Been toying around with a new idea, just wanted some feedback from it. I know not all the instruments are mixed as well as they should be and I know there's some notation which is wrong near the end.

Just wondered how it was sounding to everyone else so far? I'm wanting to get a decent instrumental mix before I go ahead and get some vocals done.

So what do people think?

https://soundcloud.com/andy-scarlett-1/man-or-machine-instrumental-demo
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Hey! I think it sounds good, has clarity, you could place some vocals on it and have a decent track, but I have some suggestions to improve this track; Clearer sounding drums, they sound good, fit the style, but feel a little buried in the mix, except for the kick, maybe try to take away some bass from it, and raise the volume of the rest of the drums in the mix. Also, try to make the synth more in time with the real instruments, it would sound more professional like that, I have no idea how to do it if you're programming the melodies with mouse and keyboard, but I guess the easiest way is with a MIDI keyboard playing the notes yourself. The guitars sounds good, but I think they would sound better they were louder/had more presence in the mix.

Other than those details I think it already sounds good. Musically, I have no idea about this genre but I think it sounds cool! Good job man!

Check out my stuff here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1704690
Quote by VStratto Music
Hey! I think it sounds good, has clarity, you could place some vocals on it and have a decent track, but I have some suggestions to improve this track; Clearer sounding drums, they sound good, fit the style, but feel a little buried in the mix, except for the kick, maybe try to take away some bass from it, and raise the volume of the rest of the drums in the mix. Also, try to make the synth more in time with the real instruments, it would sound more professional like that, I have no idea how to do it if you're programming the melodies with mouse and keyboard, but I guess the easiest way is with a MIDI keyboard playing the notes yourself. The guitars sounds good, but I think they would sound better they were louder/had more presence in the mix.

Other than those details I think it already sounds good. Musically, I have no idea about this genre but I think it sounds cool! Good job man!

Check out my stuff here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1704690

Hey there, thanks for the awesome comments.

Clearer drums, yeah that's something I've had an issue with for a while,

How do you mean more in time with the real instruments? I thought it was fairly down. Can you provide me an example in the track where this is an issue?

Thanks for the feedback!

Andy.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Hey there, thanks for the awesome comments.

Clearer drums, yeah that's something I've had an issue with for a while,

How do you mean more in time with the real instruments? I thought it was fairly down. Can you provide me an example in the track where this is an issue?

Thanks for the feedback!

Andy.

Maybe around 0:10 for example? It's not really an issue for the track, just a detail. Have you programmed these notes or have you played them yourself?
It's a lot easier for the timing if you play them yourself, also you avoid having to edit each hit's velocity, etc.
Hey man!

The composition sounds cool but you need to have a better mix for people to actually understand the song. The drums and guitars are buried in the mix and it loses the overall punch and clarity. Not a big deal...can easily be fixed in the mix.

Cheers!
Shsnk
Quote by shsnk666
Hey man!

The composition sounds cool but you need to have a better mix for people to actually understand the song. The drums and guitars are buried in the mix and it loses the overall punch and clarity. Not a big deal...can easily be fixed in the mix.

Cheers!
Shsnk

Thanks, I'll sort out the guitars and post up another version tomorrow!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Hey man

The guitar tone is a bit harsh, might need a bit of EQ and reverb on there. I can't really hear any bass either, so that might need some turning up. The synth sounds good though. This piece sounds like it needs vocals to me as theres nothing that actively grabs attention. I would add either a solo instrument or a voice. That doesnt mean it needs to solo the entire time, just needs something like a riff or ostinato for the listener to grab onto. Keep writing!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1705226
Fisheth24,
In my opinion, there is lots of treble and not much bass. I think I heard a flub at 2:24. Assuming that is a synth, record it with a sequencer, then you can fix stuff like that. It sounds fairly pleasant overall. Please review my music at this link (if you lean towards metal, I would try out my second song first):

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1705214