturnus – The Key
Obituary – Slowly We Rot ~ Cause Of Death
Pestilence – Malleus Maleficarum ~ Consuming Impulse
Possessed – Seven Churches
Purtenance – Member of Immortal damnation

Death/Doom

Essentials:
Autopsy – Mental Funeral
dISEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence Into the Peripheral
Winter - Into Darkness
Asphyx - The Rack ~ Last One On Earth
Cenotaph – The Gloomy Reflections Of Our Hidden Sorrows
Cianide – The Dying Truth ~ Descent Into Hell

Further Listening:
Cathedral - Forest Of Equilibrium
Ceremonium - Into The Autumn Shade
Coffins - Mortuary in Darkness ~ The Other Side Of Blasphemy
Crimson Relic – Purgatory’s Reign
Dark Millennium – Ashore The Celestial Burden
Deteriorot – In Ancient Beliefs
Divine Eve - As The Angels Wept
Fleshcrawl – Descend Into The Absurd
Goatlord - Reflections of the Solstice
Mystic Charm – Shadows of The Unknown
Paradise Lost - Lost Paradise ~ Gothic
Ras Algethi – Oneiricon
Rippikoulu – Musta Seremonia
Sempiternal Deathreign – The Spooky Gloom

Hey playingwithfire that theory on speed/thrash is basically confined to the ANUS website and they define it that way because they have a problem with the terminology. Ill lay out my opinion, which is generally more accepted

Speed metal is basically the trad/NWOBHM sound played with an emphasis on speed.

Thrash metal is mixing trad/speed with hardcore punk influences.

Thrashcore was an extreme form of hardcore born in the early 80s. If i remember correctly, ANUSites overstated its importance in relation to metal, which I think is mainly because DRI started out thrashcore and evolved into crossover.

Bands like Slayer and Kreator are thrash without a doubt. Speed metal would be stuff like Acid and Savage Grace. You're right that it can get very confusing differentiating between speed and thrash and its often a pointless distinction to make
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

MHDrunk - Re: Thrash Metal

Thank you for the explanation! Your system makes sense to me. So you would say that Razor - Evil Invaders and the first Slayer album are examples of speed metal, whereas Violent Restitution and Hell Awaits are thrash metal?

I am not sure what the difference between thrashcore and crossover would sound like. Do you mind providing an example of each? [You don't have to, because you did give the example of D.R.I.'s evolution.]
Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Sep 15, 2016,
Yeah truthfully I'm pretty clueless on thrash and any help is appreciated. I recognise style changes in German (EU) and US thrash metal, that's about it.

------------------------------------------

As for death/doom, it's looking pretty good. If you need a few more names check these out:

Mourning Beloveth - Dust
Hooded Menace - Fulfill the Curse
Mythic

Otherwise, I'll take a look when I can today.
Morphogenesis, good work on the lists I will propose a few changes, first to the death metal list:

Additions:
  • Atheist perhaps deserves inclusion. However, I am not the one to make that decision because I have only heard Unquestionable Presence (a handful of times at that).
  • I would add Atrocity - Todessehnsucht under further listening. It's an album that one can spend time contemplating due to the sage lyrics and the way the album and songs are structured. Also, it conveys a "going crazy" feeling that I don't think I've heard elsewhere.
Deletions: None of the artists urgently requires removal, but if shortening the list is desired, I would recommend removing Brutality, Hypocrisy, Malevolent Creation, Nocturnus, and Purtenance. Maybe Adramelech and Master as well. I think that I just targeted some of your personal favorites, so don't be angry with me haha.

