Poll: Which wah should I get? (Used, Price is factor)
Poll Options
View poll results: Which wah should I get? (Used, Price is factor)
Crybaby 535q
1 100%
Vox V847 (USA)
0 0%
BBE Ben Wah
0 0%
Voters: 1.
Hi guys,

Need help deciding on a wah pedal, have 3 options listed in the poll. I am located outside the USA. Buying used, on a budget (very rough est.: $80 US), need to make this decision quick as deal is closing very soon.

I've seen other threads discussing a similar comparison. But I am buying used, so price is a big factor as well. Once again, I am outside the US, with a different market size and different variety available: but through estimation, an equivalent price I can get for these 3 options are:

V847 ~ $45 US (I will probably have to get it modded by a pro later, will cost more than pedal, no time/skill to DIY mod)
535q ~ $80 US (a slightly questionable seller wants to sell for about $48, not sure if fake/real)
Ben Wah ~ $88 US (I have to wait for owner to perform repair on scratchy pot, other deals will be gone by then)

Once again, planned budget is $80. But each US $1 here is a little harder to earn than in the US, so keep that in mind.

I have actually asked the same question on TGP, go to this thread where I have typed MUCH MORE detail, it should answer any and all of your questions. Posting here as my thread probably got lost on TGP.

Planning to play blues rock, classic rock (Led Zep, Bonamassa, Clapton, Robben Ford). Highly prefer low noise pedal. I like smooth vocal qualities. I mostly play humbuckers, but do play single coils. Into a Peavey Classic 30 most of the time.

Hoping you guys can help point me in the right direction. These wah's have been around for a while. Is there some reason I should avoid one or the other? I know the BBE has the scratchy pot issue, anything else I should be aware of? Do the V847's and 535q's have a history of issues? Are there any long-term issues, like failing build quality? Noisy pots? Stuff that reviews don't usually cover? Is my thinking not sound? What would be the more rational choice.

Thanks a lot guys.

EDIT: Update, thanks for the suggestions for Morley's, but I can't find any on the market at the moment.
Last edited by artkingjw at Jul 5, 2016,
if you are able to get a Morley Classic or Power Wha where you are at I'd highly suggest one of those. no pots so scratchy never an issue. there buffer also plays nice with other pedals and won't cause tone suckage when disengaged.
535Q sits on my pedal board and I like it. No experience with the others.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I like the Morley Maverick.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks guys, I see a lot of love for Morley here. I have owned a Morley in the past through a lucky find (it may be a Bad Horsie). Was not a fan of the sound I was getting for more bluesy stuff, but then, at that time I was much less developed as a player... pretty sure I sold it for something else... it worked well for the higher gain tones though, I remember liking that. I'll keep an eye out then, especially for the 'vintage' voiced Morley's.

In terms of optical, I also have an ancient George Dennis wah/volume pedal. Loved that thing when I got it, especially at the price. But its since aged, and I don't like the sound anymore + it tone sucks like no tomorrow.

By the way, can an optical wah be adjusted for darker or brighter treadle? Mechanical wahs, you can move the pot position to bring the sweep lower. Thanks.
You can adjust the sweep. You just bend the Led to where you want it. It shines through a moving window. Changing the position of the led changes how it operates.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
In any case though, I don't see any Morley's in my market, so... it is for now, still the choice between these 3 options.