Hey guys,

Just got a BOSS NS-2 and tried using it with Zoom Power supply (AC adaptor Input:AC 230V~50Hz 35mA Output: DC 9V 300mA, Polarity + to -) Have I just fried it cause it ain't working... tried on battery too, also bought a tuner pedal that wouldn't work on battery so tried plugging this Zoom Power supply in to that as well, but now I have 2 brand new pedals that don't work on battery or Power Supply, haven't tried with brand new batteries yet but they work in other things so why not the pedals? Zoom Power Supply works fine with my Zoom 505II. Please tell me I havent fried them both... What a waste of £100 if I have.

Thanks guys,
Ad
This thread might help - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845394

I am by no means an expert on this - I rely on a Voodoo Power Brick.... But I will point you in the right direction if I can.

From CyBerAliEn :

"There are three parameters to a power supply: the voltage, the current, and the polarity.

Voltage has to MATCH. If your pedal needs 9V DC, the supply needs to give 9V DC; anything different will not work. 9V AC is not the same thing; 8.5V DC is not the same thing. Etc. The polarity also needs to match! The plug, even though you can't see it readily, has a positive (+) and negative (-) side. And depending on how the pedal's circuit is setup will determine the type of polarity it needs. They need to match up!

Lastly... your current does not have to match! The power supply has to supply at least as much as the pedal needs, or more! Your typical pedal requires ~250mA... as long as your supply can supply 250mA, you are good (this is an example figure). So if you have a pedal that needs 305mA... a supply that's rated at 280mA will not work; one rated at 320mA will work; one at 580mA will work; one at 1.5A will work; etc. You can supply way more current than is needed, it just has to be more than the pedal needs.

Aside from that... the specifications in the manual's about using only this power supply is not entirely true, but it is not a marketing gimmick. This is an easy "disclaimer"... because your typical user won't understand the difference between power supplies to know what types of supplies are and are not suitable... so it is much easier to say across the board "only use our supplies"."
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Jul 6, 2016,
So by the looks of that, my NS-2 pedal should work fine with this power supply, so why doesn't it work?
Quote by smittyanthrax
Have you tried different guitar leads?Maybe a break in one of them?

Yeah they both work fine, I have tried them both directly to the amplifier.
From what I can see here, the tip is negative:

and it looks like the Zoom is also begative

That is weird...if anything, it should work on 9v battery as I don't think the Zoom adapter would damage it.

BTW - Johnny, the voltage doesn't always have to be the same, sometimes pedals would work with slightly higher or lower voltage, higher not recommended. I've used some 7.5V adapters in pedals requiring 9v on purpose, for tone bending.

How about your cables - are their 1/4 plugs metal connectors or plastic? I've seen pedals not light up on plastic connectors as they don't close the circuit.
Last edited by diabolical at Jul 6, 2016,
Quote by diabolical
From what I can see here, the tip is negative:

and it looks like the Zoom is also begative

That is weird...if anything, it should work on 9v battery as I don't think the Zoom adapter would damage it.

BTW - Johnny, the voltage doesn't always have to be the same, sometimes pedals would work with slightly higher or lower voltage, higher not recommended. I've used some 7.5V adapters in pedals requiring 9v on purpose, for tone bending.

How about your cables - are their 1/4 plugs metal connectors or plastic? I've seen pedals not light up on plastic connectors as they don't close the circuit.

Hi mate,

Yeah I was pretty sure it wouldn't harm it in anyway, and yeah cables are all fine, they work in my other pedals perfectly as does the power supply, metal connectors, high quality and everything. My only guess is that both got damaged in transit and I'm one unlucky son of a gun... sending them both back for refunds, just making sure it wasn't my fault before I sent them back.

Cheers guys!