I know this is a FAQ but my first gig ever its coming out in 3 days. We practiced a lot and I noticed that when we are practicing I would be sitting down but the show its not going to be a soft calming show, acoustic or something like that we are a cover band and we will be playing many Metallica song and no one would be sitting ofc. So I am asking you people what height do you prefer both look and feels. I tried adjusting my strap so the guitar are on my torso this give me very very comfortable while i'm playing but personally it looks like a nerd IMO. BUT i'm sure that most of you guys would be saying "comfort > looks" Soooo i'm asking you guys opinions. Thanks!
Play how its comfortable, no point looking what you think is good if you play terribly, Should definitely make an effort to practice stood up in the future I would recommend.
I wear my strap like a pussy nerd. Fairly high and with the guitar at a 45 degree angle. The whole thing where you wear it below your groin is great if you're doing a video, but your fretting hand will develop all kinds of wrist pain/repetitive stress/arthritis over time if you do that on a regular basis. Not only that, but I can't play worth a damn in that position (there are folks who can, mind you -- I'm just not one of them). You'll see a lot of people playing some rhythm stuff with the guitar slung low, and then they'll put a foot up on a monitor and hike the guitar up to a 45 for doing solos. THEY can't really play worth a damn in the low-slung position either.
Cover your dick and you're good to go.

To be honest, guitar worn high looks pretty fucking nerdy no matter how you look at it. It just looks weird everytime, no matter how good or famous guitarist you are. BRUTAL TRUTH

But of course you should be comfortable! Just try to find some sort of balance...
play where it's comfortable ...... I have found the more I play out and longer the gigs are , the lower the guitar feels more comfortable ..... if you get it too low (for me anyway) it gets tougher to bar a F chord and do fingering there too
In the future when practicing start by hanging it high so its comfy and every 5 or 6 days lower it an inch or so (2, 3cm). Until you get to the position "belt in the middle". Side note: Lock your belt buckle on the hip when playing so you don't scratch the back of the guitar.
you're really fucking dumb for playing sitting down in the first place. anyway i play with my guitar as low as my strap lets me, thats just a little bit below my balls. was kind of hard at first but now i feel super natural playing like that + you're much more versatile, you can move the guitar around, do fancy jumps and shit like that
I'm a dirty fuckin' punk / i sell myself for a beer
Quote by Strobber
you're really fucking dumb for playing sitting down in the first place. anyway i play with my guitar as low as my strap lets me, thats just a little bit below my balls. was kind of hard at first but now i feel super natural playing like that + you're much more versatile, you can move the guitar around, do fancy jumps and shit like that

Well, irony alert.

Anyway, TS don't do this, you can cause some serious injuries in your wrists/arms by doing this.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I play around belly button height(not the top of the guitar,More like the middle-ish).The important thing now is to practice your full set whilst standing!I'd have it below torso but above waist line and practice practice practice!
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Jul 4, 2016,
1) sit down with your guitar
2) adjust your strap to where it is exactly the same as in your sitting position
3) stand up
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
I like to practice standing, or rather walking around, I keep the strings at around hip bone height.
For me, having the guitar around crotch height is the most comfortable position - more so than sitting down. That's largely because I play predominantly with my thumb over the neck for muting and suchlike, so that's how I keep my wrist relatively straight. If you're shredding or doing metal riffs and keeping your thumb mainly on the back of the neck, having the guitar around the same height as when you're sitting is probably "ideal". If you're performing you'd probably want it lower than that (none of that guitar-between-your-knees, nonsense, mind you; that just means you can't play properly and look like a bellend) as the difference between a boring, mediocre live performance and an exciting, good one is about 80% appearance.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
For me, having the guitar around crotch height is the most comfortable position - more so than sitting down. That's largely because I play predominantly with my thumb over the neck for muting and suchlike, so that's how I keep my wrist relatively straight. If you're shredding or doing metal riffs and keeping your thumb mainly on the back of the neck, having the guitar around the same height as when you're sitting is probably "ideal". If you're performing you'd probably want it lower than that (none of that guitar-between-your-knees, nonsense, mind you; that just means you can't play properly and look like a bellend) as the difference between a boring, mediocre live performance and an exciting, good one is about 80% appearance.

Meh, I don't play much with my thumb over the neck; I learned on a classical guitar.
But I don't agree that where you wear your guitar) is 80% of an exciting performance, or that wearing the guitar higher insures a boring, mediocre live performance. Unless, of course, your performance IS 80% wearing your guitar and 20% music.
Quote by dspellman
But I don't agree that where you wear your guitar) is 80% of an exciting performance, or that wearing the guitar higher insures a boring, mediocre live performance.
Good, because that's not what I said
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Good, because that's not what I said

No, what you said was that the difference was "appearance."

As a long-time keyboard player (unable to wear my keyboard at crotch level), a sometime ensemble/big band player, an oft-times orchestra-pit player and as a guitar player who's moved well around the stage while wearing the guitar in my inimitable pussy nerd fashion, I have a feeling that my appearance isn't necessarily "80% of the difference between a boring, medicore live performance and an exciting, good one."
Quote by dspellman
No, what you said was that the difference was "appearance."

As a long-time keyboard player (unable to wear my keyboard at crotch level), a sometime ensemble/big band player, an oft-times orchestra-pit player and as a guitar player who's moved well around the stage while wearing the guitar in my inimitable pussy nerd fashion, I have a feeling that my appearance isn't necessarily "80% of the difference between a boring, medicore live performance and an exciting, good one."
Cool You can disagree with what I said without making up your own version, then.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
You just need to practice you set standing up and adjust the strap where it feels most comfortableand is easiest for you to play for sustained periods. There is nothing wrong with playing in a seated position when you are alone but it's a good idea to play standing in a band rehearsal situation at least some of the time so you can get accustomed to it.

