I have an original Epiphone Genesis that I absolutely love, and about $350 saved up to put upgrades on it (tuners, bridge, pickups, etc.) I was looking at eBay and reverb and I can get a genuine Gibson sg or les Paul double cut for $700. I would pick the Epiphone without question of it wasn't so heavy (12+ lbs.) It is so heavy in fact it bent the handle of the hardshell case I carry it in. It's like 3 les pauls. So what should I do: Gibson les Paul doublecut special, sg special, or upgrade the Epiphone Genesis? Thanks in advance.
Well 3 Les Pauls would be about 27lbs
But if the Epi is too heavy then get something lighter.If you like the Epi and its weight then it's up to you really.As said above the Gibby would hold its value better.Epi upgrades are only worth it if you're going to keep it and you love the guitar and the weight is'nt an issue.
I'd go for the Gibson. Super heavy guitars don't inspire play..and frankly I think a Gibson is going to be a guitar you'll feel like holding onto longer and maintaining, if you're like me. I tend to treat cheaper guitars disposably
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Another vote to try and get a real Gibson vs dumping money into an Epiphone. Sure, the Epiphone can be a great instrument with some upgrades, but understand that you will see minimal, if any value increase on it after sinking upgrade funds into it (High end pickups can help a bit), whereas a Gibson tends to hold it's value (That is, if you leave it stock/retain the original parts if you make mods to it). Plus, there's nothing you can really do about the weight of your Epi, unless you were to turn it into a project guitar, and gut the body for some weight relief. You'd have to DIY this if you wanted to keep it cheap.

On another note, The SG, and the LP double-cut are 2 different beasts. Go w/the LP if you want a Gibson version of what you have at the moment.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I think I'd first consider the "upgrades" you want to put on the Genesis. Tuners and bridge usually aren't necessary and don't do much. Pickups are a different story.

I'm not all that sold on the whole "real Gibson" thing -- you'll probably end up wanting to replace exactly the same hardware on the Gibson that you do on the Genesis, and that can easily include the pickups as well. Nothing all that great about a $700 Gibson, honestly.

The weight of the Genesis can actually pay off in sustain and sound (for all the same reasons that people went looking for discontinued Les Pauls in the '60's), so don't let that put you off unless you simply can't handle it.
i would go gibson. thats just me. i have five at the moment and two on the lower end and quite enjoy them. as far as modding the Epi goes, only do it if you want to keep it for a very long time, as you are going to take a hit.

as far as gibson hardware and tuners go, i am not aware of a problem.

as far as pickups go, that is a opinion thing as well. i will say that the 490t is quite uninspiring though.

i would go gibson, but it is a personal thing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you love the way the Epi plays, and the weight doesn't bother you too much, mod it.

If you have the $$$ and the Epi's mass is getting to you, go Gibson...or something else. There's a lot of guitars out there.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I love the Gibson SG i picked up for $400 (before the faded lines). I put EMG's in it, touched up the nut, filed a little bit of a couple of frets, and its been very good to me. plays well, holds tuning well, doesn't have neck dive, great guitar.

OP- you really just gotta play some guitars. see what you like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/