Hello guys. A quick question for you.
I have an average guitar amp (fender mustang).Is it worth buying expensive pedals
to cover/improve the amp's tone or should I buy a better amp ?
Note : I am not looking neither for the perfect tone which is produced by amps of 283839202.039393$ nor for an amp used for recording

Thx for help
Get a better amp. Most good pedals, on their own, can't produce a sound as good as a decent amp, and a modeller like the Mustang probably won't play nice with most pedals either.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
amp for sure. Pedals generally only play nice with certain amps. Fender Twin is a great example as one that plays very well with pedals.
Even better, learn to get the best tone out of what you have. Buying a ton of boutique pedals won't make a shitty amp sound good, not in a million years, but buying a fantastic amp won't hand you a great tone on a silver platter either. Mustangs aren't bad, yeah they're modelling and will never sound as nice as a real tube amp, but there's no reason why you can't get it to sound good. My guitar lecturer has to use those shitty mini fender modelling amps that are about the size of a shoe since that's what the campus provides, yet he still makes it sound kick ass.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
Quote by Jimjambanx
Even better, learn to get the best tone out of what you have. Buying a ton of boutique pedals won't make a shitty amp sound good, not in a million years, but buying a fantastic amp won't hand you a great tone on a silver platter either. Mustangs aren't bad, yeah they're modelling and will never sound as nice as a real tube amp, but there's no reason why you can't get it to sound good. My guitar lecturer has to use those shitty mini fender modelling amps that are about the size of a shoe since that's what the campus provides, yet he still makes it sound kick ass.
I would say that buying a fantastic amp can hand you a great tone on a silver platter, depending on the amp in question. With a lot of classic amps with simple control schemes I would argue you pretty much can't go wrong, minus maybe some very obvious things like ice pick treble on clean amps. That said, learning to make the best of what you have is (pardon the pun) sound advice that will at least help you make the best of a later amp. The Mustangs are, indeed, pretty legit as modellers go, though they don't cover everything.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Personally I always like spending more on the amp than pedals. Pedals need a good starting platform to sound really good so if you start off with a nice tone, your pedals will really shine. That being said, it is nice having a pedalboard you can just plug into whatever and dial in a sound but it's something I usually focus on after I'm happy with my base sounds and I just want to add a little bit for specific tones.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Like said above they are good modelling amps but they have a point were their perfection stops.I bought it cause I hadn't yet decided even what style of music
I sound play. After almost two years with this amp I can definitely say that although its general icon which is good it's not the best for a metal player.
I was thinking that distortion/overdrive pedals may covered its imperfections
Do you have a mustang IV or V by chance?

I can make those things scream, but the 1-3's are pretty... eh... You can get some really good sounds out of the mustangs. They fail when you try to do metal/djenty type stuff, so your style of music also comes in to play here.

On the flip side, if youre not playing gigs, and are a bedroom rocker, Positive Grid Bias AMP and FX is a pretty outstanding setup for the money.

what you DONT want to do is buy cheap, crappy pedals and put them on a cheap practice amp. You will literally be wasting money. No you dont need a strymon timeline for your delay and a klon centaur for your drive pedal, but those plastic junky pedals wont get you very far either lol.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Personally I always like spending more on the amp than pedals. Pedals need a good starting platform to sound really good so if you start off with a nice tone, your pedals will really shine.

+1

Plus an awful lot of expensive pedals (not all) are glorified clones of cheap pedals. You can get good-sounding pedals for not much money these days. There's a better selection of good, cheaper amps these days too, but it's still more critical I'd say than the pedals, by some margin.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bob493
Quote by bob493
Do you have a mustang IV or V by chance?

I can make those things scream, but the 1-3's are pretty... eh... You can get some really good sounds out of the mustangs. They fail when you try to do metal/djenty type stuff, so your style of music also comes in to play here.

