Question for you Strat guys.
I'm fancying another Strat and i'm thinking i may go for a Jap one(or two) as i've heard/read good things.
One(or two or three)question
What is the difference between 'Crafted in Japan' and 'Made in Japan'?
Is one nicer?Which are more sought after?

Also,How do they stack up against modern US standard models?I've owned a couple and currently have a 77(which i know feels much different due to the radius)
See i could either get one US Standard(or possibly an American Vintage at a push) or go for two Jap Strats and get a maple and a rosewood board as i'm torn between the two.I would love to get one of each if they stack up well against US Strats as i want decent quality also.
Thanks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Japan#.22Made_in_Japan.22_and_.22Crafted_in_Japan.22

assuming that's correct

i've tried very few japanese fenders... personally i'd probably go with tokai (or similar) and cut out the middle man or try to get up to the (Fender) USA reissues. The standards are a more modern style of strat (which is nice too, it just depends on what you want).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There was a year in which they swapped the stamps, but it really doesn't mean anything. I want to say it was somewhere in the range of 1990 -1992?

EDIT: Dave's link confirms. Didn't realize it was different factories.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jul 6, 2016,
well, as I said, assumming it's correct I don't know anything about the Japanese Fenders, I just remembered at one point looking them up on wikipedia for some reason and the link had that info
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've played a couple of Japanese Fenders (two or three '62 Custom Tele Reissues and a matching headstock Jag) and my impression was pretty uniform between them. They look and feel great, pickups are passable but not amazing and switches/pots generally deserve immediate replacement because they feel like ass*.

*In a purely proverbial sense.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 6, 2016,
I have two, a pink paisley Strat from the 80s and an early 90 "Japan Collectable" series '57 Strat. They´re both great. They made a run of CiJ paisley strats that couldn´t compete with the 80s Paisleys IMHO but were still very nice guitars.
Its weird.I tried a couple of American stds today and after playing my 77 for a while i don't actually like the compound radius fretboard on the new US models.I like the vintage radius and slightly thicker neck better.I think a 9.5 like my mim Tele would be perfect.Although i did try the mij Richie Kotzen model and that thing was really great.The neck somehow felt nicer.
Deffo need to try and find some more mij models which are pretty tough to find here.There is one shop i know which sells used that i can try.Failing that it may have to be an American Vintage Reissue
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Jul 7, 2016,
^ you probably know this already, but just in case you don't (since it's not clear from your post), but vintage radius is 7.25" i.e. a fair bit curvier than the 9.5" radius on your MIM tele.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ you probably know this already, but just in case you don't (since it's not clear from your post), but vintage radius is 7.25" i.e. a fair bit curvier than the 9.5" radius on your MIM tele.
Yeah sorry.What i mean is that i prefer the 7.25 to the compound radius but the 9.5 seems to be the sweet spot for me.I think if i found a Strat with that radius it would feel perfect for me.I've read that the Richie Kotzen model that i tried and really liked the feel of has a fatter neck.So I'm wondering if that is part of it too.I think i need a slightly fatter neck but with the 9.5 radius.Probably need to get a Custom model to find those exact specs tbh but a normal Strat neck shape/size does'nt feel terrible.
Think i'm gonna see if my local used guitar store has some Japs i can try out.
Might be below the range you're looking at but Classic Player '50s models - the Baja Tele and the Strat - both have 9.5" on soft V profiles.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Might be below the range you're looking at but Classic Player '50s models - the Baja Tele and the Strat - both have 9.5" on soft V profiles.
Yeah i've never tried the Strat.I will give it a go.I actually had the Baja Tele and it was a great guitar.However for some reason i did'nt get on with the neck and i sold it.I don't know if it was the V shape i did'nt like or what.
I am kind of considering that mij Richie Kotzen model although i think the pickups are slightly too pokey.
Also i think that has a 12" radius and it was comfortable for me.Maybe the radius is'nt my main issue but i just like a slightly thicker neck but not the V.
Idk tbh.I'll more than likely end up with an American std
Or some mij model.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Jul 8, 2016,
yeah quite a few of the models have 9.5" radius i think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well 9.5" is supposed to be standard. The trouble is, the chunkier necks tend to be exclusive to vintage-styled models, so if you like those and the modern radius you have pretty limited options.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
yeah the funny thing is that while it seems like you have a lot of choice, if you have specific requirements often that choice gets whittled down pretty quickly.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
9.5 is the current standard for most Fender guitars. if you want a fatter neck with 9.5 the new Jimi Hendrix model might do the trick.

Japanese strats are a whole different ball game. they have many models with different specs. they tend to use original specs for more vintage orientated guitars and are often closer in that dept than US reissues. now one thing to keep in mind with Japanese fenders is that the wood is often basswood instead of alder or ash.
Nice American Standard?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Nice American Standard?
Yeah.I love it.I have wanted one for a while and i already have a US Strat so i thought the most sensible option was to get the Tele.I do still want and MIJ Strat one day.I have a problem.The gas gets the better of me
Quote by EyeballPaul
Yeah.I love it.I have wanted one for a while and i already have a US Strat so i thought the most sensible option was to get the Tele.I do still want and MIJ Strat one day.I have a problem.The gas gets the better of me
Looks great, and the GAS is just something we all have to struggle through. I like my Teles three-saddle myself, but a nice Tele is a nice Tele.

What's the finish?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Looks great, and the GAS is just something we all have to struggle through. I like my Teles three-saddle myself, but a nice Tele is a nice Tele.

What's the finish?
It's Bergundy Mist.I really like it.It's sparkly but you can't tell until you get up close.It's pretty much the same colour as the Wampler Dual Fusion pedal if you've seen that?Maybe a little darker.
very nice

i didn't realise burgundy mist was as dark as that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?