So I'm looking into 8 string acoustics, I saw one a while back and it got me thinking.
At the moment I'm just window shopping but I will be saving up price depending.
In my searches so far I have only seen ones where they have 8 evenly spaced strings, the type I'm after is played like a 6 string but d and g are paired an octave apart like on a 12. can anyone give me manufacturers or models numbers of guitars like these if they know of any.
Thanks guys
It really seems like you should take the four "extra" offending strings off your twelve and call it a day.
I like my 12 string. Plus the spacing would be wrong. Although that did cross my mind as an idea.
Isn't a 12 string tonally awkward enough for you? As they stand, you have to rethink how you play given passages, to avoid losing the octave chime, as you crossover to the B-2 & e-1 strings. This is without causing all kind of unequal volume issues jumping from a double string to a single string.

Not to mention the fact you're the only person I've known, who was looking for something like this.

Do something bold with your 6 string, buy one of these,

Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 6, 2016,
Cranky I don't get what you mean by a 12 being tonally awkward a for me?
As Tony I don't have a 6 I want to modify. I currently have 3 guitars. My aria 12 for rhythm, my tanglewood 6 string OM for finger style and my other 6 string that's a bag of crap for lugging around places I don't want to take the tanglewood. I've only just finished modding the 12 into a dog dish resonator given it ripped the bridge off so don't think that's a good candidate for an 8 string mod. Also, cranky I assume that box is for plugging into an acoustic electric? Non of my guitars have that ability as they are all acoustic only and I have no sound hole pickups as I don't gig I just play for pleasure. I know what I'm after exists I just don't remember where I saw it or what make/model it was.
Quote by Thom1989
Cranky I don't get what you mean by a 12 being tonally awkward a for me? ...[ ]....
I had though I'd said, "tonally awkward", period.

What I meant was this, when you play a melody on a 12, you can't really play it in the same position you would on a 6 string. This is because the octave strings have a particular chime, and you lose that when you cross over to the unison strings. Thus, the perceived tone on the unison strings becomes lower as compared to a note on the octave string, which may be lower in actual pitch, at least on the "prime string".

Now, as to whether or not "8 string guitars exist", I can pretty much tell you straight up, you won't find one at any of the big internet retailers. So, if you want to go on this "quest", you're pretty much on your own.

IMHO, this is just some idea that popped into your head, and it's become fixated.

That, along with the fact that all these old time blues guys who everyone here seems to revere, were playing with shit guitars, shot strings, and lousy recording equipment. Which causes me to believe, a mission to recapture their "tone or sacred equipment", is naught but a "fool's errand".

So, you have all these reasons why none of your current stable of instruments can be, would be, or should be, pressed into "8 string service". I suggest going out and buying another guitar and butchering that. Final answer.

Sorry, YRMV
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 6, 2016,
It's not too diffficult a job to convert a 6 string into what you are after. There needs to be room at the top of the headstock to install tuners for the new D and G octave strings. Then you just need a couple of new bridge pin holes (just behind the line of 6 existing pinholes) in the correct position. A couple of new nut slots just beside the existing D and G slots and the jobs done. Anyone a with a few DIY skills could do it and for a luthier it's easy-peasy.

Martin made a 7 string (with an octave G) for Roger McGuinn:

Well, Roger manages to prove exactly what I've been saying all along, "a 8 (or 7), string guitar would be awkward to use playing melody.), That's in addition to standard lead.

Please note that a melody he has been playing for 5 decades, "Turn, Turn, Turn", has to be played on one string. People make fun of Neil Young when he does that crap on an electric.

As for the razzmatazz in the ending piece, it seems like he is playing around the G string(s), and using it as a drone, a la 5 string banjo.

Also take note he has his Rick, a 12 string acoustic, (probably Martin also), and that 5 string banjo sitting in the background, ostensibly waiting for him to finish his patter about airlines breaking guitars.

And don't even let me start, about how you really would have to be Roger McGuinn, or how much it would cost, to casually walk into the C.F.Martin Co. and say, "if you're not busy, would you mind building me a 7 string guitar".

Garthman Let's agree to disagree about the methodology for converting a guitar to "8 string operation. For any one of a number of reasons, I think it would be much easier to start with a 12 string, and work backwards.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 7, 2016,
Quote by Captaincranky
. . . Garthman Let's agree to disagree about the methodology for converting a guitar to "8 string operation. For any one of a number of reasons, I think it would be much easier to start with a 12 string, and work backwards. . .

Sure. That's what I would do. But the OP said he didn't want to do that so I offered an alternative.

Not that I see much point in having a guitar with just octave D and G strings . . . . . . .
Last edited by Garthman at Jul 8, 2016,
Quote by Garthman
. Not that I see much point in having a guitar with just octave D and G strings . . . . . . .
Amen!