On the flip side, if youre not playing gigs, and are a bedroom rocker, Positive Grid Bias AMP and FX is a pretty outstanding setup for the money.

I play mostly metal especially (melodic death or djent). I don't have a long time from the day I joined my band so we don't gig very often but we plan to do so...

BTW I have the mustang I (1) V.2 (re-issued)
Another amp vote. Partly because there are plenty of good cheap pedals, and most of us can afford to experiment a bit with them. I'm deeply suspicious of expensive boutique pedals. They've popped up like multicoloured toadstools on an autumn night, and until I know better I'm treating it as a money-making bandwagon. Er, mixed metaphor, but never mind.
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

Plus an awful lot of expensive pedals (not all) are glorified clones of cheap pedals. You can get good-sounding pedals for not much money these days. There's a better selection of good, cheaper amps these days too, but it's still more critical I'd say than the pedals, by some margin.

yup. remember the amp is the foundation of your tone and you want as solid a foundation as you can get. a good amp doesn't have to be expensive but it does need to be able to deliver what you want. fx are like icing on a cake. also keep in mind that a good amp will be able to let those expensive pedals (and cheap ones to) really shine.

again expensive doesn't make a pedal "better" automatically. I don't have anything over $150 on my board and I do just fine in the tone dept. this is of course not to say that some expensive pedals aren't worth the money as they are but many are as mentioned just glorified copies of other pedals.
Quote by DHF1234
bob493

I play mostly metal especially (melodic death or djent). I don't have a long time from the day I joined my band so we don't gig very often but we plan to do so...

Wrong amp for the music you play and pedals won't fix this. Time to shop for a new one that suits your music better. Go play through an Orange Dark Terror and see what you think. Excellent hi gain tone, not too much $$$.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 5, 2016,
Quote by monwobobbo
yup. remember the amp is the foundation of your tone and you want as solid a foundation as you can get. a good amp doesn't have to be expensive but it does need to be able to deliver what you want. fx are like icing on a cake. also keep in mind that a good amp will be able to let those expensive pedals (and cheap ones to) really shine.

again expensive doesn't make a pedal "better" automatically. I don't have anything over $150 on my board and I do just fine in the tone dept. this is of course not to say that some expensive pedals aren't worth the money as they are but many are as mentioned just glorified copies of other pedals.

yeah. and definitely even with amps you don't have to spend tons to get something good. jet cities, for example, are really good for the money (and they're not the only one).

and yeah with pedals the thing is figuring out which pedals you have to spend money on to get something good, and which ones you don't. Just as a matter of principle I really don't want to spend $600 on a tubescreamer even if I could afford it, but I'd be really miffed if I spent $600 on a tubescreamer and then didn't have $600 to spend on something where you need to spend that amount of money to get something good...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by DHF1234
bob493

how the fuck do you gig with that?!?!?!?!?

time to go shopping.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by DHF1234
bob493

Ok. Dont hate me for making assumptions, but Im guessing you dont have a shit ton of cash to drop on an amp.

MY recommendation is you go find a peavey windsor and a cheap 4x12 cab that suits the ohm rating of the amp. You can find windsors for 200$, and a reasonably decent cab will run you 100$. Obviously used prices here. Roland cabs are pretty solid for the money, but check guitar center used, there are tons of bargains out there. Some cheapo cabs still run celestion v30's, which is fabulous really.

From there, a decent distortion/overdrive pedal will take you the rest of the way. Huge sound, cheap cost.

A crate blue voodoo is a close close second suggestion, and they come in combos. Not the most reliable of amps, but its a pretty good work horse.
My recommendation would be to find a used Peavey XXX 212 combo amp. Loud enough to gig with, more portable than a half-stack, and can still be used for quiet bedroom jamming. Cheap enough that it won't totally break the bank. A speaker upgrade would be recommended down the line, but the stock xxx speakers are good enough that you can hold off on that investment. Of course, if you're djenting... you'll need a gate/suppressor and a boost pedal.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.