I'm looking for any recommendations or opinions I can get about buying a guitar as an investment. And by "investment" I don't mean I plan on selling it for a profit. I just want to grow old and have a bad-ass guitar. And if I pass it down to someone else in the future, I would hope this guitar is worth something (both price-wise and history-wise).There's only 2 requirements: 1) I can't spend more than $9,999, 2) Can't be too metal, or too jazzy - just a nice happy rock-medium. I've been through plenty of medium-level guitars and I need to have a guitar that I can truly cherish. That doesn't mean I'll keep it preserved in a case under my bed, I plan to play it often.

Anyways, I was leaning towards an electric, but am completely open to considering acoustics (I already have an awesome '62 Martin, so that's why I'm not as excited to get another high-end acoustic). The problem is I've always simply played my guitars and haven't really had a dream guitar. I play them, and that's what makes me happy. But its time to get a nice one once and for all.

Here are links to models I've been considering:

I'm not a huge fan of Fenders. Even less so of relic builds. Just seems like faked authenticity.

Tl;dr
Help me fall in love with a guitar. What brand and model for the long haul? Acoustic over electric? Opinion on links provided?
Last edited by marcelaguiar at Jul 6, 2016,
I highly recommend the PRS option, I bought one recently, and it was the best purchase I've ever made. However, there is nothing wrong with a good ol Les Paul, and I would also recommend a good American Strat.
If you can get a kalamazoo made Les paul, they are awesome. Also check out The Heritage.
Sorry. No guitar is an obvious investment these days.

My suggestion is to buy the highest quality you can, get a guitar you really like, make sure it's taken care of.

The perfect storm of coincidences that made for a vintage guitar market is coming to an end, and I think we're beginning to see the end of "traditionalism" in the guitar industry. Guitar bands (other than geriatric ones) no longer top the Billboard charts, everyone has his own "mix," there's no cohesive generation out to change the world and no one shares the same sound track any more. Baby Boomers are retiring and their collections will be flooding the market over the next 20 years. New guitars are being produced at very low prices with surprisingly high quality.

Buy things you like and appreciate.
Try reverb.com and click Boutique builds. Has a ridiculous amount of very expensive guitars.
A Custom Shop Jackson Soloist. A really nice custom Carvin. Or both actually.
Honestly, if your budget really does cap out at $10k, I wouldn't be looking at any of those on your list. I'd be looking at a brand's custom shop or luthier built guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dspellman
Sorry. No guitar is an obvious investment these days.

My suggestion is to buy the highest quality you can, get a guitar you really like, make sure it's taken care of.

Buy things you like and appreciate.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No "new" guitar will be an "investment" unless its a limited edition of some sort, and even then its iffy at best.

If youre looking to HOLD your value, or even go up in the future, your absolute best bet is a vintage guitar of a strat or gibson line OR find a pre 1995 PRS. Those all fit your criteria. There are a few ibanez's that will likely go up in value, but are quite visually "loud" lol.
It's right there in the 2nd sentence:

"And by "investment" I don't mean I plan on selling it for a profit. I just want to grow old and have a bad-ass guitar."

TS wants a nice guitar.
I can't talk about much other than Fender, because that's the only real collector market I follow.

60's Jaguars: Lots can be had for $3,000 or so. They're on the up, but I anticipate them capping at $7,000ish.
60's Jazzmasters: $4,000 is par for the course for painted headstock ones, which will probably be the only ones that stand the test of time as far as collector market.
Paisley: This is going up right now, even the Japanese ones. It will have a lower ceiling, but probably end up as a faster return.
Mustangs: You can sometimes get real lucky and find an old one for under $1,500. Three years ago they were standard at $800. Get one now, I don't think we'll ever see them below $2,000 once they hit that point.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jul 7, 2016,
I jumped on my 1975 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe when I found one at a reasonable Price for exactly the reasons you stated. I always wanted a 70s Deluxe, the current ones just don´t do it for me. Plus, this guitar isn´t going to lose value anytime soon as Long as I look after it.

With your Budget you could even wander off into the world of 60s Gibsons. Some very nice instruments there that could make you happy!

These guys usually have lots of nice vintage gear!

http://www.creamcitymusic.com/vintage-2/
Last edited by kentuckyklira at Jul 7, 2016,
Quote by bob493
No "new" guitar will be an "investment" unless its a limited edition of some sort, and even then its iffy at best.

If youre looking to HOLD your value, or even go up in the future, your absolute best bet is a vintage guitar of a strat or gibson line OR find a pre 1995 PRS. Those all fit your criteria. There are a few ibanez's that will likely go up in value, but are quite visually "loud" lol.

Gibson produces several dozen "limited editions" a year, as does Fender. At this point, the term means nothing. Same goes for "signature" guitars.

The vintage market has softened considerably, and even guitars once thought would never depreciate have been barely holding station. One real, original burst that I nearly swapped a vintage car for a few years ago was recently offered at a price lower than what I was quoted. Meanwhile, the car could now purchase two of those guitars at its current value. Go figure.

There have been exceptions, of course, but it's nearly impossible to predict.
me and dspellman have talked about this on a thread a while ago. guitars are not a good investment. but that is different about getting your hands on things that you want that you won't be able to get down the line.

I am hoarding bucket brigade chips. the supply will only decrease and I will have them. they could be worth more money down the line, but I would rather have my chips. I am also getting a bigger supply of NOS geranium transistors, and other components.

I would not invest in a guitar. but do as you will.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dthmtl3
It's right there in the 2nd sentence:

"And by "investment" I don't mean I plan on selling it for a profit. I just want to grow old and have a bad-ass guitar."

TS wants a nice guitar.

yeah

to be fair, dspellman's post probably covered that, too. Admittedly, it didn't exactly give any examples (nor did my post).

Quote by dspellman

There have been exceptions, of course, but it's nearly impossible to predict.

that's probably true of most investments, though, or everyone would be buying it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 7, 2016,
I think you should find a guitar you love that's in your price range, but don't feel you have to spend up to your budget if the guitar you love falls way short of that. Or, conversely, find the guitar you love, then set about finding the budget, rather than trying to force yourself to love a guitar just because it's within your budget.

I've been an SG fan for a number of years and always fancied something vintage, but never had the budget for a 60s Standard, or suchlike, but I developed a hankering for a '65 SG Junior (the year I was born). After 10 years of me banging on about it my wife finally relented and let me buy one. It was only £3,000 sterling (about $4,000 this week), but I love it, play it as my main electric and wouldn't swap it for a '59 sunburst Les Paul.

As for investment? Who cares?! I wouldn't care if everyone came to their senses and the bottom fell out of the vintage guitar market. The value shouldn't be important, should it?
Paul Reed Smith. These are beautiful, well playing and finely crafted guitars, that will stand the test of time. I can only afford a PRS SE, but it is easily the most well rounded instrument in my 25 guitar arsenal. The one I keep going back to.
Suhr makes great guitars. And those are special. Striking,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Custom Gibson...with a slim taper neck, gold top and an ebony fretboard, what more could you want? Lol if i's a custom you could even get a piezo system in there I bet. Spend 5k on the guitar and the rest on a 3-month world tour.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Pick out a well built guitar you like and play it a lot. Suhr and PRS are lovely guitars but some might say they are overpriced for what you get. Give Carvin and Godin a look if you appreciate quality and value. If you become immensely famous as a guitarist it will gain in value. Otherwise, invest in Vanguard index funds for a sure thing.

This is a pretty good example of what happens to items sold as "collectible" or "limited edition". It's complete marketing BS.
http://antiques.lovetoknow.com/Franklin_Mint_Price_Guide
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 10, 2016,
Any of those would be a fine choice, really. But I will also go ahead and say you don't need to spend anywhere near $10K on a guitar - The vintage/collectibles market can be rather volatile, and as you said, you're mainly looking for a top tier axe to play on and keep, as opposed to something you hope to see appreciate in value.

If you wanna play it safe (and based on your list), I say go for a 70's, or early 90's Gibson LP custom. Nice examples can be had on the used market for $3K-$3.5K. You couldn't go wrong w/the PRS either.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
The old guy in town says guitars are the best investment because you dont have to pay property tax on them. He is also a expert saleman haha. He said get a fender accousticaster. They are actually really nice, but i wonder how long the plastic back can last. 20-30 years? An investment guitar has to last a looong time.
that sounds like a bit of a red herring. assuming you're making profit at the end, it doesn't really matter what tax you pay. i'd rather make £100,000 and have to pay 20% tax than make £500 and have to pay no tax. Plus depending on how much profit you make, and depending on local laws, property taxes aren't the only taxes. You might have to pay capital gains tax, for example.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The fundamental rule for all investments: Buy low-sell high.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I myself would go with a Gibson LP, is there really any other choice when it comes to insuring that your investments safe? Maybe find a Jimmy Page #2 like the ones that came out in the 90's. Every once in a while I see those selling for a decent price and I think that guitar would be a safe bet especially if something whe re to happen to Jimmy and unfortunately it's inevitable. And that would most definitely drive the price up. Anyway that's my thought on it.
^ i agree that, the way things are currently at least, the big names will probably hold their value best. But that's not the same thing as actually making money (if a gibson holds 70% of its value and a Tokai only holds 50%, say, you're still losing money on the Gibson- that's hardly an investment!), plus you never know what's going to happen in the future- past performance isn't necessarily a guide to future performance and all that.

basically no investment is 100% safe, unfortunately.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 21, 2016,
Quote by marcelaguiar

Here are links to models I've been considering:

I'm not a huge fan of Fenders. Even less so of relic builds. Just seems like faked authenticity.

I'm glad you mentioned you're not a big fan of Fenders because that rules out option #2. You basically narrowed it down yourself already in that list, the Les Paul is the safe choice. It is the one guitar, throughout history, that has continuously been over valued (even more so than the strat) and will continue to retain its value due to the fact that there will be plenty of non-guitar-playing collectors out there looking to buy them for ludicrous amounts of money. Is any Les Paul actually worth $10,000 ? No. Will someone pay you $10,000 for your old, used, Les Paul ? Absolutely! No guitar has the collectability factor like a Les Paul. I'd recommend an early 90s LP Custom and you probably don't need to spend anywhere near that 10K to get one, 4-5K should get you a beauty.

Suhr guitars are awesome but, will someone pay you even sticker price for a ten year old used Suhr? I doubt it. Is the Suhr a better guitar today? Without a doubt. The build quality on Gibson's have always been inconsistent but the one thing that is almost guaranteed is it will hold its value or at least most of its value. You'll always be able to sell that thing for a good sum. Like others have said no investment is a guarantee, but when it comes to guitars, virtually every guitar is a non-investment, unless it's a Les Paul. If it's a Les Paul, you can almost always get your money back at least, or most of it.
-Signature Stratocaster 'Super Galaxy'
-2015 Ibanez RG655 Prestige
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer
How good are you at predicting the future?

Cause if you aren't anything but a master at it, you'll never be sure what a certain guitar will be worth in the future. Either way, guitars aren't something super viable as long term investments IMO.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.