Promotions:
  • Demigod and Infester are essential (as in top tier) in my opinion. If you put them under further listening because they are not beginner material, then that's probably okay, but they are obviously superior to some of the other further listening bands.
  • Demilich and Gorguts are perhaps essential, but those are tougher nuts to crack so they might be better kept in further listening where they are now.
  • Immolation - I would probably switch the albums that you listed under further listening with Close to a World Below
Demotions:
  • Death - I would remove them from essentials and list only SBG and Leprosy (or one of those and Human) under further listening. I understand that they were influential, but their one song structure is so annoying! Their songs feel factory-made and don't aspire to much.
  • Entombed - I don't like Left Hand Path, so personally I would remove it altogether, but you folks can decide whether it is essential or what.
  • Suffocation - They are maybe not essential, but I don't feel strongly either way.
Other:
  • I would switch the album order for both Massacra and Cryptopsy.
  • I am ignorant about Bolt Thrower so I do not know which albums, if any, are essential.
Regarding death/doom: I would not recommend adding albums for the sake of adding albums. We don't need to be exhaustive with these lists because there will be a recommendations thread. I think that the further listening section looks a bit bloated now. The essentials list is good though. I think that Into the Autumn Shade is good enough to be essential as well, but maybe that's just me.

I hope that I did not come across as overly critical.
Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Sep 15, 2016,
A few thoughts:

-Atheist deserve a spotin Essential. My recommendation is Pizza Time of course, UP and Elements are more abstract.

-Nocturnus, and Master likely won't be deleted, the others mentioned I'm apathetic to so if need be they can be removed. I think space is ok for the time being but we'll see by the end of editing.

-Infester warrant Essential spot, Demigod I'm leaning towards Essential too.

-I agree with Death. As much as I enjoy Death, their albums don't have the staying power expected out of such a highly influential band.

-Demilich/Gorguts are oddballs because there's little like them. In that regard, they are anomalies (assuming Demilich - Nespite/Gorguts - Obscura) and too out there for what they are. I figure as long as we mention them in further listening, there's a strong basis for someone who has listened to the bands in Essentials to make the transition to Demilich and/or Gorguts.
My 2 cents:

-Death shouldn't be in essentials.
-I wouldn't put Left Hand Path in there either, but that's just because I never liked it either ( I feel the same way about Massacra, honestly).
-Infester deserve and essential spot.
-Gorguts and Demilich both deserve essential spots IMO.
It's all about finding the time for me... I might be able to throw together something on thrash at some point

I definitely think both Slayer & Razor are thrash, the early stuff of both bands that you mentioned probably has more speed in it than the later albums you mentioned. Overall I don't think 'speed metal' is a very useful descriptor because between power & thrash metal you can cover pretty much all bands that are usually called speed metal

i think Incantation - Diabolical Conquest should be put in further listening. Suffocation absolutely deserve their spot in essential. And Rottrevore - Iniquitous could go in further listening

Essentials:

Deep Purple - Deep Purple (1969) ~ Machine Head (1972)
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (1970)
Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdom Come (1970)
Uriah Heep - ...Very 'Eavy ...Very 'Umble (1970) ~ Demons and Wizards (1972)
Wishbone Ash - Argus (1972)
Thin Lizzy - Fighting (1975) ~ Jailbreak (1976) ~ Black Rose: A Rock Legend (1979)
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny (1976)
Motörhead - Motörhead (1977)

Further Listening:

Blue Cheer - Blue Cheer (1969) ~ The Original Human Being (1970)
Lucifer's Friend - Lucifer`s Friend (1970)
Red Dirt - Red Dirt (1970)
Dust - Hard Attack (1972)
CWT - The Hundredweight (1973)
Pinnacle - Assassin (1974)
Slowbone - Tales of a Crooked Man (1992) (Recorded 1972-1994)
The Wicked Lady - The Axeman Cometh (1993) (Recorded 1969-1972)
Iron Claw - Iron Claw (2009) (Recorded 1970-1974)

^Feel free to correct where you see fit^

Figured I'd get some input before I go ahead, there are a few bands that were considered proto-metal but I think influenced other scenes and are more relevant to those genres (or I know little about the others!). Are any of these bands proto-metal to you guys?

-Led Zeppelin (I know little about them)
-MC5
-UFO
-Elf

I mean, honestly there are so few bands on here anyways it wouldn't matter too much if we added any, or all, of these four. This is basically all there is to proto-metal, after that I'd be telling people to enjoy other rock or psych or blues rock. I still have yet to write a description, but I'll do that later.