Page 1 of 3
I was too young to be aware of the OKC bombing, and 9/11 is the next earliest big thing that happened that I remember so yeah that. 2nd grade

I remember the Broncos/Packers SB though
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at Jul 6, 2016,
That's kind of interesting. Honestly it's most likely a sporting event, but for something that's more "real" news than I'm not sure

I very very vaguely remember Princess Diana dying. Didn't know what the hell was going on but I remember my mom being upset.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I remember the TV being on after dinner & hearing about OJ Simpson (whoever the fuck that was) all the time.
Yea, the OJ Simpson stuff has got to be the earliest that I remember hearing about it on the news a lot and watching that footage of the chase. Happened in 1994 according to the internet, so I was 4 years old.
We used to sit and watch this kids version of the news at school every day.

It wasn't 9/11 it was before that. I think it was just a generic report on some scientific research
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Diana car crash I think, or something mother theresa related.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I remember being in the car with my mom when they announced that John Lennon had been killed.

A few years later I was watching TV with my mom when the story broke of the attempted assassination of President Reagan.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 6, 2016,
Princess Diana's death, especially because I was in Paris when it happened and some of my earliest memories are from that time
I have nothing important to say
My earliest stuff was hearing about how the evil Soviet Union was going to murder us all.
And how we must protect poor little Afghanistan from the evil USSR.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 6, 2016,
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"

I can remember seeing ol' Bill saying it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
OJ and the Clinton scandal are two others but I don't know if I remember when they actually happened or just people talking about them afterwards
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
y2k? i slept through it anyway lol

something in the newspaper to do with jimmy carter being president. I can still see the picture in my head. get it out!

couldn't tell the story exactly
Last edited by mattedbird at Jul 6, 2016,
Yeah 9/11. Was about six and didn't really understand it, I thought it was an accident. I would explain to all these adults that, having analyzed and digested all the materials available to me, I had concluded that, had the plane veered to the left, the accident would've been avoided.

I'd find out that it was purposeful soon enough, but wouldn't really understand it until I'm 16 or so. I mean the impact, death toll, sheer horror of people jumping out of a building to avoid pain. Before this, when I was 11, I did watch United 93 and it fueled a portion of my early hate of Muslims lol.
Quote by MinterMan22
y2k? i slept through it anyway lol
i was gonna say 9/11, but i remember Y2K because my one looney grandfather spent a year stockpiling toilet paper, gallons of water, and canned goods.

we ate a lot of canned food at his house for a while after that.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I remember Ronald Reagan campaigning for his 2nd term and destroying Walter Mondale.

This thread makes me realize how much has changed since then.

Afghanistan was an ally instead of evil

Southern and rural white people voted Democrat instead of Republican.

People who spoke out in support of gay people were being fired instead of people being fired for anti gay statements.

Conservative people were the only people that wanted to overbearingly interfere in people's personal lives instead of now both liberals and conservatives doing it.

Every black comedian could still tell that hack joke about how there will never be a black president, but if there was he would be all like [ insert ridiculous black people stereotype activities ]
Oh and political commentators would always refer to this thing called "the button"

Nuclear War paranoia was huge so during the presidential campaigns there was always the line of "Do you really want this guy on....the button???"
The thought was that in the president's bedroom or somewhere there was a button that launched nuclear weapons.
This is how clueless people were before the internet
Quote by EyeNon15
Afghanistan was an ally instead of evil

Still an ally. The US isn't at war with Afghanistan.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Google it dummy

I guess me saying cute wasn't enough to convey my sarcasm.
My non sarcastic retort would be - lol, naive
i dont know if it was desert storm or what, had to have been ~1994/95 as i was only a wee lad, but i remember the bombing of baghdad with the nightvision green filter on the tv. remember thinking it had something to do with my dad and i was like crying and shit over it
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
First that I myself watched on tv without parents watching was Ayrton Senna's death. Next up Princess Di.
Quote by shadowsoldier08
i dont know if it was desert storm or what, had to have been ~1994/95 as i was only a wee lad, but i remember the bombing of baghdad with the nightvision green filter on the tv. remember thinking it had something to do with my dad and i was like crying and shit over it

That was more like 91/92
It was the first war live on tv.
I remember not wanting to watch it because I thought it was boring.
My dad got pissed that I didn't give a shit about watching it. He was all dramatic This is War!!!! It's Warrr!!! This is serious!!!
I was like how serious can this be??? We pretty much have a military better than GI Joe. How bad could this possibly go off script??? They are throwing rocks at our shit.
I remember watching those Apollo missions on TV and live combat footage from Vietnam. The most dramatic I remember was the evacuation of Saigon...I can still remember people hanging onto the skids of those last helicopters pulling out of Saigon.

The first war brought to our living rooms was Vietnam, Eyenon15, not Desert Storm. In fact it was the lessons of Vietnam that led the US military to sharply reduce the press on the front lines. The military noted the strong reaction the citizens had to combat footage from Vietnam and wanted to prevent that in later wars. I guess as far as the "WOW" factor footage you are right...but Desert Storm was like a pulled back perspective showing bombs launched from far range. The Vietnam footage was intimate stuff showing casualties on the ground. Different animal, I suppose.
Last edited by TobusRex at Jul 6, 2016,
Quote by bradulator
I was too young to be aware of the OKC bombing, and 9/11 is the next earliest big thing that happened that I remember so yeah that. 2nd grade

Damn I feel old
My God, it's full of stars!
this is a tough one
maybe bush's inauguration on live television?

first major one that comes into my mind is 9/11, because i was pretty young when that happened
i remember watching footage of it on TV.
can't really remember anything as important as that in the late-90's
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

odd, I was just thinking about 9/11 and wondering how people here remembered/experienced it about an hour ago

It's probably my earliest vivid memory of a news story feeling like something important
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Dreadnought
Damn I feel old

None of the 7th graders I taught last year were born before 9/11/2001
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Probably the '96 election season.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
haha, remember that time that guy Nelson Mandela died in the '80s?

Oh, wait.

Nevermind, I forgot that you will never know.
There was always some depressing shit on the news in the 80's about Northern Ireland/ IRA, eventually just stopped paying attention cause didn't wanna believe people were that retarded.

This ad ran several times a day and eventually you don't blink an eye, it was just "how it is in the north".

Last edited by UltimateGuizar at Jul 7, 2016,
I don't know, I didn't really pay much attention to the news as a kid. I remember 9/11 pretty well for only being 6 or 7, don't know if I ever watched it on tv though.
9/11 was the big one (I was 9) but I also remember the Bush/Gore presidential race (I was in San Diego at the time) and my parents being mildly upset about the Queen Mum dying.

But yeah, waking up in California and seeing the aftermath of 9/11 on the news and then going to school, seeing all the teachers in tears and assembling in the quad to sing the national anthem is definitely the most vivid memory.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Page 1 of 3