Hey all,
Could someone please advise me if this Epiphone Les Paul Custom is real or fake?
The paint trim at the tip of the headstock, and the logo look a bit off to me, but I could use some experienced opinions.
These pictures were sent by the seller:
http://i.imgur.com/sIbpExx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Jk4fod3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eFG4Cvh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KVUnKjL.jpg

Thanks in advance
Last edited by matthewli244 at Jul 7, 2016,
Not being funny, but if you were going to go to all the effort to fake a guitar, wouldn't you make it a Gibson?
Quote by Screaming Dave
Not being funny, but if you were going to go to all the effort to fake a guitar, wouldn't you make it a Gibson?
This has been addressed a million times, but basically no. You can still sell a fake Epi for way more than it costs to make and the buyers are less likely to be able to tell the difference. Also, a lot of the parts that can be had for cheap are Epiphone parts, which are telltale signs on fake Gibsons. Fake an Epi with them and nobody's any the wiser. So there's a lot of fake Epis around, actually.

OP, I can see what you mean and it does look a tad off, especially the logo placement. I'd say steer clear but someone else may notice more definite clues.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 7, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
This has been addressed a million times, but basically no. You can still sell a fake Epi for way more than it costs to make and the buyers are less likely to be able to tell the difference. Also, a lot of the parts that can be had for cheap are Epiphone parts, which are telltale signs on fake Gibsons. Fake an Epi with them and nobody's any the wiser. So there's a lot of fake Epis around, actually.

OP, I can see what you mean and it does look a tad off, especially the logo placement. I'd say steer clear but someone else may notice more definite clues.
The second 'e' in the logo is wrong. It should be a smaller version of the capital, not a lower case(and it's off-centre), and the binding is coming into to deep a 'v'.
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Jul 7, 2016,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
The second 'e' in the logo is wrong. It should be a smaller version of the capital, not a lower case(and it's off-centre), and the binding is coming into to deep a 'v'.
The "e" isn't a sure sign, as they've messed around with the logo a lot over the years and both have been used (in fact I think they switched in the last three or four years). The other two points I agree. The outermost layer of binding shouldn't thicken in the middle like that.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 7, 2016,
Fair point, I only have a 2002 and a 2015, and the 2002 is put away because I cba sorting the frets on it right now.
Holding my Epiphone silverburst Les Paul Custom LTD up against your photos, the only things I see are the capital E being spaced too far off, and the whole logo being too high up on the headstock. Having said that, these two guitars were probably made in different counties in different years and all comparisons are moot. (Can I be 100% sure mine is legit since I bought it second hand? NO, and I don't care.) Can you play it before you buy it? Does it really matter if it's not a "real" Epiphone, which is only a "fake" Gibson at best anyways. If it plays and sounds good and is at a decent price, why not buy it? Does the name on the headstock really matter that much?
Last edited by n3cr0p57 at Jul 7, 2016,
Is it real or fake... a good epi copy is hard to spot, as n3cr0 pointed out, if you can play it and it feels good and sounds good and the price is fair...

The only issue we have really noticed is the binding on the headstock, to me, this points to an issue of quality in construction, if they screwed that up, whether it is real or fake, there are probably other construction issues with the guitar.