I got a guitar as a gift a few years ago but didn't start learning until 2 weeks ago. My e string snapped while tunning today and I was wondering if it was because the strings were to old, they're the same ones that were on the guitar when I got it.
you can pretty much change them when you feel you need to- different climates, sweat, how you play (and probably a bunch of other things) all affect how quickly strings will wear out. And some players actually prefer old strings.

But yeah if they've been on there for a few years and there's a fair chance they'd benefit from being changed, and that might be why one snapped- not necessarily though, again there's any number of reasons why they can snap, including "bad luck" unfortunately. When I got my acoustic a few years ago I snapped a string when I tried to tune it up for the first time out of the box, for example.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 4, 2016,
Depends.

Some folks change strings every week after they put 20-30 hrs on them. Some keep the same ones for a year or more. I clean them regularly and when the undersides show significant wear from the frets I change them. Approximately 40 hours of playing time or every two months.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I've heard professional players be like "Oh, my action from the strings wear out like within hours"
Most people recommend probably atleast once a year minumum...
But I had my strings on for 3 years once. When I changed them, yes, the difference in sound was so much better (it being brighter, and more audible and full of life) compared to my old ones. but preferably, i really didn't mind the old ones... they kept quiet and still did what i needed them to do..
So... whatever..
As long as you don't feel like you're about to get tetanus from doing slides... it's probably o.k
Not as twice as bad as you would've thought it was going to be
If it's an acoustic that you play casually you could probably get away with changing them every year or so.

I change strings(on my electric) anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months depending on how much I happen to be playing.

String do tend to get dull and "dead" sounding after a few months as they do accumulate sweat/dust/dirt and rust. Wash your hands before you play to increase the life of your strings.
Quote by rickyj

String do tend to get dull and "dead" sounding after a few months as they do accumulate sweat/dust/dirt and rust. Wash your hands before you play to increase the life of your strings.

It does vary, some people can wear out a set of strings after one playing session because of their sweat composition. That would suck.

I always wash my hands before playing, though. I'm guessing that doesn't hurt.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I loathe new strings, but I also can't stand when they lose their spring-y characteristic all together. I change them when it begins to take notable effort to hit full step bends at the 7th.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
Quote by Dave_Mc
It does vary, some people can wear out a set of strings after one playing session because of their sweat composition. That would suck.

I always wash my hands before playing, though. I'm guessing that doesn't hurt.

I guess I'm lucky my fingers don't sweat, I do wash my hands prior to playing and my strings seem last for ever but I rotate guitars alot so it takes some time to get many hours on any particular set. Even when I only had 3 guitars I still got a long time out of a set because of the no sweat thing I had friends tho that could literally kill a brand new set after one playing if they didn't wipe them thoroughly after playing because of the caustic sweat, I always hated letting them play my guitars
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 7, 2016,
haha yeah

i'm not sure if my fingers don't sweat, but if they do it seems to be pretty benign sweat. so that's nice.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?