So I recently set up my bc rich V to a new a tuning. It's not in drop C and I had the floyd blocked off with a Floyd upgrades Trem stopper...

I know that raising the action can reduce fret buzz, and when I had changed the string gauge and tuning, the action was SUPER low. Normally just how I liek it, but with the string gauge and tuning being altered, it must have fucked things up a bit...

Ya see, I could maybe deal with some buzz on just the fretboard alone, but its coming through the amp now as well!!! I thought that it might have something to do with the pickup, since its a seymour duncan blackout metal humbucker, and it i have the jumper engaged so that its in high gain mode, A pickup that shits on the original pickup (emg 81) that came stock with the guitar... (I prefer passives)

Do you thing I should loosen the truss rod up a bit? Take off the locking nut and then a few quarter turns to the left, right?
I just don't wanna fuck any thing else up, I adjusted the action at the floyd rose bridge with my allen key, and now the wound strings are MUCH higher than the unwound ones but Im still getting this buzz through the amp, and it's only on the low end of the note frequencies...

When I palm mute you can hear that shit and its really fucking annoying. I fucked with the EQ on the amp thinking maybe it was a mid or treble thing but nah it did nothing...

Please help.
Are you sure it's fret buzz and not something else? For all these adjustments you want to hear how the guitar sounds by itself, not connected to the amp. Do you keep the tremolo always blocked or is it unblocked now? In any case, check that the bridge is level. Are you using thicker strings?

How is the neck? Is it straight, does it have a bow in some direction? Check out some videos or the setup guide sticky here. Assuming you're going to work on the truss rod, don't remove the locking nut, no reason to do that. Remove the truss rod cover. And start with a single quarter, or less, turn to the left. Then recheck everything.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Jul 5, 2016,
Im using thicker gauge strings and yes the bridge is level... i can acoustically hear that there IS fret buzz.

Also, when I was using a different cable, I could hear shorting out sounds and a different kind of buzzing coming from the amp... When I switched to a better cable though, it stopped.

Idk man, I think I should try adjusting the truss rod. Do you think pickup height could have anything to do with it? I'm telling you, the pick up jumper is good to go and everything is connected. But maybe I need to lower the pickup. Idk.
Some of what you're hearing, static/white noise sound, could be electromagnetic interference. You can try lowering your pickup if you want to, see if it makes a difference.

Regarding the fret buzz, is it all over the fretboard and all strings?
As you mentioned, your guitar was perfectly set up.. then you changed string gauge to higher tension (example: 9's to 10's) and if originally it is regular standard tuning with original string gauge.. then once you change to thicker higher gauge string you need to adjust the trus rod and trem claw spring to counter the heavy strings. If you are stumped, you could always go to a professional and have it properly set up.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Which way should i turn the trem claw screws? And only on the wound side, right? I just dont wanna fuck it up cause the bridge is blocked and parallel and i dont wanna break a string, I just want the buzzing from the amp to stop.

Should have known it was the damn springs... Floyds are a pain in the balls
Quote by DeathShredder23
Which way should i turn the trem claw screws? And only on the wound side, right? I just dont wanna fuck it up cause the bridge is blocked and parallel and i dont wanna break a string, I just want the buzzing from the amp to stop.

Should have known it was the damn springs... Floyds are a pain in the balls

If your trem is level and properly floating then adjusting the spring claw should not be necessary and will either pull the bridge down or allow it to lift up depending on whether you tighten or loosen the springs. If your trem is blocked the springs should not need adjusting unless they are to loose the hold the block against the stopper.

How is the relief on the neck? Using heavier gage string my require a minor truss rod adjustment.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 6, 2016,
I think you'll have to unblock the trem. First unlock the screws that hold the strings at the nut. See what the bridge does, then re-adjust if necessary, after all is set, then block again.
a neck can be straight but it is preferable to have slight relief or forward arc or bow (not too much just enough to prevent buzzing).

A simple analogy i can think of is see saw, both side need to have same weight to maintain balance, if one side is too heavy, the lighter side will lift up.. Floyd Rose uses same principle in a sense... the Floyd Rose knife edge serve as the fulcrum and the string gauge and spring need to be balance to maintain zero pivot. cheap metal become dull in time while Schaller or OEM Floyd Rose use better stronger metal.. Takeuchi (Japanese) also has good quality Floyd Rose locking tremolo.

In general, i would suggest keeping the Floyd Rose guitar in a specific tuning like standard and a different guitar with another tuning. Floyd Rose locking system is much more tedious to set up if you keep changing tuning.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Fret buzz only near the nut would indicate something wrong with the nut.

You may want to take it to someone who can take a look at it and adjust/fix any issues.