So I've been wanting to get an electric baritone guitar but I just don't care for any of the body types I've been finding, I do however, adore explorers, and while I'm inexperienced and have never gone about this before, I'd like to custom make one. Now I don't mean getting my own wood and carving it out, but I'd like recommendations on where to go for something like this, I did some research and the only place that seems to be at least somewhat successful is warmoth, now, unfortunately they do not have Explorer bodies. The closest thing they have is their "Nomad" body and I can't do it. I've been wondering where in the hell I can get an explorer body with the 24 fret re-position for the neck pickup due to the baritone scale neck? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I had until realizing I could just make a post here been thinking to get the neck from warmoth. Thanks for your time! <3
On most of these guitars, the neck pickup stays about where it always is, and it's the bridge and the frets that move around it, depending on scale and number of frets. For example, I've got a couple of 24-fret Les Pauls. The 24th fret is at the same spot where the 22nd fret would normally be. That necessitated the neck being about 3/4" longer and the bridge/bridge pickup moving toward the neck pickup about the same amount to maintain the scale.

One thing you're going to want to be careful of with a 24-fret longer-scale (baritone) neck on an explorer; it stands a good chance of being neck-heavy.
Explorerbuilder So considering you make them custom I assume you could make the body like a standard Explorer? I don't know what it is about the slight differences but I don't personally enjoy them, too pointy I guess. Like this http://www.session.de/out/pictures/master/product/1/Epiphone-Explorer-Gothic-Pitch-Black.jpg . I'd also like to note that I have no clue what I'm doing, I'm more of a computer guy, so I don't see the electronics being too difficult, but as far as routing is concerned, I don't know what I should be doing.
Last edited by manofgoats772 at Jul 5, 2016,
dspellman Do you have any suggestions? Maybe a larger body? There was a Baritone Explorer made once by Gibson so I guess I could check to see if that body was larger?
Quote by manofgoats772
dspellman Do you have any suggestions? Maybe a larger body? There was a Baritone Explorer made once by Gibson so I guess I could check to see if that body was larger?

Gibson had a 28" scale Baritone out briefly. I tried one (I don't know if the body was a different size). It was neck heavy, which is why the caution.
I built and sold this one a little while ago. Neck through build, quilted mahogany with a 28" scale.

Last edited by muttstang at Jul 19, 2016,