I've been putting together an SRV Charley reproduction for months. I want it to be as faithful as possible. I've spent hundreds of hours researching various aspects of the guitar.

One little detail I've been working on is the engraving on the neck plate. Depending upon which author or website you read, the inscription is:

Presented to Stevie Ray Vaughan--More in '84--Charley
To Stevie Ray Vaughan--More in '84--Charley
Stevie Ray Vaughan--More in '84--Charley
Stevie Ray Vaughan--More in '84.

To the best of my knowledge, there's only one photograph on the internet that shows the neckplate well enough to even see letters, but the resolution is too low to read them. I can make out "Stevie Ray Vaughan", then two lines of type below that.

Has anyone seen the guitar up close and, if so, do you remember precisely what the wording is?

I know this is nitpicking, but I want this guitar to be as accurate as I can get it.

Thanks for any replies.
"Wirz built it in late 1983, and placed a neck plate on it engraved "To Stevie Ray Vaughan, more in '84". It had three Danelectro lipstick pickups. This guitar often was used during "Life Without You", which was itself said to be written as a tribute to Charley Wirz.[4]
Lenny"

actually ,here you go xD

http://www.axetremecreations.com/SRV-Vaughan-Ol-Pearl-Charley-Neck-plate-Screws
Last edited by bob493 at Jul 5, 2016,
Your best bet would probably be finding out who owns the guitar at the moment and seeing if you can contact them. I would imagine it's been hidden somewhere in a case in a private collection since SRV died if there's no obvious indication to the contrary, and as far as photos are concerned the only ones you'll be able to verify as being the original are probably going to be ones with SRV himself in them, which by definition probably won't be a high enough resolution to show anything useful.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
bob493, that axetremecreations plate is completely wrong. The type isn't black. It's just plain engraved chrome.

I'm pretty sure that Jimmie Vaughan owns SRV's Charley, even though he has one that Charley made for him.

As I mentioned above, the actual wording depends upon who you read. You'll see one version in a zillion places because everybody sees it and repeats it.

This is the only photo I've found out of hundreds of thousands I viewed that shows the type on the plate:

Last edited by Monkeyleg at Jul 5, 2016,
Ah, sorry bout that. My google-fu lead me to it; but I figured youd have seen it of course.
Well unless you "know a guy", I really doubt you're going to do better than that image, I'm afraid, though I wish you the best of luck - that's a wonderful instrument and I've definitely considered getting a lipstick Strat inspired by it (decided against it because I don't really get along with Strats in practice).

That said, were I in your position, what I'd do is put my own engraving on there identifying it as what it really is - an "In memory of..." or a "Tribute to..." be it SRV or Charley or both. It'd do nothing to compromise the visual impact of the instrument and it'd let you put a something like a signature on there.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 5, 2016,
I've definitely considered getting a lipstick Strat inspired by it (decided against it because I don't really get along with Strats in practice).

Plenty of other options for lipstick equipped guitars besides Strats, of course. And no, I don't mean Danos, either
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
stop necrobumping
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/