Whatever heighth allows you to pay the easiest should be what dictates where your guitar hangs and it will not be the same for everyone.

P.S. If you are judging a show by how low a band has it's guitars slung then you don't seem to have your priorities in order
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Fisheth24
Well, irony alert.

Anyway, TS don't do this, you can cause some serious injuries in your wrists/arms by doing this.

no it won't, never felt any pain and probably never will. when i practice sitting down my right hand cramps and i get huge pain in my right shoulder
I'm a dirty fuckin' punk / i sell myself for a beer
Quote by Evilnine
P.S. If you are judging a show by how low a band has it's guitars slung then you don't seem to have your priorities in order
My only point was and is that most audiences want you to put on a show, and to do a good job of that you generally want an appropriate look for what you're playing. Spectacle makes people remember you as more than just "alright". There are plenty of great musicians, obviously, who perform with their instruments high up, some of them are great showmen and some aren't, but in a metal setting (which is what I had in mind with that comment, though evidently I didn't make the link to the previous sentence explicit), for example, wearing your guitars high generally doesn't do that spectacle any favours. Again, you're entirely welcome to disagree with me on the importance of appearance in a good show, but my statement was that you'll probably want your guitar somewhere below your nipples if you're performing - i.e. appearance gives adequate justification for a lower guitar than is absolutely ideal from a shredding perspective. Not to be one of those pretentious people on the internet that complains about logical fallacies in casual discussion, but taking that and turning it into "where you wear your guitar) is 80% of an exciting performance" or "you are judging a show by how low a band has it's guitars slung" counts as a straw man argument

Quote by Strobber
when i practice sitting down my right hand cramps and i get huge pain in my right shoulder
That sounds to me like a problem for the classical position to fix.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 5, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
My only point was and is that most audiences want you to put on a show, and to do a good job of that you generally want an appropriate look for what you're playing. Spectacle makes people remember you as more than just "alright". There are plenty of great musicians, obviously, who perform with their instruments high up, some of them are great showmen and some aren't, but in a metal setting (which is what I had in mind with that comment, though evidently I didn't make the link to the previous sentence explicit), for example, wearing your guitars high generally doesn't do that spectacle any favours. Again, you're entirely welcome to disagree with me on the importance of appearance in a good show, but my statement was that you'll probably want your guitar somewhere below your nipples if you're performing - i.e. appearance gives adequate justification for a lower guitar than is absolutely ideal from a shredding perspective. Not to be one of those pretentious people on the internet that complains about logical fallacies in casual discussion, but taking that and turning it into "where you wear your guitar) is 80% of an exciting performance" or "you are judging a show by how low a band has it's guitars slung" counts as a straw man argument

That sounds to me like a problem for the classical position to fix.

I understand where you are coming from and agree that if you have your guitars up under your neck you are going to look a bit silly, but having your guitar low just for a visiual effect even if it hinders you from playing your absolute best seems like a bad idea, Personally I wear my guitar at or slightly below my belt line and have no issues playing. I just think that if a music fan that would rather see a band look cool rather than play at the maximum potential has different priorities than I do. When I see a metal show I pay more attention to whether or not a band is really throwing down than where how they have their instruments.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
I understand where you are coming from and agree that if you have your guitars up under your neck you are going to look a bit silly, but having your guitar low just for a visiual effect even if it hinders you from playing your absolute best seems like a bad idea, Personally I wear my guitar at or slightly below my belt line and have no issues playing. I just think that if a music fan that would rather see a band look cool rather than play at the maximum potential has different priorities than I do. When I see a metal show I pay more attention to whether or not a band is really throwing down than where how they have their instruments.
Of course - if it's hindering your playing or, worse, causing you discomfort or pain, it's too far. I certainly don't mean to question that. There's plenty of room between the same height as when you're sitting and instant RSI, though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
However you decide to hold it, just make sure you practice as much as possible standing up between now & the gig. You need to be well practiced with the guitar in position before you go on stage.

Tell the rest of your band to do the same.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If the rest of the band sounds like crap, hang it low. Better to look good if you can't sound good

If the band sounds good, place it where you'll sound good lol...

There is this clasically trained guitarist at my church and he looks really nerdy because it's so damn high. When I play it's down to my knees, but I do admit, I don't sound as good as him lol...

good luck with the gig.
Last edited by iamthehub at Jul 31, 2016,
Quote by GaryBillington
However you decide to hold it, just make sure you practice as much as possible standing up between now & the gig. You need to be well practiced with the guitar in position before you go on stage.

Tell the rest of your band to do the same.

These are my thoughts. Initially it feels quite different to stand and play if you haven't done it before. I tend to practice my more technical stuff sitting but I stand most of the time when I do my practice for band stuff.
1) practice standing up as much as possible - it makes a big difference.

2) be carefull putting your strap up too high, you can cut the blood flow to your hand if it's up too high all night - it can actually make playing more difficult.
Quote by 21GunSalute
1) sit down with your guitar
2) adjust your strap to where it is exactly the same as in your sitting position
3) stand up

This +so many
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Just bring a chair on stage with you and play sitting down, problem solved
Morello plays with strap set so his guitar is practically on his neck and he is a good guitarist with good reputation and image so you aren't obligated to look nerdy with guitar up high nor you're pretentious little brat with guitar way down low. The point is: comfort tops all