Hey guys,
Looking for a new amp now that I have some money in my pocket. My first choice is a Lazy J, but they cost a ton because of the exchange rate and he has a 10 month waiting list. I play mostly blues rock (rolling stones, hendrix, Neil young, zeppelin, Tom petty, etc.) and am looking for an amp capable of home, jamming, and small gig use. My main tone is edge of breakup and I have a drive pedal to push it if I want more hair. Not looking to spend over $2k. Mostly looking for a combo, but not completely against a head and cab.

As of right now, the main two amps I'm looking at are the Victoria 20112 and the Dr. Z Maz 18. Home use can be cleaner or may buy an attenuator if I have money left over. But for jamming I don't want it to get too overdriven. Thanks for looking and happy 4th!

Edit: sorry about the title grammar, don't know why it autocorrected to "helping".
Last edited by 49GiantWarriors at Jul 4, 2016,
Tons of good choices for less than $1k.

Blues Jr, Tiny Terror, Classic 30, Super Champ, HRD, Mesa F-30/F-50, Traynor, etc. Maz 18 is nice but it's a boutique amp for folks with lots of spare $$, not often seen at local pub gigs where it might get damaged or stolen. Peavey Classic 30 sounds a LOT like it for 1/4 the price.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Some boutique options:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dr-Z-Maz-38-1x12-NR-Combo-in-Black-We-are-the-1-Dr-Z-Dealer-/171918489892?hash=item280723f924:g:GMwAAOxyKh5SC6zj

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331899007824?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

But you can definitely get good blues tones out of more affordable amps like a Fneder HRD or Bassbreaker, Vox AC30, Carvin Belair, and the like. Not that I'm averse to shopping for pricey amps- the Dr. Z and Tone-King I linked to are on my watched lists.

One of Supro's offerings would be a good fit, too.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Guitar-Amplifiers/38072/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=supro+amp
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 4, 2016,
Quote by Zhaezzy
Budget wise a Carvin V16 or nomad would be a decent choice. There are quite a few options out there.

I agree ..... if you need a lot of the head room the 50 watt series Nomad ( 1x12 ) , Belair (2x12) or VT50 (head ) ...... less head room the 16 watt VT16 for sure
Thank you for your responses. However, a couple things:
1. I'm not looking for years of clean headroom. I'm just looking for one that won't be full overdrive at noon.
2. I'm not looking for the most budget amp that fits kind of closely to what I'm looking for. There is a balance to be struck with price and quality. MuchXS, Dr Z, Lil dawg, Victoria, Carr, Top Hat, etc are all quality pieces of gear that I could get easily for my price range used. I forget if I put I don't mind buying used. But this next amp purchase is one that I'm hoping to keep for a long long time.
Have you considered Divided by 13? Two Rock? Matchless?

Honestly, there's a horde of killer boutique amps like the ones mentioned in this thread so far. Availability can be an issue, of course, which limits your ability to try stuff out.

But it really is hard to go wrong with any of them. Listen to some apsamples, and pick the one you like the looks & sound of in your price range
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 4, 2016,
Quote by 49GiantWarriors
Thank you for your responses. However, a couple things:
1. I'm not looking for years of clean headroom. I'm just looking for one that won't be full overdrive at noon.
2. I'm not looking for the most budget amp that fits kind of closely to what I'm looking for. There is a balance to be struck with price and quality. MuchXS, Dr Z, Lil dawg, Victoria, Carr, Top Hat, etc are all quality pieces of gear that I could get easily for my price range used. I forget if I put I don't mind buying used. But this next amp purchase is one that I'm hoping to keep for a long long time.

Bad Cat is another boutique to throw in the mix. Pick a nice one and know that our tastes change so every amp will get familiar over time and you will jones for something new. I have owned about 30 guitar amps over the years and currently own 5. The only one that has stayed with me is the 64 Super Reverb I bought when I was 14. It is what we do.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY