Poll: Do you trust your police?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you trust your police?
Yes
29 48%
No
31 52%
Voters: 60.
Page 1 of 4
In America a lot of people don't trust the police, sometimes for good reason (police killings, militarized tactics, racial prejudices).

Do you trust the police where you live?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
fuck no

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
nope

Why I’ve Never Respected The Police
http://thoughtcatalog.com/michael-malice/2014/12/why-ive-never-respected-the-police/

I was born in the former Soviet Union and came to the United States when I was two. It is only recently, with the escalating segregation of the US into Team Red and Team Blue, that I’ve come to realize just how much being raised in a Russian household affected my thinking. And nowhere is this more evident than in my perspective on the police—or rather, my awareness of the American perspective on the police.

In Russian culture, the police are the enemy. If they come to your home, bad things come with them. I don’t mean “bad” like when the landlord tells you the hot water will be out for a couple of days. I mean “bad” as in your entire life and that of everyone in your family is going to be messed up very heavily and very quickly.

One corollary to this was that calling the cops is considered the worst thing you can do in terms of character. It is almost the equivalent of bringing a rabid dog to your enemy’s house. Yes, your enemy might get what’s coming to them. Maybe. Hopefully. But you’re still stuck with a savage beast to deal with, one that will be just as happy to bite anyone and everyone. And you brought this thing upon your own family? What kind of person are you?

Growing up in America, I constantly heard that I could trust the police. They were there to help me and to keep me safe. They were admirable, heroes even. I was told it in school, I read it in comic books, and it was one of the lessons She-Ra imparted to us at the end of an episode. Yet I couldn’t reconcile what I was being taught with what I was seeing with my own eyes. Yes, some police officers were more polite than others. But every single one of them presented themselves as trashy, tacky louts—and I say this as someone who grew up in a Mafia neighborhood, not Park Avenue.

These were not people with capes waving behind them. They were not aspirational figures, Lady Liberty at her best. These were people that I, as an immigrant, desperately wanted to avoid becoming. These were degenerates, America gone soft and repellent. Unless you are taught otherwise, unless you have blinders on, it is impossible to look at police and not see the worst-mannered people in your area. Yes, sometimes they produce good consequences—but so does chemotherapy. That doesn’t mean that people like chemotherapy. Nor is chemo something you want around except in the direst situations. And even then, you want it to be over as quickly as possible.

Being a cop is the only profession where it’s not only appropriate to yell at strangers—it’s necessary. It’s to choose a career where you place yourself on a plane above everyone else, by law. Their argument goes that “someone” has to do it. Maybe that’s true. To defend becoming a cop is to give the Jack Nicholson speech in A Few Good Men. Perhaps there are a few good men in the police force. But they are far, far outnumbered by the bad apples because of the very nature of the role.

Physicians know to “first, do no harm.” Our legal system is based on the principle that it’s better one hundred guilty men go free than one innocent man be jailed. But being a cop doesn’t work like that. To wear a badge means to traumatize people who are innocent. It’s to harass adults who, upon inspection, have done nothing wrong. That is an unavoidable part of the job, a function of its statistical approach to justice. You put on a badge knowing that you will sometimes do the wrong thing. Once you give up your conscience, once you disregard your accountability for your ethical choices, you’ve given up the most basic thing that makes us human. Knowingly doing evil is as low as it gets. That, and that alone, is enough for me to condemn the police. Not just the “bad” cops, but each and every single one of them.
Having known a few cops, some are ok. Some are people you grew up with and thought they were going to be cashiers until their 40s when it was too sad to continue and they ended their lives...but then they turned out to be cops and now you're scared of them because the person who can barely do basic math now has a gun and the ability to fuck your life up.

They're at my apartment complex almost every daily, sometimes two to three times. I live in a fairly large apartment complex though with a lot of people, and it's low-income apartments for the most part.

I'm not scared of them. Like any authority figure, I do get nervous around them. I'm not going to quiver in fear by any means.
Small town cops are bitches.
as someone who has lived in both the UK and US I can say the cops are one of the most noticeable differences in each country. in the US anyone who passes high school can become a cop while in the UK there is such a more rigorous and difficult process, almost like a lighter version of becoming a marine or special ops or whatever the suck it's called. this means you get more intelligent and all around decent people being cops in the UK while in the US you get, as severel-metal said, guys who tried to cheat off of you in 10th grade algebra on a power trip.
idk i haven't lived in america but they do murder a lot of black people and i was watching a couple of those prank videos on youtube when i got bored last night and it struck me that they were unnecessarily aggressive and tended to use inappropriate language while trying to enforce laws that weren't there to be enforced but i dunno maybe that's just florida

in the uk idk they're racist and i wouldn't want to deal with them but not too bad otherwise
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Police officers, at least in the small towns where I grew up, tend to come off as the sort of people who want power without having to maintain the degree of responsibility, work ethic, or professionalism expected from most people in positions of authority. Basically fat lazy bureaucrats with guns and bad SAT scores.

Quote by bradulator
These were degenerates, America gone soft and repellent.

State troopers and detectives/investigators are a different matter though, and they're alright in my book. I don't necessarily "trust" them, but they're on the whole competent and professional.
I think one of the only thing keeping people out of being cops here is the psychological examination. I knew a guy who had a slight anger issue (alongside egomania), but it was enough that the edmonton police denied him. I'm not sure the next time he can re-apply, but I think he's definitely going to try again.

Essentially, here is what you need for the minimum (does not guarantee anything):

-be a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of application;
-possess an Alberta high school diploma (or equivalent)* ;
-have good moral character;
-be in excellent health and physical condition;
-meet visual and hearing examination standards;
-be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
-possess a valid driver’s licence with a maximum of five demerits (graduated driver’s licence not accepted);
-have good written and verbal communications skills; and
-not have a criminal conviction for which a pardon has not been granted.

* The EPS prefers its applicants to have two years of recent and verifiable employment with the same employer or two years of post-secondary education.
I have lived/live in a small town so we have a slightly better relationship with the police here.

However generally speaking no not in the slightest. Individuals may be perfectly good people but Althusser reference here
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by severed-metal
I think one of the only thing keeping people out of being cops here is the psychological examination. I knew a guy who had a slight anger issue (alongside egomania), but it was enough that the edmonton police denied him. I'm not sure the next time he can re-apply, but I think he's definitely going to try again.

Essentially, here is what you need for the minimum (does not guarantee anything):

Are these supposed to be "stricter" requirements than generalized American police requirements?

Anywho, yes I generally trust law enforcement. I have a healthy (defined by me) amount of distrust.
My God, it's full of stars!
Having known and worked closely with many officers I'd give a qualified yes.

Nobody with governmental power should be trusted automatically, but in my experience most cops are decent people.

The bad ones can be really bad though.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Dreadnought
Are these supposed to be "stricter" requirements than generalized American police requirements?.

I have no idea, what are the american police requirements?

I was just pointing out the low standard to get into the EPS.
Quote by severed-metal
I have no idea, what are the american police requirements?

I was just pointing out the low standard to get into the EPS.

There are no national standards, each department is independent, excepting very limited state laws.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yes I do.

Good and bad in any job/any industry. Keep in mind they have to deal with the scum of society on a daily basis
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Not even slightly. Applies to the entirety of the justice system.

EDIT: To be clear I'm not talking about police generally. Just in the places I've lived. Applies to the military too. They aren't good people. They don't have a serve and protect mantra. They police lives with force, utilizing full bureaucratic support.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 6, 2016,
Ever since this happened, the US has looked less and less appealing, even more so than normal:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/la-cops-shoot-kill-man-selling-music-baton-rouge-store-article-1.2700548

UK police are a weird mythical race of ghosts, almost. They'll stop you if you're being a prick but they're generally just normal people doing a job.
However, unless they've been given the clearance to do so, the lack of murderous fire arms means there's no tension when one goes by or when a police car shows up for whatever reason. Unless you've got reason to fear them (ie, you're a criminal) then nothing happens.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I can't say that I trust cops as a whole but from my experiences with police here in Indiana/Indianapolis I can't recall ever having had a negative experience the same goes for most people that I know, I have a few friends that have told me of bad experiences but they are the kind of people who probably would not treat a cop with any respect from the start.

TBH I have never had any bad experiences with cops out of state either, I do not have a criminal record just a few traffic tickets spread out throughout my life and I am white. I'm sure both of these traits play in my favor.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

The only "scary" run ins with cops I've had were getting pulled over for speeding a few times, then keeping my cool and being honest with them (yes, I was speeding, didn't realize I was going that fast, didn't have my mind on the road, sorry, try to make conversation) and they let me go. Hell, the first time I got pulled over I was doing 75 in a 55 and it turned into a "who are your folks" type conversation, turns out he went to school with my brother. No ticket, just a verbal warning and told me to slow down. Knowing my brother probably should have gotten me arrested. Small town cops.

Other than that I've known a couple of cops and they were really great people that I would definitely trust. I'm going by a very small sample size though.
Quote by EpiExplorer
Ever since this happened, the US has looked less and less appealing, even more so than normal:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/la-cops-shoot-kill-man-selling-music-baton-rouge-store-article-1.2700548

Yeah, I really hope those cops don't get away with some kind of wishy-washy charge. Regardless of whether or not he at some point in the altercation presented a risk to the cops, that guy was already pinned on the ground when one of the officers shot him repeatedly in the chest.
Fuck no.
And yeh they are racist but if there are no black people around they don't pout about not being able to abuse people. White trailer trash will do just fine.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 6, 2016,
Depends where I am. Really small towns tend to have dick heads looking for something to do. In cities they're usually a bit more chill and don't really care about trivial stuff. Suburbs you get a mix

My neighbor is a cop and I have some friends who went into it. They're all cool dudes
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
The police where I live have pulled guns on me and a buddy because we drove in and then back out of an apartment complex that we would not have gone to "unless we were buying drugs" and have had them try nd say me and 3 of my buddies were going to rob a convenience store because we were out past curfew (I was like 12 at the time)

So not really, no
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Jul 6, 2016,
I trust them to brutalize, kidnap and murder me, to never stand up for my interests and to always side with those in power and fight any progressive movements, projects or free spaces.

Not all of them are, per se, bad people. But they all work for a brutal and inhuman system.
Last edited by AnotherArsonist at Jul 6, 2016,
I have known many police officers in my town on a pretty personal level my whole life, and have some law enforcement members in my family. I trust them, but I also have a pretty unique and obviously biased position.

Sometimes I'll be riding with people and they'll see a cop car and go "Fucking police, I hate them." and I'm like dude you're a middle class white college-going man you have literally everything going for you and the police have never wronged you.

So it definitely can be a cultural thing. I try not to be too defined by the culture of others, though *tips fedora*
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I've had more then a couple of bad instances with them. they all happened when I wasn't the guilty party. mostly abuse of power and breaking their word with me. they're all long stories..... when I've been guilty of doing something, never had an issue with them.

so i guess yes and no
Last edited by mattedbird at Jul 6, 2016,
I want to trust the police but then they go and do horrible things all the time in my town and neighboring city.

I recognize I need them to keep order and that they aren't bad. It's just impossible to tell a good cop from a bad cop at a glance.

So no. I won't trust a cop unless I absolutely need one.
Quote by Dreadnought
It's okay guys, they don't trust you either

shocker

Last edited by MinterMan22 at Jul 6, 2016,
Quote by eGraham
I have known many police officers in my town on a pretty personal level my whole life, and have some law enforcement members in my family. I trust them, but I also have a pretty unique and obviously biased position.

Sometimes I'll be riding with people and they'll see a cop car and go "Fucking police, I hate them." and I'm like dude you're a middle class white college-going man you have literally everything going for you and the police have never wronged you.

Yeah but they work for a brutal and inhuman system
I don't think they are needed as much as we think.
I lived in a small town once where the entire police department was completely shut down for curruption for 6 months. Nothing happened. Life carried on exactly the same.
Quote by Dreadnought
Yeah but they work for a brutal and inhuman system

I trust them, but there's some pretty power trippy-looking stuff that goes down, I don't think anyone can, or should, deny that.

I don't think their system is inhuman, but it's certainly not perfect. But then again, what is? If there were perfect systems we may not even need police.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
I trust them, but there's some pretty power trippy-looking stuff that goes down, I don't think anyone can, or should, deny that.

I don't think their system is inhuman, but it's certainly not perfect. But then again, what is? If there were perfect systems we may not even need police.

I was making fun of the dude who said that, using italics to emphasize my sarcasm
Last edited by Dreadnought at Jul 6, 2016,
No I try to avoid interacting with them.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Yea I considered editing to point out that I noted your sarcasm, but I didn't.

I chose poorly
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

noop.

i reserve my shitty backtalky attitude for when they start acting like dicks tho. im not one of those people that immediately shoots their mouth off when approached.

also yes, im white middle class but ive had a handful of irritating disrespectful encounters with cops. never gotten the shit kicked out of me for no reason, but i dont think you can write off poor behavior on the part of the police just because it doesnt rise to the level of bodily harm.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Page 1 of 4